James Bond 007 Road Race Slot Car

I'm working to restore the AC Gilbert road race set https://www.dbl07.co/vintage-sears-james-bond-007-road-race-1965-set-by-ac-gilbert/
Has anyone had any luck restoring the track for this slot car set from Goldfinger?
Cheers
vintage-sears-james-bond-007-road-race-1965-set-by-ac-gilbert
Matthew Rings
CEO & Founder
DBL07.co
https://www.DBL07.co/

Comments

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    I've refurbished several of these; which aspect are you asking after?
    From the look of your link the set you're working on appears complete.
  • DBL07.coDBL07.co Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    I've refurbished several of these; which aspect are you asking after?
    From the look of your link the set you're working on appears complete.
    ha, I WISH! Those are stock photos, not mine :(
    I bought 2 sets hoping to get 1 lap around the track but I'm not sure where the fault is. I don't have it in a permanent setup so I can't solder the connections, and I have checked wiring underneath, but the main culprit seems to be the metal track is pushed down and not able to make contact with the cars. So I would love to pull all the track and replace the metal, but I can't think of a good replacement and I can't seem to find a replacement part for just the metal.
    I have seen the slotcar metal tape, but I would like to restore it close to stock if I can.
    What do you suggest?
    Thanks!
    Matthew Rings
    CEO & Founder
    DBL07.co
    DBL07.co wrote:
    I bought 2 sets hoping to get 1 lap around the track but I'm not sure where the fault is. I don't have it in a permanent setup so I can't solder the connections, and I have checked wiring underneath, but the main culprit seems to be the metal track is pushed down and not able to make contact with the cars. So I would love to pull all the track and replace the metal, but I can't think of a good replacement and I can't seem to find a replacement part for just the metal.
    I have seen the slotcar metal tape, but I would like to restore it close to stock if I can.
    What do you suggest?
    Thanks!

Not sure it was the best use of my time but I spend nearly 100 hours refurbishing the set I've retained for display. Sorry to say that my fix was to sand down the track surface until the rails were sufficiently exposed.
    In some spots the crimping method used to secure the rails actually cut through them so I added jumpers on the underside to connect shorted sections.

ACG_road_race_table_LO_RES.jpg
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,645MI6 Agent
    PoorMansJB wrote:

Redeemed and made much better by the look of it! Is the display table a readily available item?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    superado wrote:
    PoorMansJB wrote:

Redeemed and made much better by the look of it! Is the display table a readily available item?

LOL! Hardly. That was another 100 hr project. Only piece of furniture I ever built.

track_table_CLSD_LO_RES.jpg track_table_OPEN_LO_RES.jpg Track_Table.jpg
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,645MI6 Agent
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    superado wrote:
    PoorMansJB wrote:

LOL! Hardly. That was another 100 hr project. Only piece of furniture I ever built.

{[] The lengths we go and things we do to learn for our fandom...I love it!!!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    superado wrote:
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    superado wrote:

I second that! Damn that's cool!!

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • DBL07.coDBL07.co Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    PoorMansJB wrote:

I second that! Damn that's cool!!
    HOLY Crap, that is the most beautiful thing I've seen on the web! Great Job! and the 100hrs, totally worth it! I like being the old guy from Toy Story 2 that restores the toys :))
    DG
    Matthew Rings
    CEO & Founder
    DBL07.co
  • surfglsurfgl Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Sorry for the piggyback post, but I just got one of these sets and on two of the panels (elevated curved ramp and lower pond section), several of the male metal rail tips had broken off. I didn't think soldering a new piece on to the existing rail (if you could find such flimsy tin as a replacement) would work.

Did either of you have this problem, and if so, how did you extend or create a new male tip to create the electrical connection between sections?

I was thinking of buying another set, pray for the best and hope 2 sets could create a good one, but that's an obviously expensive proposition with no guarantee.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    broken-Bond-Track.png
    surfgl wrote:
    Sorry for the piggyback post, but I just got one of these sets and on two of the panels (elevated curved ramp and lower pond section), several of the male metal rail tips had broken off. I didn't think soldering a new piece on to the existing rail (if you could find such flimsy tin as a replacement) would work.

Did either of you have this problem, and if so, how did you extend or create a new male tip to create the electrical connection between sections?
    broken-Bond-Track.png
    Hopefully I can explain this in a way that makes sense ...
    Finding the metal isn't that challenging: Hobby shops/hardware stores usually have a selection of light weight tin/steel for fabricating small parts, etc.
    I cut some narrow strips maybe 1" long (the approximate length needed to reach the "crimp" in the rail. (If you look at the underside of the track, you'll see the rail in held in place in a number of spots by the factory exposing the metal and making a small twist to secure it in the plastic.
    If you dremel away a bit of the plastic around the crimp, you'll expose enough to solder the added section to the existing rail.
    Working quickly this can be done without melting the roadway.
    It's tedious work but it was the only solution I could come-up with which effectively kept everything original (though I did make other modifications which weren't in keeping with the set as manufactured).
    Note I'd only go to this extreme with the panels since, as you mentioned, it's really not practical to buy another in hopes all the pins are present, etc. If nothing else, over time different shades of green were used and you're going to wind-up with a mismatch.
    If there's a problem with the raised turn, I'd just buy another one; those are pretty easy to find on eBay.
    Once you're sure of continuity, you could run a little cyanoacrylate ("super glue") at the bottom of the guide where the pin exits the panel to ensure it remains in place.
  • surfglsurfgl Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Thanks, PoorMansJB! I truly appreciate your time and solution! I usually like to keep things original, but I've wanted one of these for years and just want the damned thing to work!

Would have never thought of Superglue to hold the added piece down...I guess if they'd had THAT in the day, we wouldn't have had to deal with the crimp issue...I thought it funny that the instructions say "if the rail juts up, simply press it back into the roadway with a screwdriver". LOL!

If they hadn't used crimping as their poor engineering solution to keep the rails IN the track, I wouldn't have track popping up problems, and you wouldn't have had to sand the track down! Why didn't they just mold the rails in, and use stronger metal contact points, like Aurora?! Anyway, sorry for the rant, and thank YOU for your help!
  • LooeyLooey AustraliaPosts: 6MI6 Agent
    Hello everyone! I joined ABJ on the strength of this post.
    I've thought about buying a Gilbert Road Race set, but they are all going for stupid prices and I'd be intimidated by having to hack into a vintage toy to get it to work properly!
    I LOVE PoorMansJB's table top set. Probably a stupid question, but if you only have half a track, I take it that means you can't drive around on it?
    I thought about updating the Gilbert Road Race concept for the Craig era, here's my Photoshopped version of what a box might look like.
    If anyone's interested, I can show you pics of the completed layout...
    bond-road-race-FINAL.jpg
  • LooeyLooey AustraliaPosts: 6MI6 Agent

Oops! Looking more closely, I can see it actually is a full set, it's just half is hiding behind the mountain in the photograph! Here's my version, made out of cardboard from Student projects I'd had in my loft for 40 years!

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

Wow, just wow!!

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • IceQIceQ Posts: 298MI6 Agent

Loving all this! You should template the Matera set and sell on Etsy! I’d buy one!

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,104MI6 Agent

Sooo cool😎

"Any of the opposition around..?"