Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    PierreVW wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    PierreVW wrote:

Craig is 5'11''?.

No, he isn't.

What is his height?.

It's usually said he's 5'10", but he's actually more like 5'9".
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,292Chief of Staff
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    PierreVW wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

No, he isn't.

What is his height?.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was 5'8, he's pretty small in person.
  • SomeoneSomeone Posts: 1,543MI6 Agent
    I've seen DC in person and I'm 6ft and DC can't be any taller than 5 ft 9 in.
    Matt S wrote:
    PierreVW wrote:

What is his height?.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was 5'8, he's pretty small in person.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Craig seems to be shrinking in this discussion. I'm just under 5' 9", and he looks taller than me. Perhaps not much, but taller. Height is particularly tough to gauge by sight, and a lot of people don't really know how tall they are. Were they measured wearing shoes? Socks? Was their hair included? How precise was the person taking the measurement, and so forth? Bigger people tend to think everyone is small, even if they're average. My girlfriend is 5'2" but everyone thinks she's taller because of her proportions, and when she wears heels, with her hair and posture, seems almost as tall as me.

Back to the original question, now that Waltz may not be rejoining the franchise, Poldark's Jack Farthing has some similar facial characteristics and has shown he can easily play a creep. If they went with the plastic surgery route, then suggesting Blofeld was also made to look younger could be incorporated.
    Craig's actual height is one of those mysteries like who shot JFK, subject to as many theories. However it can safely be said that he is over 5'6 and under 6', so he's taller than Tom Cruise (no surprise there) and shorter than, say, Harrison Ford. More relevantly, he's the shortest James Bond actor ever.

The question is, does it matter? Careful camera angles, judicious use of a Scully box http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScullyBox
    etc can make the actor's actual height irrelevant onscreen. An example: in "Minority Report" Tom Cruise is paired with Max von Sydow (about 6'4") and the director carefully had von Sydow sitting down, Cruise walking around etc, and their conflict staged on stairs. (Of course, it did help that the director was a certain Mr Spielberg, who does know his stuff). The point being that in a film the actor's exact height doesn't matter too much (unless we're talking about, say, Danny de Vito or Christopher Lee!).

On that subject:
    AA_OLD_MAN.jpg
    Christopher Lee was for many years rated as the tallest leading actor (until superseded by Vince Vaughn) in international movies- it can clearly be seen that he towers above Roger Moore, who was not short! Does it matter in TMWTGG...? IMHO, not much- Lee acted Moore off the screen anyway, and that's no slight on Sir Rog: Sir Chris acted most people off the screen (well, except Peter Cushing, his good friend and frequent co-star- and an actor who I personally would have loved to have seen as a Bond villain, Drax perhaps).

In real life, a secret agent shouldn't stand out in a crowd and a man of more than average height wouldn't be an ideal choice- but we're not talking about real life. James Bond is a (if not THE) male fantasy figure and part of most men's fantasies (the printable ones, anyway) involve being tall and handsome- therefore James Bond is tall and handsome. Average height has increased since Ian Fleming wrote the books, but in his day Bond's height of just over 6' (183cm), which not by coincidence was Fleming's own height, was considered tall. Most of the Bond actors have been at least that, and appear as much onscreen. No-one would ever doubt that Sean Connery was a big man, for example.

I'm currently just over 6' (183cm)*- in my native Scotland I'm considered tall (most Scots are on the short side), but in Germany (where I spend a fair amount of time) I'm no more than average height. Times change- and people are in general getting taller. In films, it's more important that an actor can convince in the part: Humphrey Bogart was short for his time, and he's an icon. So, all in all, Craig's lack of height isn't too relevant.

* people shrink as they age :#
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I think that for Bond height does matter. Bond struggles to blend in, looks vaguely ' non British, according to Fleming which is why overseas work suits him. His height is a part of this oddness. Bond stands out in a room, he doesn't blend in . Barbel makes several excellent point including that the definition of tall has undergone change and is not the same everywhere. Also that people shrink as they age. I was bordering 6ft5 a few years ago and according to my medical now 6ft 3.5. Craig is and always has been too short for Bond, he struggles against leading ladies in heels, and disappears in crowd scenes. He is just not commanding or imposing enough for me. In CR he over compensated like mad in the gym which thankfully he has not done since as it servesd to make him seem shorter. On occasion it can work as with Bautista the difference made Bond seem even more outgunned and dominated which added to the scene.

