Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• MailfistMailfist Posts: 194MI6 Agent

Good to know. Not an expression I've ever heard before. Still any day with a hump in it is a happy day 😀

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,014MI6 Agent
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • JB1106340JB1106340 Posts: 408MI6 Agent

Hard to argue with that in terms of similarities! It's also £15 so pretty damn budget!

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 1,895MI6 Agent

Hi all! We have a couple of post updates. I wasn't able to post the first one due to AJB's small technical blip. But I found some good options for the QoS Haiti jacket:

And today I posted updates for the NTTD Jamaica look (shirt, jeans, boat shoes and sunglasses):

@JB1106340 That is a great budget option for the duster! Nice find!

This weekend is a little crazy for me (my wife and son are riding in a 40 mile bicycle rally and I'm playing the role of support crew). So please excuse me if I'm out of contact for the next couple of days.

Cheers gang!

John

• GaryorangeGaryorange Posts: 119MI6 Agent

Hi John

Any good alternatives to the Skyfall ‘rooftop’ overcoat.

much harder to find than I thought it would be!

• armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 534MI6 Agent
    edited May 2

$400 for a brown wool silk linen blend blazer by Tombolini!

Is it just me or does this have the same issue as the Royale blazer of looking a bit more pink than intended?

Maybe someone with more experience (@canoe2 ) with the original or Royale linen blazer can shed some light?

https://www.yoox.com/us/49692057RQ/item#dept=men&sts=sr_men80&cod10=49692057RQ&sizeId=7

Yes. Consssssiderably.

@Garyorange I haven't looked for one in a while. But it was one I was planning on hunting for it again closer towards the fall (along with the coat from the QoS finale). Sorry I don't have anything off the top of my head!

@armenianmovieman Good timing! I'm working on the post update for the SPECTRE Morocco chinos for tomorrow (the J&Ms are on there). And I was just starting to check out blazer options. I think the problem with that Tombolini is that it has so many thread colors running through the fabric, it gives it a much warmer look. It's like the base color is a rust. But then we have this purple cross check overlay that makes it lean more pinkish. After what happend with Daniel (and knowing how hard he worked to really nail that color for his repro), I've come to the conclusion the safest thing is to go with the "Screen" color (sort of warm mid-brown thanks to the filters washing it out) rather than trying to match the "In Real Life" color, which is almost impossible to confirm just from photos. I think it was you that shared the Tyrwhitt blazer? That, to me, is the better choice for the money

Thanks for the response @canoe2 !

I was also curious if the Rit dye shrank your blazer, or does that only happen with the coffee dye?

Yes. Consssssiderably.

My blazer didn't shrink noticeably when I did the RIT treatment. Normally you're supposed to use near boiling water for the dye. But I just used boiling water to create the dye solution and then added that to cold water in the bin (so the dye bath was basically just lukewarm). And then I hung it dry after rinsing in cold water. So the fabric was never exposed to that much heat.

Morning all! I've updated the post on the SPECTRE Morocco Chinos with new options. As I mentioned, I included the J&M chinos and credited @armenianmovieman (with an assist from @St_John_Smythe ) for the find

Just so everyone has a heads up, I have a LOT planned for May on the website. Definitely some Bond posts (sunglasses, starting the annual series on summer shirts, a (hopefully!) fun post on how to fix bad Bond outfits) but I'm also planning posts on other spy films and style icons. I think if I get 75% of what I want to do done, I'll be happy! 🤣

But I would be very interested to hear other what other actors/films you look to for inspiration.

Cheers!

John

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 4,687MI6 Agent

Great post! Very enjoyable.

I tend to think of those the Skyfall Barbour look is the one that really crossed over- it's the one I felt that even non fans saw in the movie and thought looks great and wanted to copy.

• MailfistMailfist Posts: 194MI6 Agent

Alternative for the TB shirt. £35

Alternative for the SP Morocco jacket. £90

Both are Jack & Jones. On sale in Thread.

edited May 6

To go along with the Morocco chino alternatives, I've had this blazer on my mind a lot lately. 😄

It looks like this is the SS22 version of the Brunello blazer? This is 49% wool, 42% linen, and 9% silk and costs $4,000....... I've seen it mentioned around the forum that it's possible to do a group buy of the exact screen accurate blazer with BC. I've always been curious how low it could go with enough people lol

Also, Old Navy has a decent Talamone Levi's alternative at the moment going for $21 after promo code. This is a boot cut jean, but there also seems to be a straight leg twill version (linked below) as well but a little bit pricier.

The color is called "Surplus Khaki".

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=393974002&pcid=999&vid=1&&searchText=surplus%20khaki#pdp-page-content

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=3392310023830&pcid=999&vid=1&searchText=surplus+khaki#pdp-page-content

Yes. Consssssiderably.

Hi everyone!

