Last Bond movie you watched.

1568101135

Comments

  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,096MI6 Agent
    The re-watch continued last night with THUNDERBALL.

    I've had issues in the past with this, mainly due to pacing. At times, the film lurches abruptly from one scene to another without much connective tissue (especially in the first act), and at other times it's just TOO MUCH (like in the third act with the 3 hour long underwater battle). I still have those pacing issues, but it flowed better for me last night than it has in the past.

    The plot on this one is overall very strong. It's a clear through-line in terms of 'what the mission is', and I like how Bond kinda stumbles into it in the first act by the sheer luck of being at the health facility when the body switch is going on. When he's given his mission briefing with the other 00 agents and goes 'hey, I know this guy', it's a great moment, and I love how M backs him up. 'If 007 says that he saw this man, then he saw him.' For all of the guff that M gives Bond throughout the series, he has respect for his professionalism and integrity to trust him implicitly when he brings something to the table.

    The villain is strong. I like Largo, and I like that he seems to be a competent villain in terms of planning and execution. I also like the fact that it's a 'hidden face' Blofeld again. Austin Powers kinda ruined the whole boardroom execution scene with a perfect parody, but it still works.
    The women are uniformly good in this without any weak links.

    The one missed opportunity: capitalizing more on the fact that all of the 00 agents were together in one scene. How great is that? How awesome would it have been to have seen them interacting with each other, joking with each other, and so on. 'Hey, good job on that Goldfinger gig.' It'd also be interesting to have seen some of the other personalities at play...is 007 the only suave one? Is he the only funny one? I know that these films rightly focus on 007, but there's a whole world of 00 agents to be explored, and I always liked it when other agents are mentioned...even if it's only in passing...just to remind us that James is only ONE of the 00 agents currently being deployed.

    Another thing: this film really has a fantastic score to it. I love the 'stealthy' music when Bond is walking around the health facility. I also love the recurring battle theme that shows up in various scenes throughout the film (it's almost a secondary Bond theme all of its own).

    Anyways, we enjoyed it. It's gone up in my rankings to actually pass GF. As of now:
    FRWL>DN>TB>GF
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 33,241Chief of Staff
    Gymkata wrote:
    I also love the recurring battle theme that shows up in various scenes throughout the film (it's almost a secondary Bond theme all of its own).

    It is! It's called "007" and John Barry wrote it during FRWL where it's heard during the fight at the gypsy camp and Bond's raid on the Russian embassy. After TB, it's in YOLT (Little Nellie scene), DAF (oil rig), and MR (boat chase).
  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,096MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    It is! It's called "007" and John Barry wrote it during FRWL where it's heard during the fight at the gypsy camp and Bond's raid on the Russian embassy. After TB, it's in YOLT (Little Nellie scene), DAF (oil rig), and MR (boat chase).

    That theme needs to show up again, hopefully in Bond 25
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 33,241Chief of Staff
    Been saying that for years! It was rumoured that it would be used in DAD for the ice chase between Bond and Zao, but it didn't happen. :#
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,043MI6 Agent
    TB and YOLT suffer with a bit of bloat. But I love TB because of how enjoyable the whole setting and people are.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. LTK 17. GF 18. SF 19. LaLD 20. YOLT 21. TND 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

    "Maybe later?"
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    edited January 2018
    Licence To Kill. I was heavily disappointed with it this time around, feeling cold, that this is not James Bond (something I've never felt before while watching this 8-) ), drab locations and cheap value, forgettable bond girls, forgettable soundtrack, no British Secret Service appearances of MI6 and a bad ending. The good points, Dalton's performance, Robert Davi as Sanchez (one of the best villains) and good henchmen. It was also good to see Felix Leiter return to Bond, but this is now my least favourite Bond film of the 80's - yes worse than AVTAK because at least that was a bond movie.

