Do any continuation novels improve on Fleming?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I was thinking that I prefer certain scenes in some of the continuation novels than passages of Fleming. I'm thinking in particular of Colonel Sun versus, say, TMWTGG. Is this sacrilege or does anyone else agree?
"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    No. None of them can match Flemings weakest novels.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,418Chief of Staff
    I prefer Colonel Sun to TMWTGG and a few of the short stories but nothing else comes even close.
    YNWA 97
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    Yes, I think Colonel Sun would be the only contender here as it was written in the 1960s shortly after the Fleming novels and stories ended with his untimely death in August 1964. I still wouldn't say it's better than Fleming but it is as equally good and as near to canon as is possible. It still remains the first and best of all the Bond continuation novels though, and I can't see that ever changing in all honesty.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    I would rank 'Colonel Sun' above TMWTGG, and probably above DAF. For me, it's easily on par with most of Fleming's novels. 'Colonel Sun' actually reminds me a bit of the first three Bond novels, which happen to be my favorites.
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    No, none of the continuation novels improve on Fleming.

However, there are a few continuation novels that I enjoyed more than the weakest Fleming novels (TMWTGG, TSWLM) and these are:

Icebreaker
    No Deals, Mr Bond
    Colonel Sun
    Nobody Lives For Ever

and maybe

Trigger Mortis
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent
    Although some do not count James Bond And The Spy Who Loved Me and James Bond And Moonraker as continuation novels, I do, and I consider Christopher Wood's writing to be the closest of any of the other authors, in fact some paragraphs are so damn good they are indistinguishable from Fleming.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Yes, good call there CoolHandBond. I particularly enjoyed James Bond, The Spy Who Loved Me. I forgot about that when I was considering my earlier post and I would add JB, TSWLM to my list.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I agree that Col Sun is the best continuing novel, and that Christopher Wood did a brilliant job with his
    Two novels -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Bondfan68Bondfan68 Columbus, Ga USAPosts: 4MI6 Agent
    Although some do not count James Bond And The Spy Who Loved Me and James Bond And Moonraker as continuation novels, I do, and I consider Christopher Wood's writing to be the closest of any of the other authors, in fact some paragraphs are so damn good they are indistinguishable from Fleming.

I must agree that they should be counted as they are both excellent novels and high up there in the best of the continuation novels.
  • Bondfan68Bondfan68 Columbus, Ga USAPosts: 4MI6 Agent
    I am a huge fan of most of the John Gardner novels and DEVIL MAY CARE though I know many don't like it. SOLO has some strong scenes as does TRIGGER MORTIS. I'm not a fan of CARTE BLANCHE and never really cared for COLEL SUN. Must read that again soon...
    Are they better than Fleming? Not a chance. Do they add something? Sure, each in it's own way.