Poll: Who should direct Bond25?

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Hope your not knocking the invisible car :D
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,497Chief of Staff
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Hope your not knocking the invisible car :D

If I could see it, maybe I would :o :))
    YNWA 97
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    ...running against windmills of obsession concerning Craig and this era is rather tedious.

Yes, I can see where it might be :D

"Windmills of Obsession: My Tedious Experiences in the Craig Era."
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    ...running against windmills of obsession concerning Craig and this era is rather tedious.

At least we have a high level of insulting here on AJB :))
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Chriscoop wrote:

No insult intended - I'm just interested in long-suffering detractors' perspectives. If there had been social media when OP and AVTAK came out, I'd have been venting my spleen in a similar fashion, I suppose.
  • OakvaleOakvale Pennsylvania Posts: 155MI6 Agent
    I find it funny how tides have turned from when people were begging Mendes to come back for Spectre, and were excited when he did. Obviously he is culpable to some extent for how it turned out.
    Chriscoop wrote:

No insult intended

I know that Loeffs -{
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    If there had been social media when OP and AVTAK came out, I'd have been venting my spleen in a similar fashion, I suppose.
    "Glen..again?"
    "Conti for Bond 13."
    ""The 13th? No...the 14th.""
    "Mixed feeling about this. I was never a fan of Moore. Connery for life!"
    ...and so on and so forth.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I wouldn't call Campbell a "steady hand". He made two very good Bond movies, but outside of Bond he has made everything from entertaining successes ("The Mask of Zorro") to absolute stinkers ("The Green Lantern"). That's not steady, that's staggering all over the place.

But as Ronin1974 correctly points out - in terms of Bond he has the right stuff.

It's difficult to pick directors that haven't had a turkey or two in their career. Even Vileneuve who is being largely touted on here was responsible for 'Arrival'.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,758MI6 Agent
    edited August 2017
    Dryden wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    I wouldn't call Campbell a "steady hand". He made two very good Bond movies, but outside of Bond he has made everything from entertaining successes ("The Mask of Zorro") to absolute stinkers ("The Green Lantern"). That's not steady, that's staggering all over the place.

But as Ronin1974 correctly points out - in terms of Bond he has the right stuff.

It's difficult to pick directors that haven't had a turkey or two in their career. Even Vileneuve who is being largely touted on here was responsible for 'Arrival'.

And "Arrival" was a brilliant and very original take on the alien contact movie. A success among the critics. If you know Metacritic, they calculate an average of the reviews of the most influential film critics. "Arrival" got 82, a very high score. Villenueve has only made very good movies.
    What fans of Campbell gamble on is that it's not just luck that both his Bond movies were among his best movies, perhaps his best. I fear it's mainly luck.
    If there had been social media when OP and AVTAK came out, I'd have been venting my spleen in a similar fashion, I suppose.
    "Glen..again?"
    "Conti for Bond 13."
    ""The 13th? No...the 14th.""
    "Mixed feeling about this. I was never a fan of Moore. Connery for life!"
    ...and so on and so forth.

:)) {[]
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Before social media fans like myself were sending in
    Letters to 007 magazine, as members of The James Bond
    British Fan Club -{ ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Oakvale wrote:
    I find it funny how tides have turned from when people were begging Mendes to come back for Spectre, and were excited when he did. Obviously he is culpable to some extent for how it turned out.

I honestly didn't want him back after his comments about giving it all for Skyfall and nothing left to give..

Though in saying that I immensely enjoyed SPECTRE up to Blofelds lair where the quality dipped
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    I remember up to 2006 me and my army-brothers going to the cinema bar after the film discussing it with total strangers. Sometimes for hours... Nobody had a phone he/she was staring at constantly.

People actually talked....in person.

In 2008 everyone was SO DEPRESSED after QOS that the bar was half empty. We just sat there after the first viewing discussing what on earth went wrong.
    We soon agreed it's all Marc Forster's fault which was especially frustrating as he is Swiss.

The one way street EON has moved itself into with this era calls for Sam Mendes again, shall he end this mess of an era.
    Dalton Rulez™
  • BondClothingBondClothing Posts: 351MI6 Agent
    Being critical of the current era doesn't mean I am one of those fanatics.
    On the other hand running against windmills of obsession concerning Craig and this era is rather tedious. Even on AJB :))

So goodbye and enjoy the bliss of waiting 820 days for Bond 25 -{ :)
    Me thinks, you're bridging into troll territory.
    Lifestyle guide to the products and locations featured in the James Bond films.
    I'm all for a fresh viewpoint from the director's chair - additionally, though, the apocalyptic take on the Craig Era by some makes me laugh. 'Eon must do this to survive...it must do that with Bond or it won't last...' :)) Some of us have watched this franchise wax and wane for half a century, and it has been in worse shape than this - by far.