    Comparisons between AVTAK and LTK

    * Timothy Dalton does a WAY better performance in LTK than Roger Moore does in AVTAK.
    * Carey Lowell is a better actor than Tanya Roberts, but Roberts is hotter in the beauty contest
    * AVTAK has better action scenes - no I'm not kidding when I really think about it
    * Sanchez and Zorin are awesome villains and two of my favourites in the series, but I think Zorin is more memorable in positive ways
    * AVTAK has better locations AND score
    * Both have stupid moments in them that don't make sense, LTK wins on this front having less of these scenes
    * AVTAK has a better finale on the Golden Gate Bridge (possibly Moore's best final) whereas LTK goes on a bit too long
    * Grace Jones is more memorable than Talisa Soto
    * Much to the annoyance of many, I liked AVTAK's plot more than LTK. A revenge story is awesome, but like QOS and DAF, it didn't work too well because it left me feeling cold and MI6 hardly appear in LTK
    * AVTAK is a bond movie. LTK feels too dark and lacks charm and emotional depth of a bond movie
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TSWLM 6. SF 7. TLD 8. SP 9. GF 10. MR 11. AVTAK 12. DN 13. GE 14. CR 15. LALD 16. TB 17. YOLT 18. TND 19. OP 20. TWINE 21. TMWTGG 22. QOS 23. DAF 24. DAD 25. NSNA 26. CR '67

    1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • RemingtonRemington CAPosts: 239MI6 Agent
    Wadsy wrote:
    Licence To Kill. I was heavily disappointed with it this time around, feeling cold, that this is not James Bond (something I've never felt before while watching this 8-) ), drab locations and cheap value, forgettable bond girls, forgettable soundtrack, no British Secret Service appearances of MI6 and a bad ending. The good points, Dalton's performance, Robert Davi as Sanchez (one of the best villains) and good henchmen. It was also good to see Felix Leiter return to Bond, but this is now my least favourite Bond film of the 80's - yes worse than AVTAK because at least that was a bond movie.

    Comparisons between AVTAK and LTK

    * Timothy Dalton does a WAY better performance in LTK than Roger Moore does in AVTAK.
    * Carey Lowell is a better actor than Tanya Roberts, but Roberts is hotter in the beauty contest
    * AVTAK has better action scenes - no I'm not kidding when I really think about it
    * Sanchez and Zorin are awesome villains and two of my favourites in the series, but I think Zorin is more memorable in positive ways
    * AVTAK has better locations AND score
    * Both have stupid moments in them that don't make sense, LTK wins on this front having less of these scenes
    * AVTAK has a better finale on the Golden Gate Bridge (possibly Moore's best final) whereas LTK goes on a bit too long
    * Grace Jones is more memorable than Talisa Soto
    * Much to the annoyance of many, I liked AVTAK's plot more than LTK. A revenge story is awesome, but like QOS and DAF, it didn't work too well because it left me feeling cold and MI6 hardly appear in LTK
    * AVTAK is a bond movie. LTK feels too dark and lacks charm and emotional depth of a bond movie

    This is a sad day.
    -{
    1. Connery 2. Moore 3. Dalton 4. Brosnan 5. Craig 6. Lazenby
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,390MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    It's called "007" and John Barry wrote it during FRWL where it's heard during the fight at the gypsy camp and Bond's raid on the Russian embassy. After TB, it's in YOLT (Little Nellie scene), DAF (oil rig), and MR (boat chase).
    Gymkata wrote:
    That theme needs to show up again, hopefully in Bond 25
    I wanna hear the "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" music again, that toon is just so swank and elegant ... it really adds to that my-job-is-a-permanent-dream-vacation vibe they had going in Thunderball ... maybe CraigBond would chill out a little more if that music was playing while he picked up chicks in the casino
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,390MI6 Agent
    Wadsy wrote:
    Licence To Kill. I was heavily disappointed with it this time around, feeling cold, that this is not James Bond (something I've never felt before while watching this).
    this makes me sad too, Wadsy, I 've always admired your advocacy for the 80s-era films, and I hope we haven't made you lose faith in something you once loved thanks to all our overanalysing.