It's how Bond looks offscreen, during premiere junkets and the like where it shows up most. It damages the illusion somehow. It's to his testament that he has so many other superb qualities that he almost makes me forget it. Barbel could again be right and maybe it's just the inbuilt viewpoint of the tall.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Craig's actual height is one of those mysteries like who shot JFK, subject to as many theories. However it can safely be said that he is over 5'6 and under 6', so he's taller than Tom Cruise (no surprise there) and shorter than, say, Harrison Ford. More relevantly, he's the shortest James Bond actor ever.

The question is, does it matter? Careful camera angles, judicious use of a Scully box http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScullyBox
    etc can make the actor's actual height irrelevant onscreen. An example: in "Minority Report" Tom Cruise is paired with Max von Sydow (about 6'4") and the director carefully had von Sydow sitting down, Cruise walking around etc, and their conflict staged on stairs. (Of course, it did help that the director was a certain Mr Spielberg, who does know his stuff). The point being that in a film the actor's exact height doesn't matter too much (unless we're talking about, say, Danny de Vito or Christopher Lee!).

On that subject:
    AA_OLD_MAN.jpg
    Christopher Lee was for many years rated as the tallest leading actor (until superseded by Vince Vaughn) in international movies- it can clearly be seen that he towers above Roger Moore, who was not short! Does it matter in TMWTGG...? IMHO, not much- Lee acted Moore off the screen anyway, and that's no slight on Sir Rog: Sir Chris acted most people off the screen (well, except Peter Cushing, his good friend and frequent co-star- and an actor who I personally would have loved to have seen as a Bond villain, Drax perhaps).

In real life, a secret agent shouldn't stand out in a crowd and a man of more than average height wouldn't be an ideal choice- but we're not talking about real life. James Bond is a (if not THE) male fantasy figure and part of most men's fantasies (the printable ones, anyway) involve being tall and handsome- therefore James Bond is tall and handsome. Average height has increased since Ian Fleming wrote the books, but in his day Bond's height of just over 6' (183cm), which not by coincidence was Fleming's own height, was considered tall. Most of the Bond actors have been at least that, and appear as much onscreen. No-one would ever doubt that Sean Connery was a big man, for example.

I'm currently just over 6' (183cm)*- in my native Scotland I'm considered tall (most Scots are on the short side), but in Germany (where I spend a fair amount of time) I'm no more than average height. Times change- and people are in general getting taller. In films, it's more important that an actor can convince in the part: Humphrey Bogart was short for his time, and he's an icon. So, all in all, Craig's lack of height isn't too relevant.

How tall were you at your peak all those years ago?
    Craig looks a similar height to Harrison Ford in many photos, but that may be the camera angle. If we are going to concern ourselves with height of Blofeld against bond then are we also concerned that leading ladies must also be picked foe being the right height? I don't think it makes any difference any height difference between villain and hero.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Chriscoop wrote:

A bit over four cubits.
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

On that subject:
    AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

Craig looks a similar height to Harrison Ford in many photos, but that may be the camera angle. If we are going to concern ourselves with height of Blofeld against bond then are we also concerned that leading ladies must also be picked foe being the right height? I don't think it makes any difference any height difference between villain and hero.

I've stood next to Harrison Ford, he attends the Oshkosh air show, and I'd put Ford at no higher than 5 ft 10, he's not particularly tall. I'm 6ft.
    He's mid-70s now, probably lost an inch or two from his peak.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Someone 5'9" was cast to be DC's stand-in in a non-Bond production. Most DoPs try to have their stand-ins the same height as the person they're standing-in for, so based on that DC is likely to be between 5'8 1/2 and 5'9 1/2...so 5'9" is likely very close.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Barbel wrote:

True that - I was 6’4” in my prime...now, at 55, probably shorter. The next time I’m measured, it’ll likely be for the box they plant me in. But I’m still a bit taller than most around me.

Craig works in the role because of his other attributes...but I agree that Bond should be no shorter. That leaves out Tom Hardy, IMHO.

I regret that Waltz won’t be back, if that turns out to be the case - mainly because of the unfulfilled promise of an actor of his calibre in the role :#
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Barbel wrote:

It was many years ago.
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent
    Up until recently I was hoping Christoph Waltz was going to return seeing as Daniel Craig was returning then he said he wasn't returning, I was also thinking Kevin Spacey but then we found out the truth about him so discounted him. I also thought having watched a few scenes for RED 2 how good a Bond Villain would Anthony Hopkins make..............?
    Someone wrote:

It was many years ago.