Last night my Instagram account was hacked. So first and foremost I want to warn everyone to NOT trust any messages that come from that account! It's not me. I explain more about what happened in this post:

If any of you are willing to help spread the message that the Iconic Alternatives IG was hacked, I would greatly appreciate it. Again, I want to make sure that as many people as know as possible so that no one else is put at risk!

Thanks and enjoy your weekend, gang!

John

• ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 935MI6 Agent

Sorry to hear that John - hope you get it sorted without too much hassle, fingers crossed

• RonBerryRonBerry Posts: 17MI6 Agent
    edited May 8

Sorry to hear that, John @canoe2 .

On another 'John' note, this John Smedley Bennett henley looks to be a great alternative to the A&S one in NTTD.

It is pricey however, which is to be expected with John Smedley.

Cheers

Ron

Hi gang! Sorry for the absence. I haven't disappeared or dropped off the face of the earth. Just dealing with the IG account hack. I'm working to get new content up on the website later this week!

Cheers!

John

• St_John_SmytheSt_John_Smythe Posts: 10MI6 Agent

Hello! I'm a big fan of your work! I am focused on the QoS Talamone sweater combo look now. I wear the Tommy Bahama Boracay khaki pants and I also wear Seven for All Mankind Slimmy jeans in khaki to complete my look ... what are the current other best alternative pants to complete the look? Thank you!

Hello! I did an update to the post on STA-Prests jeans at the end of Aprill that you can see here:

I chose the Banana Republic ones in Khaki as the best option. But there are a lot of other alternatives depending on the fit you want.

Cheers!

John

• asd007asd007 Posts: 204MI6 Agent

Anyone know of any current ready to wear manufacturers of a linen shirt with a cooper collar that is similar to the one Brosnan wore in the Cuba scene in Die Another Day? Been looking online and not being successful.

Got the post on the Summer shirts starting next week. So long sleeve linens should be coming towards the end of the month. If I see any before then I'll give you a heads up!

• asd007asd007 Posts: 204MI6 Agent

Happy Sunday, gang! New (or more like updated) post on Bond sunglasses

In other news, I've had to create a NEW Instagram account: @iconic_alternatives, which you can view here:

If you do follow me on Instagram, I would strongly recommend UNFOLLOWING the old account (@iconicalternatives) since it is no longer secure nor under my control. I have used a BLUE avatar for the new account so you can tell which is which. My priority is to make sure everyone's IG acccounts stay safe so please excuse me if I sound a little dramatic about this. And if anyone wants to share the news about the new account, I would greatly appreciate it! I'll be do a more focused roll out of it tomorrow. I'll also be updating all the old IG links in the post throughout today, so please do NOT click on any of those until tomorrow.

And last, I've changed the location of the old Quick Links page (the page that catelogued all the most recent posts). That is now called the Latest Posts page and you can see it here:

It's also been changed in the main top menu.

And that's about it! Cheers, everyone!

John

• ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 935MI6 Agent

Thanks John. Just unfollowed the old and followed the new - keep up the good work

• Agent EternalAgent Eternal Athens, GreecePosts: 124MI6 Agent

Ι reported the old account under the option 'pretending to be someone else'.

I hope this will help you regain control of it. Then you can merge it to the new one.

I am surprised it has taken so long for Instagram before helping you. I am pissed off actually. Especially every time I see a post from that bitcoin guy.

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 545MI6 Agent

I did the same. Happy to see IA back in action! 👍️

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."

I really appreciate the support, gentlemen. @Ornithologist I feel like I haven't heard from you in a while! Great to (virtually) see you!

@Agent Eternal thanks for reporting him. As for Instagram responding: from all the research I've done, it seems like IG takes a looooong time to deal with issues like this, if they ever do. I've already sent 3 reports, left voice messages (they have a phone number no one ever answers), contacted them through DM from my FB Page, sent follow up emails. Basically everything I learned about and can think of. And so far ... not a word back.

As I said in the IA post about this, the truth is it was my own fault. I was in a rush, wasn't paying attention, etc etc. But there is truly zero support available when something like this happens. I mean losing my IG account isn't exactly the most serious thing happening in the world right now (and aside from this, everything else is going pretty well and my family is happy and healthy). So I try to keep it in perspective. But I can't help but think about someone who is the victim of harassment, identity theft, bullying, revenge p0rn photos or things like that. IG/FB seem to have absolutely no interest in taking rapid action and helping (despite all the "Support" buttons they provide). It's really scary. So, I'm using this as an opportunity to teach my son how important it is to protect his identity online and be smart.

All the best!

John

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 545MI6 Agent

I really appreciate the support, gentlemen. @Ornithologist I feel like I haven't heard from you in a while! Great to (virtually) see you!

Likewise :) I've been pretty dissapointed with NTTD and now we'll have to wait years for a new Bond film. However the search for the perfect (affordable) Bond wardrobe is its own little subculture by now, and I wouldn't want to miss that 😅

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."