    For comparison, I now see all sorts of issues in the Spy Who Loved Me that went over my head when I was 11 years old. But I would never want the 11 year old inside of me to lose the value that one film has always held for me. It still plays perfectly for me every time I watch it, despite my middle-aged cynicism.
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    edited January 2018
    Oh man... Don't want to upset anyone here in the community. I don't know, my opinion changes all the time guys and I mean too much. As for the 80's, it is still currently my favourite decade for Bond - because of For Your Eyes Only (opinion has NEVER changed - always been the best one in my eyes), Octopussy which is slowly going up in my rankings (used to be my least favourite 80's Bond), A View To A Kill has gone slightly down (only because Roger Moore's charm and sophistication isn't as good as most of his predecessors and the mangy stunt doubles), The Living Daylights remains stagnant at a solid second best of the 80's and Licence To Kill did go up but has gone down again.

    Don't get me wrong, I really like Licence To Kill but for some reason because Timothy Dalton is my favourite Bond actor, I always go into it expecting it to be awesome but it just isn't. The cold war thriller entries seem to be the superior ones, despite having inferior villains. I just don't enjoy the Bond movies where Bond is practically on his own throughout as much and we don't have much from MI6. I always felt like Bond gets more support in FYEO, OP and TLD and it just sparks good emotions for me in it's likability factors. Then we have the Bond actor's performance, villain, locations, plot factor and soundtrack.

    So right now, after having completed a full 80's run again - my best to worst rankings sits as follows:

    For Your Eyes Only
    The Living Daylights
    Octopussy
    Licence To Kill
    A View To A Kill
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TSWLM 6. SF 7. TLD 8. SP 9. GF 10. MR 11. AVTAK 12. DN 13. GE 14. CR 15. LALD 16. TB 17. YOLT 18. TND 19. OP 20. TWINE 21. TMWTGG 22. QOS 23. DAF 24. DAD 25. NSNA 26. CR '67

    1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,096MI6 Agent
    edited January 2018
    We continued our Bond rewatch with YOLT on Saturday night and OHMSS last night.

    YOLT:

    In terms of pure spectacle, this is pretty much 'the one'. The volcano lair will never be topped in terms of overall scale of production (although the carrier set from TSWLM comes the closest) and the epic battle at the end holds up beautifully in terms of being well staged and well paced. It could have gone off of the rails like the big underwater battle in TB, but thankfully some restraint is applied.

    I have a tremendous love of Asia, so I have great affection for the Japanese setting of this film. Thankfully, Japan is also given its own version of MI6, and Tiger makes for a great ally for Bond. The Bond girls, especially Aki, are excellent as well. I also love how Bond has to adapt to the Japanese style of handling things vs having everyone else adapt to his (the British) style...he's not some sort of White saviour here showing Japan 'how it's done.'

    The plot itself is also strong. The idea of SPECTRE capturing space capsules is executed well considering the special effects capabilities of the time, and the idea of doing such a thing to provoke the US and Russia to go to war provides sufficient stakes for the film to feel like it matters.

    The score is fantastic and the title song is one of my personal favorites. The way that the main melody of the title song is incorporated into the film is masterful.

    If there's a weak link in the film, it's unfortunately Sean Connery. His boredom really shines through during several sequences of the film, especially during the whole 'Little Nellie' sequence. There are several other places in the film (the interrogation scene, for instance) where he kinda phones it in. It's a shame that the behind the scenes drama with Connery had to have an effect on the film.

    OHMSS:

    This has been my favorite for years, and last night's viewing only reinforced my opinion that this is the best of the lot. Last night, it finally dawned on me as to why this is my favorite: Bond has an actual character arc.

    In most films, James Bond really doesn't change. He's the same character at the beginning of the film as he is at the end of the film. Considering the nature of the franchise and the desire to keep making a consistent product for the masses to consume, I can see the desire to not really tamper too much with the character of Bond himself. Here, that's out the window. You have Bond change and grow over the course of the movie, coming to realize that there are things that are more important that the secret service.

    Because Bond has an arc, many of the action scenes further that arc. I'll cite the first skiing sequence (where Bond first escapes from Blofeld's lair) through the ice track race. Bond skis and escapes (barely) and is on the run through the village for quite some time. When he's at the ice rink, he's exhausted and almost looks like he's giving up. He hunkers down in the stolen jacket with a genuine look of fear on his face. When Tracy skates up, it's a complete blessing for him and he let's HER rescue HIM. It's a big character leap for Bond as he let's her run the show for the ensuing action scenes. By the time that they're hiding from the snow storm in the stable, you completely buy that he's in love with her. It's fantastic character work by everyone involved, including Lazenby (who I'll touch on in a moment).