I think the only director they could announce that would distress me would be Sam Mendes. I'm fully prepared to give whomever else they announce the benefit of the doubt.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Exactly.
    Chill out, people.
    Try to maintain a positive mental attitude about the whole situation.
    Bond will make it (no matter which studio may buy it or whatever Purvis and Wade think up this time round) and I want to believe that the next film is going to be a very good one, regardless of the director (except Mendes) etc.
    Don't let me stop you, though. This is a very interesting conversation, keep at it.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Villenueve

Isn't Villenueve involved in "Dune?" That'll keep him busy for the next two years.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,742MI6 Agent
    I have a gut feeling it's going to be either one of the young guys like Yann Demange. I think what he does would translate well to Bond but it would be kind of nice to have Campbell back to wrap up Craig's tenure. It seems like Campbell gets Bond and has a certain sensibility that results in good Bond films (doesn't hurt to have real Fleming either) and manages to inject that sensibility without all that "auteur" silliness.
  • BruceMurdockBruceMurdock OhioPosts: 133MI6 Agent
    Campbell would be my top ideal choice.
    "No for me."
    "You forgot the first rule of Mass Media Elliot! Give the people what they want!!!"
    "I never miss..."
    "Time to face gravity!"
    HowardB wrote:
    I have a gut feeling it's going to be either one of the young guys like Yann Demange. I think what he does would translate well to Bond but it would be kind of nice to have Campbell back to wrap up Craig's tenure. It seems like Campbell gets Bond and has a certain sensibility that results in good Bond films (doesn't hurt to have real Fleming either) and manages to inject that sensibility without all that "auteur" silliness.

I'd be totally fine with Campbell as well. But Demange has a certain 'buzz' around him :v ...Somehow, I think we'll know by autumn.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I'm all for a fresh viewpoint from the director's chair - additionally, though, the apocalyptic take on the Craig Era by some makes me laugh. 'Eon must do this to survive...it must do that with Bond or it won't last...' :)) Some of us have watched this franchise wax and wane for half a century, and it has been in worse shape than this - by far.

Thank you, Loeffs. If anything has been proved, it's that NO ONE can kill the Bond franchise. The times I've walked out of a Bond film feeling disappointed I've always been able to say, "Oh, well, there's always the next film." That said, maybe we've got a bunch of budding Hollywood executives here. . .what's their motto? "You're only as good as your last picture."
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

Thank you, Loeffs. If anything has been proved, it's that NO ONE can kill the Bond franchise. The times I've walked out of a Bond film feeling disappointed I've always been able to say, "Oh, well, there's always the next film." That said, maybe we've got a bunch of budding Hollywood executives here. . .what's their motto? "You're only as good as your last picture."

There's a mindset that psychologists talk about regarding doomsday preppers: there's a narcissistic impulse that has them really hoping for the apocalypse, because they want to be around for the end, and they don't like the idea of the world continuing past them. (I think we just elected a president on that platform...)

I honestly think we're seeing a bit of that here. But the reality everyone needs to get their heads around is that this franchise will outlive us all. :D
    {[]
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Dryden wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

And "Arrival" was a brilliant and very original take on the alien contact movie. A success among the critics. If you know Metacritic, they calculate an average of the reviews of the most influential film critics. "Arrival" got 82, a very high score. Villenueve has only made very good movies.
    What fans of Campbell gamble on is that it's not just luck that both his Bond movies were among his best movies, perhaps his best. I fear it's mainly luck.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on Arrival. I, along with everyone else I know who has seen it thought it poor.

Regarding Campbell and being lucky, well you were in the Army weren't you? You must recall, what Napoleon said about generals "I'd rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good".
    Dryden wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Dryden wrote:

We're going to have to agree to disagree on Arrival. I, along with everyone else I know who has seen it thought it poor.

Regarding Campbell and being lucky, well you were in the Army weren't you? You must recall, what Napoleon said about generals "I'd rather have a general who was lucky than one who was good".
    I enjoyed Arrival, I like renner and I thought it was a decent thoughtful extra terrestrial movie.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,758MI6 Agent
    Yes, let's agree to disagree about "Arrival".
    If Campbell gets hired for Bond25 I won't be upset, after all he made CR :007)
    But his films have been all over the place and there are other directors who never make bad movies.
    And Napoleon lost in the end.
    I think it would be fitting for Campbell to do the next one, we'd most likely get Arnold back and Dc enjoyed working with him, he also delivered a cracking bond movie, what better way to finish Dc's era than with the director who helped him explode into the bond role. Of course if rumours of Bond 25 being more character driven then I think Biers touch would work well.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'd really like the next film to be more CR in feel. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I'd really like the next film to be more CR in feel. -{
    -{ Absolutely, it's the film that reignited my love for bond with gusto.