The Book Collector

00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
Anyone else pick up the Spring 2017 special issue of the Book Collector on Ian Fleming? I received my copy in the mail a couple of days ago. I haven't had a chance to read much of it but it looks like it has some interesting articles. I am not a subscriber (although I am thinking about becoming one). I just purchased the one issue.

http://www.thebookcollector.co.uk/store
"A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming

Comments

• 00-Agent00-Agent CaliforniaPosts: 453MI6 Agent
    Here is the write-up on the issue from their website (and I am not affiliated in anyway with the book collector, just thought it looked interesting):

Ian Fleming Contents
    Preview of the Ian Fleming Special Edition

The Spring number of The Book Collector will be a special issue on the theme “Ian Fleming & Book Collecting”. Fleming was the publisher of The Book Collector from its start and its principal shareholder from 1955 until his death.

Spring 2017 marks the 65th anniversary of the magazine’s launch, and the first anniversary of The Book Collector’s reversion to the Fleming family, after 50 years, in the person of James Fleming, the novelist’s nephew.

Contributors to the issue will include Fergus Fleming, editor of Ian Fleming’s letters, on “Ian Fleming and The Book Collector”, Joel Silver, Director of the Lilly Library, Indiana University, on “Books That Had Started Something: Ian Fleming’s Book Collection”, and Nicolas Barker, for 50 years Editor of The Book Collector, on his former editorial colleague, “Percy Muir: Ian Fleming’s Bookseller”.

Jon Gilbert, compiler of the prize-winning Ian Fleming: The Bibliography, writes on “Collecting Ian Fleming”, and Sheila Markham interviews two Fleming collectors, Michael L. VanBlaricum and Jeremy Miles.

Other contributions consider Ian Fleming’s friend the typographic designer Robert Harling, who also was a novelist, Richard Chopping, designer of most of the James Bond dust-jackets, and the output of Fleming’s publishing imprint, the Queen Anne Press.

The Book Collector is also reviving a competition conceived in 1947 by Ian Fleming and Robert Harling for a 27th letter of the alphabet. Its purpose must be plausible, to represent, for instance, 'nth', 'um', 'er' or one of the many modern variants of ‘yes’. But what should it look like?

All who are subscribers on February 26th 2017 will automatically receive a copy of the regular edition of our Ian Fleming Special. Don't delay: subscribe today!

There will also be a limited edition for collectors set on hot metal and signed by James and Fergus Fleming.
    "A blunt instrument wielded by a Government department. Hard, ruthless, sardonic, fatalistic. He likes gambling, golf, fast motor cars. All his movements are relaxed and economical". Ian Fleming
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,646MI6 Agent
    I've not picked one up yet but I intend to on Thursday this week when I am paid again! It looks a must-have publication for sure. :) -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I did indeed pick it up and it's superb. I've read about half the articles and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. It's a definite must-have for Fleming aficionados!