    Aside from the actual character arc, this film also has some extraordinary fight sequences and action scenes. The skiing has never really been topped (although DOWNHILL RACER comes close) and everything is edited with a sense of oomph to it to give everything the necessary push over the top in terms of energy. The film also has some great tension to it, as epitomized by the safe cracking scene.

    Also of note: the humor in this film largely works (except for when Lazenby is being forced to emulate Connery...again, more on that in a moment). Having Bond steal the Playboy centerfold is awesome...it's a total Bond move. All of the flirtatious dialog with the women at Blofeld's fortress also works, especially with Bond using the same pickup lines to the different women. Just some fun stuff.

    As to Lazenby himself, I think he's just fine when he's allowed to be GEORGE instead of being forced to be SEAN. Some of the quipping that Sean was able to pull off with ease comes out as being forced when George is forced to deliver it, for instance. He also lacks some of the polish and intensity that Sean had and is more like Roger in terms of having that 'easy glide' to his demeanor; when the film utilizes that easy glide, George is great. Also, George has a raw physicality to him that makes the action scenes, especially the fight scenes, especially believable (and we would not really get that again until the Craig run). Also, and I have to say this while loving Sean, I think that George did the best possible job out of the emotional sequences in the film. His stable scene (where he professes his love for Tracy) and the ending scene are spectacular, and I don't think that Sean would have nailed them in a similar fashion.

    As to the rest of the film: Diana Rigg is glorious. She's the best Bond woman, period. The film also has my favorite overall John Barry score with a cracking theme tune that's almost as good as the actual James Bond theme.

    Love this movie.

    edited to add: OHMSS has my favorite Bond car of the series as well: the Aston Martin DBS. Just a gorgeous car. Rigg's Cougar is sharp as well.

    Current rewatch rankings:
    OHMSS>FRWL>YOLT>DN>TB>GF
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,043MI6 Agent
    ^ good write up and agree with your Connery observations. I've always maintained that Japan is the best location in the entire series, I struggle to enjoy the 2nd half of YOLT and find the movie a bit boring to be honest.

    I like your rankings, great variation and awesome to see MR and QoS so high up.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. LTK 17. GF 18. SF 19. LaLD 20. YOLT 21. TND 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

    "Maybe later?"
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,615MI6 Agent
    I watched FRWL over the weekend, fulfilling a desire I had to enjoy this movie, which believe it or not I’ve harbored for around 2 months. Normally, weekend evenings are spent catching up on whichever movies were theatrically released in the preceding months, but I got to enjoy watching FRWL after everyone else was asleep. I started with the John Cork documentary, “Inside FRWL” I think it was called and it was a good thing because I fell asleep midway of that and I got my second wind in time for the main feature!

    FRWL was the very first Bond movie I watched, which was via an ABC TV broadcast in 1973 or 74 when I was around 6 or 7. From my teens, esp. after I began reading the books, it remained in my top 3 favorites along with OHMSS and YOLT. Surely you folks can relate that as a Bond nut, I’ve watched FRWL countless of times, but now as a middle-aged man I’ve realized that I can enjoy each new viewing like sampling a vintage wine (not that I’m a connoisseur).

    This kind of viewing requires intentionality on my part, which meant that with much discipline I kept my cell phone and reading glasses untouched at arm’s length, lol. It sometimes literally felt that I was watching certain scenes for the first time, taking in the lush colors and interesting visuals in the sets used like the exteriors of Rosa Klebb’s office, the long shots of Istanbul and the evocative nighttime of clouds and moon during the Orient Express sequences.

    Armed with the various behind-the-scenes tid-bits one picks up from various Bond books, one gets to appreciate the whats and whys that went into the production, like how Peter Hunt’s editing not only afforded us the best action scenes of the series, but how it greatly improved the pacing and sequencing of the film’s segments.

