clean out the user names

Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
I know it's only a name, but scrolling through the user list with so many iconic 'Bond' names taken but never used, or very minimally at at best, why not put a time limit on it (possibly 12 - 18 months) that if that person doesn't bother posting within a specific period, their account/user name will be deleted and the option (user name) could be given to someone who wants to contribute?

No big deal I know, just a suggestion.
"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson

Comments

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    We have many people who come back after a year or two.

Priorities in life change sometimes and some members, we only see returning when a new Bond comes out - so every 2 or 3 years.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    I came back after 7 years!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Well, you'd better not :)) :)) :)) :))
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    Personally I'm amazed mine wasn't taken and I only signed up last year. :D
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I actually joined a few forums ( not to post ) but to make sure that my name was
    secure, as I think of myself as a " Brand" :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I think only Sico can authorise this and he's rarely here.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    Dreadful idea. AJB is not like other forums with a revolving door, here we welcome back old friends. I have been on other forums where people have had to name change a lot, it puts you off as you loose track.

It's not broken, leave it be!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    Just think, another Silhouette Man... :D

I agree that this idea is unworkable in practice.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,414Chief of Staff
    I think only Sico can authorise this and he's rarely here.

Yes...only SiCo can delete accounts...but Mods can change usernames...although it's not something that's frequently done...
    Dreadful idea. AJB is not like other forums with a revolving door, here we welcome back old friends. I have been on other forums where people have had to name change a lot, it puts you off as you loose track.

It's not broken, leave it be!

I wholeheartedly agree {[]

Although I think the OP was wanting obviously abandoned accounts removing...but what is obvious ? :s
    YNWA 97
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Half the fun when I signed up was to think of an unused username that had some kind of Bond/spy connotation... Re-using someone else's old one seems a bit, well, lazy.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    If I'm not mistaken I think this was already done once several years ago. I think SiCo changed servers and when he did so he deleted a bunch of accounts that hadn't been signed into for years. Seems like i remember it gave some people an opportunity to change their username to if they wanted. Does anyone else remember this?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Mr Martini wrote:
    If I'm not mistaken I think this was already done once several years ago. I think SiCo changed servers and when he did so he deleted a bunch of accounts that hadn't been signed into for years. Seems like i remember it gave some people an opportunity to change their username to if they wanted. Does anyone else remember this?

No I don't...I know the server was changed and the possibility of clearing out some (apparently) dead user accounts was mooted...but I think it was decided to leave the accounts as they were as it was too difficult - and time consuming - to decide which ones to remove...that's what I remember anyway :))
    YNWA 97
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    I came back after 7 years!

You mean 007 years!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    Well you have to be creative with usernames.

The possibilities are endless.

Thunderpussy comes to mind :))
    Dalton Rulez™
  • ml94ml94 FinlandPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    How i can change my username?
    "Bond, James Bond"
    ml94 wrote:

Short answer - you can't...only the site owner and Mod's can change usernames...and that doesn't happen very often.
    YNWA 97
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ml94 wrote:

Short answer - you can't...only the site owner and Mod's can change usernames...and that doesn't happen very often.

You have to wear trainers that makes people's eyes bleed for a start....
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    ml94 wrote:

You have to wear trainers that makes people's eyes bleed for a start....

Or promise not to wear them - then you'll get you name changed :v
    YNWA 97
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,644MI6 Agent
    As long as bright green trainers do not become an avatar image I am OK with them. I hate to wear sunglasses a lot, y'see. :D
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).