The title - ideas and rumours

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I think it depends on how it's marketed. Even a simple think like the font can help it work.

A good typeface or logo isn't going to make it sound any more exciting when people are talking about it. That title would speak to us as Bond fans, but it's not going to speak to a worldwide audience in 2020. I think the time to use that as a Bond title has passed. It would have worked in the 1980s. I think it's time to go back to using classic Bond title words like "Live", "Die" or "Kill" in a Bond title.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,765MI6 Agent
    Not only a good font, but the whole package. I just mentioned the typeface as on thing that signals it's a action movie. Thereare more important aspects. Number one is the name James Bond. When most people talk about the next 007 Movie before or during the cinema run, most people don't say SPECTRE or Skyfall. They say 'the New Bond movie'. By that time the title song has been running for a long time. So has promos and trailers. And don't forget James Bond is seen as a ladies' man.
    Number24 wrote:
    Not only a good font, but the whole package. I just mentioned the typeface as on thing that signals it's a action movie. Thereare more important aspects. Number one is the name James Bond. When most people talk about the next 007 Movie before or during the cinema run, most people don't say SPECTRE or Skyfall. They say 'the New Bond movie'. By that time the title song has been running for a long time. So has promos and trailers. And don't forget James Bond is seen as a ladies' man.

I'm a graphic designer. In my profession we can tell the story we want to tell with design. I could make "Kumquats" look like the title of a Bond film, but it's still going to read "Kumquats", and that's what people will focus on. They won't just forget it and call it the next Bond film if they think it's an odd title. A good title catches the attention and sounds like an exciting James Bond film. "Skyfall" did just that. People questioning the title would be a distraction, like it was with "Quantum of Solace". That wasn't the kind of title that made people excited about Bond, and I don't think "Property of a Lady" would either. When you hear a title like "Tomorrow Never Dies", you can move on and just call it "the new Bond film". If it's the wrong name, people will get stuck on that.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Personally, I think in the era of #metoo, Property of a Lady would work rather well...
    "The world is not enough" worked in spite of having kill, die, eye, gold or any other typical bondian or even action words in it. I don't think the word Lady in the title will be a negative for a Bond movie. It would probably not work for Mission Impossible, Bourne or Fast adn Furious. But Bond is a ladies' man, "Bond girl" is a shorthand everyone knows.
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    "The world is not enough" worked in spite of having kill, die, eye, gold or any other typical bondian or even action words in it. I don't think the word Lady in the title will be a negative for a Bond movie. It would probably not work for Mission Impossible, Bourne or Fast adn Furious. But Bond is a ladies' man, "Bond girl" is a shorthand everyone knows.

Chapter 18 from Thunderball: 'How to Eat a Girl' :) Works for me. :p

And the latest millennium upcoming 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' book from David Lagercrantz: 'The Girl Who Lived Twice'. -{

It has to be relative to what the film is about. The chapter titles from the Fleming novels are endless - seriously spoilt for choice.
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • ShatterfangShatterfang Posts: 538MI6 Agent
    For me it leaves a double entendre that Bond is somehow an object of property for this so-called lady.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm reading John Pearson's James Bond's authorized biography...
    Number24, did you ever finish reading Pearson's Bond Biography?
    if so you should share your thoughts with us!
    is it a good read in and of itself?
    does it fit consistently with what Fleming told us? how about Horowitz' new book?
    and you with your historical superpowers, does it fit into the real world events of the time?