    Also noteworthy is the absence of certain Bond “dream team” members that were assembled in DN, like Maurice Binder, Ken Adams, Bob Simmons in the capacity of stunt coordinator (though he supposedly did some stunts), which in turn allowed others to rise up to the challenge and contribute their own unique stamp on Bond history, such as Robert Brownjohn’s projected titles, accented with the FRWL theme with what sounds like a Wurlitzer organ!

    Since YOLT was featured on the current issue of Cinema Retro magazine, that’s next on my list!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    ^ I struggle to enjoy the 2nd half of YOLT and find the movie a bit boring to be honest.

    I would actually have to agree with that. A few people still suggest that the second half is superior given the volcano, but even then I can’t see it.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TSWLM 6. SF 7. TLD 8. SP 9. GF 10. MR 11. AVTAK 12. DN 13. GE 14. CR 15. LALD 16. TB 17. YOLT 18. TND 19. OP 20. TWINE 21. TMWTGG 22. QOS 23. DAF 24. DAD 25. NSNA 26. CR '67

    1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,096MI6 Agent
    DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER:

    I've never cared for this entry for the simple fact that the camp tone simply does not fit with Connery's Bond at all. Add in the fact that Connery is in pure 'paycheck' mode and none of the campiness works. The film would have worked better as a Roger Moore vehicle, especially in his later movies when his version of Bond was solidified, but even then it would have been a lesser entry.

    The plot itself is OK enough. I like that it's essentially a heist film in terms of stealing diamonds and following them throughout the movie towards their eventual destination. True to form for a heist film, it utilizes Las Vegas to good effect as a setting. I know that some people claim that Vegas isn't exotic enough, but I don't agree...Vegas is almost an entire world unto itself in America, and there are things that you can do there that you really can't do anywhere else in the country.

    What the film really lacks is a strong villain. This version of Blofeld lacks any sort of menace at all. Gone is the efficiently competent and intelligent Telly Savalas Blofeld of the prior film. Instead, we have an arrogant, dismissive, campy Blofeld who has all of the menace of a soggy Chinese dinner. There's nothing there, so you don't feel any sort of 'stakes' to the film at all. The henchmen, Wint and Kidd, are purely played for laughs and again project zero menace (to say nothing of the fact that their homosexuality is played for laughs in a cringeworthy way).

    Jill St. John is gorgeous to admire but makes for a pretty weak Bond girl. Her character is inconsistent in her loyalties and motivations so you never really buy into what her actions are at any given moment. Lana Wood is also gorgeous to admire in a relatively thankless role that adds nothing other than a desire to pause and see if you can see boobs during her big scenes. Bambi and Thumper provide a fun little diversion but that's about it.

    What really sinks the film is Sean, though. His obvious lack of desire to be there is palpable. The old Bond comes through in a couple of scenes (the elevator fight, for example), but he phones it in for the most part. It doesn't help that he looks to have aged about 15 years since YOLT, and his haggard appearance doesn't really go with him being a man of action. My wife was really shocked to hear learn that it was only 4 years in real time between YOLT and DAF considering how much Sean had physically aged.

    The film isn't without some positive things, however. I always enjoyed the sequence where Bond scales the Whyte House, for instance. That feels like a very 'secret agent' type sequence, and it's pulled off in a pretty believable way. The car chase is acceptable as well (and it's especially welcome after the utterly horrible moon buggy chase). Also, as stated earlier, Jill St. John is very easy on the eyes.

    I also like the theme song. Then again, it's Shirley Bassey. She's a pro and could make even a lousy song sound amazing. The John Barry score is also good (if unremarkable).

    Overall, this is a complete whiff of a film however. I'm rather shocked to see that it was apparently a fairly big hit (probably because of Connery's return) because, looking at it objectively, I could see a film of this quality ending the franchise under normal circumstances.

    Current rewatch rankings:
    OHMSS>FRWL>YOLT>DN>TB>GF>DAF
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,043MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    I watched FRWL over the weekend, fulfilling a desire I had to enjoy this movie, which believe it or not I’ve harbored for around 2 months. Normally, weekend evenings are spent catching up on whichever movies were theatrically released in the preceding months, but I got to enjoy watching FRWL after everyone else was asleep. I started with the John Cork documentary, “Inside FRWL” I think it was called and it was a good thing because I fell asleep midway of that and I got my second wind in time for the main feature!