You may be right!

AA_OLD_MAN_2.jpg
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,273MI6 Agent
    They really are boxed in with Blofeld, cos he has to be the same age roughly as Craig due to the plotline and of course not too tall.

I do think they could have done more with his casting. If you cast Waltz, it's okay but he's not a find, he's Tarantino's find. You may be thinking of other movies when he's on screen.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • fire and icefire and ice EarthPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    Personally I would leave Blofeld alone until post Craig era.
    '...exceptionally fine shot...'
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters

There's certainly a good argument to be made for that; I'll be most curious as to which path they decide to take.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent

There's certainly a good argument to be made for that; I'll be most curious as to which path they decide to take.

I think that Intel on this will be a very clear indicator of the direction of travel. I really really hope that they have seen the error of their ways and beat an elegant retreat.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent
    Anyone on here watches EastEnders, I reckon William Boyde who plays The Evil James Willmott Brown should be in with a good shout to be Blofeld? Or any other Villain as his Character in EastEnders is so evil he would be a good choice for a Bond Villain.

Anyone who saw the EastEnders Episode on Friday would see what I mean.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

True that - I was 6’4” in my prime...now, at 55, probably shorter. The next time I’m measured, it’ll likely be for the box they plant me in. But I’m still a bit taller than most around me.

Craig works in the role because of his other attributes...but I agree that Bond should be no shorter. That leaves out Tom Hardy, IMHO.

I regret that Waltz won’t be back, if that turns out to be the case - mainly because of the unfulfilled promise of an actor of his calibre in the role :#

I never realised that Tom Hardy was so short tbh. I was watching him last night in 'Peaky Blinders' and didn't think he was particularly short but then he was with Cillian Murphy who is also 5'7" ...

I think Jason Isaacs could be a good Blofeld.
  • james362001james362001 Lancaster, California USAPosts: 338MI6 Agent
    I agree. Tom Hardy would make a great Blofeld. He has had a busy year. I like watching him in TABOO limited tv series on FX cable network.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Would love Mark Strong as Blofeld and be in B25! That could be the nod to past Bonds the actor playing Blofeld changes every film :))
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    John Hurt is sadly no longer with us and he would've made a great Blofeld (or a similar Bond mastermind in charge of a multinational corporation or crime syndicate run like a corporation) but his role as an eccentric, reclusive billionaire industrialist from the mid to late 90s film, Contact, is the closest we're ever going to get having Hurt playing a Bond villain...

Contact Movie Clip

Note his unlimited resources, mini-army of mute Oriental henchmen, spying on people, and mobile high tech lair.
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
  • UnderwaterBattle007UnderwaterBattle007 Posts: 284MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    Would love Mark Strong as Blofeld and be in B25! That could be the nod to past Bonds the actor playing Blofeld changes every film :))

Absolutely Mark Strong he is a wonderful actor. He's great as the police negotiator in the film 6 days, very menacing as the head of the Jordanian Secret Service in Body Of Lies. Hope this happens at some stage in the future.
    FRWl, CR, OHMSS, TSWLM, SF, GF, TLD, LTK, TND, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TB, SPECTRE, DN, YOLT, TMWTGG, QOS, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK, NTTD.

"Do you expect me to talk? "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"
    John Hurt is sadly no longer with us and he would've made a great Blofeld (or a similar Bond mastermind in charge of a multinational corporation or crime syndicate run like a corporation) but his role as an eccentric, reclusive billionaire industrialist from the mid to late 90s film, Contact, is the closest we're ever going to get having Hurt playing a Bond villain...

Contact Movie Clip

Note his unlimited resources, mini-army of mute Oriental henchmen, spying on people, and mobile high tech lair.

Totally agree, and I'd add Alan Rickman. As I've said before, that voice was made to say lines such as "You have interfered with my plans for the last time, Mr Bond" rather than "You're late with your homework, Potter".

Gary Oldman, anyone...?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    A few actors I think could play a convincing Blofeld are Mark Strong , Vin Diesel, Laurence Fishburne or David Suchet.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,789MI6 Agent
    I think vin Diesel is wrong for the part. A bald head isn't the main qualification.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) only my opinion of course, but he's a very physical actor ( reminds me of Telly Savalas ) who until OHMSS mainly played
    Blue collar/ working class types.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."