here is the most recent thread I can find on Pearson's Bond Biography.
    I'm planning to re-read it myself after Christmas, probably after I finally read Forever and a Day. I've been skimming through Fleming, making notes on all those little biographical clues, intending to compare with what Pearson and Horowitz tell us.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    I always liked The Property Of A Lady as a title. A plot point in almost any story could be adapted to fit that title. If Madeline is killed, it could be something she left behind; it could be something related to the departed M that Dame Judy played or even something from Lucia Sciarra. Very flexible IMO and of course, taken directly from Fleming.
    I don’t think the word lady will ever appear in a bond title, too dull for Bond.
    IMO, the romantic titles will not bode well in the market.
    yall know The Property of a Lady is not a romantic story right? Maria Freudenstein is described as so hideously ugly she has no choice in life except to sell secrets to the Russians.
    Matt S wrote:
    That title would speak to us as Bond fans, but it's not going to speak to a worldwide audience in 2020. I think the time to use that as a Bond title has passed. It would have worked in the 1980s. I think it's time to go back to using classic Bond title words like "Live", "Die" or "Kill" in a Bond title.
    ow, good gawd no, those movies that just made up any old non-sequitur for the title as long as it had the words Kill or Die are precisely the most formulaic generic plotless soulless of all the entries in the series. I think they will try harder if they at very least have a sentence from Fleming to inspire them.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

I'm a graphic designer. In my profession we can tell the story we want to tell with design. I could make "Kumquats" look like the title of a Bond film, but it's still going to read "Kumquats", and that's what people will focus on. They won't just forget it and call it the next Bond film if they think it's an odd title. A good title catches the attention and sounds like an exciting James Bond film. "Skyfall" did just that. People questioning the title would be a distraction, like it was with "Quantum of Solace". That wasn't the kind of title that made people excited about Bond, and I don't think "Property of a Lady" would either. When you hear a title like "Tomorrow Never Dies", you can move on and just call it "the new Bond film". If it's the wrong name, people will get stuck on that.
    I completely agree Matt, any way you put it "Property of a Lady" sounds more like a BBC period drama then a James Bond movie.
    Joshua wrote:
    I think there are many titles from the Ian Fleming books that were not used at that time. Perhaps these could be looked at to see if there is a title suitable for a James Bond film? At least this would mean that a Ian Fleming title would be used.

When I say this I mean there are titles that Ian Fleming suggested for his books but these were not used. They might be suitable for a James Bond film though?
    I would like to know of these titles? I know Live and Let Die was to be called ' The Undertaker's Wind '
    we should make a list of these. I know Lycett mentions quite a few, but the book is on my bedside table in another city.

The Living Daylights was originally published as Berlin Escape. Another working title was Trigger Finger.
    OHMSS could have been titled The Belles of Hell.
    Early drafts of the Thunderball film were titled James Bond of the Secret Service, then Longitude 78 West. I don't know if those were Fleming's titles, or one of his collaborators.
    and Dr No was originally titled Commander Jamaica, before it was rewritten as a James Bond novel.
    yall know The Property of a Lady is not a romantic story right? Maria Freudenstein is described as so hideously ugly she has no choice in life except to sell secrets to the Russians.

That's not the point. It matters what the public thinks of the title, not what Fleming's story with that title is. The market for Bond films goes far beyond the people who have read Fleming's short stories.
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    I think titles like Tomorrow Never Dies and Die Another Day are among the worst, most generic and trite in the series.
    I prefer Licence Revoked over Licence To Kill as well.
    The Property of a Lady could work fine on many levels, romantic, or intriguing. Most audience members won't care either way. They still went to see Quantum of Solace regardless.
    We are living in an era where movie titles are dumbed down. Robin Hood, recently opened after another film with that title came out in the beginning of this decade.There really is very little thought process in today's titles.
    I do fear we will one day get a new Bond film simply called James Bond.
    Film titles really are getting dumbed down. Though I thought Spectre was a one of the worst titles in the series, it's difficult to do worse than that unless the next film is called "James Bond", "James", "Bond" or "007". There is a big trend for that, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bond does that.

There was a lot of confusion over "Quantum of Solace", which is why I think Bond is going to go for more accessible titles.
    Matt S wrote:
    Film titles really are getting dumbed down. Though I thought Spectre was a one of the worst titles in the series, it's difficult to do worse than that unless the next film is called "James Bond", "James", "Bond" or "007". There is a big trend for that, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bond does that.