    FRWL was the very first Bond movie I watched, which was via an ABC TV broadcast in 1973 or 74 when I was around 6 or 7. From my teens, esp. after I began reading the books, it remained in my top 3 favorites along with OHMSS and YOLT. Surely you folks can relate that as a Bond nut, I’ve watched FRWL countless of times, but now as a middle-aged man I’ve realized that I can enjoy each new viewing like sampling a vintage wine (not that I’m a connoisseur).

    This kind of viewing requires intentionality on my part, which meant that with much discipline I kept my cell phone and reading glasses untouched at arm’s length, lol. It sometimes literally felt that I was watching certain scenes for the first time, taking in the lush colors and interesting visuals in the sets used like the exteriors of Rosa Klebb’s office, the long shots of Istanbul and the evocative nighttime of clouds and moon during the Orient Express sequences.

    Armed with the various behind-the-scenes tid-bits one picks up from various Bond books, one gets to appreciate the whats and whys that went into the production, like how Peter Hunt’s editing not only afforded us the best action scenes of the series, but how it greatly improved the pacing and sequencing of the film’s segments.

    Also noteworthy is the absence of certain Bond “dream team” members that were assembled in DN, like Maurice Binder, Ken Adams, Bob Simmons in the capacity of stunt coordinator (though he supposedly did some stunts), which in turn allowed others to rise up to the challenge and contribute their own unique stamp on Bond history, such as Robert Brownjohn’s projected titles, accented with the FRWL theme with what sounds like a Wurlitzer organ!

    Since YOLT was featured on the current issue of Cinema Retro magazine, that’s next on my list!

    Enjoyed reading this - knowing about the background makes the viewings more interesting. I'm currently doing a Seinfeld marathon with my finance and retelling some of the behind the scenes stuff to her (whether or not she finds it interesting).

    I also do the same extended build up before re-watching to ensure best mood!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. LTK 17. GF 18. SF 19. LaLD 20. YOLT 21. TND 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

    "Maybe later?"
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    I just saw The World Is Not Enough.

    What can I say? It's a decent-good bond movie with quite a number of flaws, mainly to do with pacing, the plot not being overly exciting and some things that don't make too much sense. I didn't find Denise Richards as bad as people make her out to be, but she's not good either. The performances from Pierce Brosnan and supporting cast are great, R.I.P Desmond. I enjoyed the film to want to re-watch it again, it's just good. The locations are rather average and the ski sequence felt like it was slammed in for the sole purpose of seeing Bond on skis again, something we hadn't seen since A View To A Kill, 14 years prior. I definitely enjoy this film more than Tomorrow Never Dies, so my opinion after these years hasn't really changed. I would still rank it in the lower half, as many Connery and Moore films along with both Dalton films and Goldeneye are better than this in my opinion. I would also rank every Daniel Craig movie higher, with the exception of Quantum Of Solace, obviously. Decent Bond flick, but definitely near the bottom of my rankings - but still a decent film. 6/10.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TSWLM 6. SF 7. TLD 8. SP 9. GF 10. MR 11. AVTAK 12. DN 13. GE 14. CR 15. LALD 16. TB 17. YOLT 18. TND 19. OP 20. TWINE 21. TMWTGG 22. QOS 23. DAF 24. DAD 25. NSNA 26. CR '67

    1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,043MI6 Agent
    Wadsy wrote:
    mainly to do with pacing

    Do tell?
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. LTK 17. GF 18. SF 19. LaLD 20. YOLT 21. TND 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

    "Maybe later?"
  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,096MI6 Agent
    The Bond re-watch continues. We did LIVE AND LET DIE last night.

    I've always had problems with this one, mainly due to the fact that the only reason why the plot goes where it does is because Bond makes a lot of stupid decisions. I like my Bond to be competent in his job so that you could believe that he could save the world. What does he do?
    - He goes into Harlem without doing any sort of planning. He doesn't adjust his attitude or change his clothing...he just goes, and it's utterly ridiculous that he could be expected to be successful in his endeavor. At least he's dressed sharply (probably one of Moore's best suits, to be honest).
    - Apparently his whole point of flying into Kananga's complex on the island is to bed Solitaire. Really? You're going to go to all of that risk just to find and bed her? I mean, she IS gorgeous, but that's apparently the plan. Granted, he does do a recon the next day and figures out what Kananga is up to, but would you really risk detection by infiltrating Kananga's house and tipping off security?
    - He also gets captured way too easily. When he's in the room where Kananga quizes Bond on whether or not he touched Solitaire, Bond is way too casual and allows himself to be locked into his chair too easily.

    There are other nitpicks to be had, but essentially this film's Bond is not the pro that we expect. Bond is allowed to make mistakes but he's not allowed to be inept and get by on pure luck.

    The humor works for the most part although the JW Pepper stuff goes too far.
    Most of the action sequences work, but the boat chase is a standout. It goes on a tad too long but the stunts that are in there still thrill to this day.
    Kananga's death is not good. Never has been. It's ridiculous and kinda sends the viewer out on a bad note. At least, it does to me.

    I put it on the lower end of my rankings even though there's a lot there to enjoy. I'm glad that they figured out how to better use Moore in the following films.

    Current rewatch rankings:
    OHMSS>FRWL>YOLT>DN>TB>GF>LALD>DAF
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    Current rewatch rankings:
    OHMSS>FRWL>YOLT>DN>TB>GF>LALD>DAF
    I was out there walking my rat and I seem to have lost my way on this forum.

    Hello, from me and isn't that an...interesting ranking, as it stands now. How did YOLT get on top of GF while your lower ranking clearly has it a lot lower.
    Do you change your mind so often so as to have such a staggering difference in rankings or is it in accord to your current mood and changing tastes after rewatching them recently?
    a reasonable rate of return
  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,096MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    Current rewatch rankings:
    OHMSS>FRWL>YOLT>DN>TB>GF>LALD>DAF
    I was out there walking my rat and I seem to have lost my way on this forum.

    Hello, from me and isn't that an...interesting ranking, as it stands now. How did YOLT get on top of GF while your lower ranking clearly has it a lot lower.
    Do you change your mind so often so as to have such a staggering difference in rankings or is it in accord to your current mood and changing tastes after rewatching them recently?

    Hey there.
    The ranking my sig was my opinion prior to doing the rewatch of the series that I'm currently undertaking with my wife. To your point, I'll delete my sig and update it with the final ranking that I have once I'm done with the series.
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    Gymkata wrote:
    Current rewatch rankings:
    OHMSS>FRWL>YOLT>DN>TB>GF>LALD>DAF
    I was out there walking my rat and I seem to have lost my way on this forum.

    Hello, from me and isn't that an...interesting ranking, as it stands now. How did YOLT get on top of GF while your lower ranking clearly has it a lot lower.
    Do you change your mind so often so as to have such a staggering difference in rankings or is it in accord to your current mood and changing tastes after rewatching them recently?

    Hey there.
    The ranking my sig was my opinion prior to doing the rewatch of the series that I'm currently undertaking with my wife. To your point, I'll delete my sig and update it with the final ranking that I have once I'm done with the series.
    {[]
    Good luck!
    a reasonable rate of return
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,043MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    We did LIVE AND LET DIE last night.

    I've always had problems with this one, mainly due to the fact that the only reason why the plot goes where it does is because Bond makes a lot of stupid decisions. I like my Bond to be competent in his job so that you could believe that he could save the world. What does he do?
    - He goes into Harlem without doing any sort of planning. He doesn't adjust his attitude or change his clothing...he just goes, and it's utterly ridiculous that he could be expected to be successful in his endeavor. At least he's dressed sharply (probably one of Moore's best suits, to be honest).
    - Apparently his whole point of flying into Kananga's complex on the island is to bed Solitaire. Really? You're going to go to all of that risk just to find and bed her? I mean, she IS gorgeous, but that's apparently the plan. Granted, he does do a recon the next day and figures out what Kananga is up to, but would you really risk detection by infiltrating Kananga's house and tipping off security?
    - He also gets captured way too easily. When he's in the room where Kananga quizes Bond on whether or not he touched Solitaire, Bond is way too casual and allows himself to be locked into his chair too easily.