There was a lot of confusion over "Quantum of Solace", which is why I think Bond is going to go for more accessible titles.

I think the trend of simplistic titles will continue, even for Bond sadly. I don't think we'll ever get titles like: On Her Majesty's Secret Service, For Your Eyes Only, From Russia With Love or You Only Live Twice anymore.

Fleming's titles were from an bygone era. I personally feel titles written in his time were far more creative and catchy, whether for mystery, thriller novels or movies.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    unless the next film is called "James Bond", "James", "Bond" or "007". There is a big trend for that, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bond does that.

It is such a stupid trend, I hate it with all my heart, and if this happens to bond then I will be very angry indeed!
    Matt S wrote:

In the internet age, I don't see how confusing titles matter, I mean people can just look up the words. Also, a bond film is guaranteed to make loads of money, even with obscure titles like that.

I really want "The Garden Of Death", but I would not be surprised if the next film is called "Swansong", what with the return of Madeline.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
    Jarvio wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    unless the next film is called "James Bond", "James", "Bond" or "007". There is a big trend for that, so I wouldn't be surprised if Bond does that.

It is such a stupid trend, I hate it with all my heart, and if this happens to bond then I will be very angry indeed!
    Matt S wrote:

In the internet age, I don't see how confusing titles matter, I mean people can just look up the words. Also, a bond film is guaranteed to make loads of money, even with obscure titles like that.

I really want "The Garden Of Death", but I would not be surprised if the next film is called "Swansong", what with the return of Madeline.

I like The Garden of Death, as well. Swannsong could be interesting being Craig's last outing.

TBH, I could picture a title like that ending the series overall. Considering the increased gaps this past era I wouldn't be surprised if Barbara and Michael were to close up shop after B25 to pursue other interests.

I hope, though that this film re-ignites the franchise the way GoldenEye did, especially after all these years.
    I'm surprised "Swansong" hasn't been suggested before. Speaking of even more obvious tiitles, I wouldn't be surprised if "Blofeld" is the title. I didn't say I wanted it.
    I would like a longer title like "A whisper of Hate" or "The Garden of Death".
    As odd as it may sound I long for a four word title like From Russia With Love or For Your Eyes Only.
    The unofficial Never Say Never Again was the last four word Bond film title.
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm surprised "Swansong" hasn't been suggested before.
    it was! see post 2337 in the Bond25 thread
    Sorry, I ment "haven't been suggested before" :))
    I wasn't planning to take the credit.
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    If Disney ever end up buying the franchise (God forbid) they could go the Star Wars route:

"Spectre Awakens"

"The Last 00"
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm surprised "Swansong" hasn't been suggested before.
    it was! see post 2337 in the Bond25 thread

Yeah I'd definitely heard it before too.

I'm still rooting for The Garden Of Death though.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • John Francis KennedyJohn Francis Kennedy South lanarkshire, ScotlandPosts: 88MI6 Agent
    ‘Too late to die yesterday’ ;-)
    Dryden wrote:
    If Disney ever end up buying the franchise (God forbid) they could go the Star Wars route:

"Spectre Awakens"

"The Last 00"

I think we all had a new hope for "Return of the 00", but it sounds like we're not going to be getting that one.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Always thought The Commander would be a cool title as opposed to James Bond, that is if they go down that road!!
    edited December 2018
    superdaddy wrote:
    Always thought The Commander would be a cool title as opposed to James Bond, that is if they go down that road!!

Yes, that's considerably better.

Speaking of titles referencing the Bond character, I don't think "Mister Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" would fly so well any more.
  • Arbogast 777Arbogast 777 Minneapolis Posts: 595MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Speaking of titles referencing the Bond character, I don't think "Mister Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" would fly so well any more.

(Pierce Brosnan voice)

“Pound me too? I remember when that was an invitation.”
    How early did we get rumours of the right title for the other Craig Bond films?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    1953 for the first one. :007)