    There are other nitpicks to be had, but essentially this film's Bond is not the pro that we expect. Bond is allowed to make mistakes but he's not allowed to be inept and get by on pure luck.

    The humor works for the most part although the JW Pepper stuff goes too far.
    Most of the action sequences work, but the boat chase is a standout. It goes on a tad too long but the stunts that are in there still thrill to this day.
    Kananga's death is not good. Never has been. It's ridiculous and kinda sends the viewer out on a bad note. At least, it does to me.

    LALD manages to maintain enough level of oddity to keep the film intriguing. Plus Moore plays the Tom Mankiewicz-Bond perfectly - he's very funny and keeps that sail-on-through attitude going.

    But I agree with you that the film has issues and isn't very Bondian in approach or style. Hence, my lower ranking too.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. LTK 17. GF 18. SF 19. LaLD 20. YOLT 21. TND 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

    "Maybe later?"
  • Unloved SeasonUnloved Season Denton, TexasPosts: 48MI6 Agent
    I watched Casino Royale with Rifftrax

    "Please be so kind as to enter the password of your choice. 6 letters or more."
    "How many letters is Lick Me Frenchie?"
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Goldfinger on UK TV yesterday. Still very much a game of two halves. First half is superb, iconic, stylish and everything people say about it. Second act very weak. Once Bond gets to the Ranch it sags and drags. Ending is poor. Shame as it starts so well. Love Connery's clothes, but the rug is a distraction.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,566MI6 Agent
    I watched TLD, and it's still a top Bond film for me. A recent discussion here showed that some people did not understand the plot, the motivations behind the villains or the balance of power between the villains. Some things I didn't care about before now I noticed because people on this forum mentioned they didn't notice. After watching it yet another time, I noticed that EVERYTHING is explained. Because so much is going on in this film, the explanations are necessary. Still, those explanations can also go over people's heads if they're not paying close attention because there is just so much plot to take in. We're let into some details of Koskov and Whitaker's plan before Bond knows, but then we still learn more as Bond uncovers more.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,096MI6 Agent
    Big fan of TLD here as well. I don't care for the finale with General Whitaker very much (it comes off as fairly childish), but everything else is really solid and very entertaining. Dalton's debut film is almost a home run.
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 408MI6 Agent
    TLD is my second favourite Bond film, behind FYEO. Feels like James Bond as written in the books, serious movie with a more harder tone in the cold war setting, the last of it's kind in a bond film. Timothy Dalton is in my opinion the best James Bond there ever was, but I'm sure that he would fail on suaveness and an entertainment factor, heck even my wife wasn't too fond of him preferring Sean Connery, Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan. Just shows she prefers a light heart touch with the films, which while I like, I prefer the gritty serious films.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TSWLM 6. SF 7. TLD 8. SP 9. GF 10. MR 11. AVTAK 12. DN 13. GE 14. CR 15. LALD 16. TB 17. YOLT 18. TND 19. OP 20. TWINE 21. TMWTGG 22. QOS 23. DAF 24. DAD 25. NSNA 26. CR '67

    1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    Big fan of TLD here as well. I don't care for the finale with General Whitaker very much (it comes off as fairly childish), but everything else is really solid and very entertaining. Dalton's debut film is almost a home run.
    Same gripe as you.
    Even Necros had a more impressive death, even if he got the boot was dubbed.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,566MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    Big fan of TLD here as well. I don't care for the finale with General Whitaker very much (it comes off as fairly childish), but everything else is really solid and very entertaining. Dalton's debut film is almost a home run.
    Same gripe as you.
    Even Necros had a more impressive death, even if he got the boot was dubbed.

    Whitaker has one of the worst villain deaths, but Necros has one of the best. I also love how we don't see Koskov's fate is not in the hands of Bond, but we know that Pushkin has something good in store for him.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
Sign In or Register to comment.