No Time To Die wardrobe: possible spoilers

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    sunny01 wrote:
    apple8 wrote:

Thanks apple8 I have just purchased from Mr P using your link as I th8nkbthey work out cheaper?
    I dont think they're the same ones worn in Norway, just the ones worn in Matera but in black?
  • sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent
    Damn so I’ve ordered the wrong ones? Any advice appreciated as at least I can send them back. I’ve had first night out since March and one too many Guinness and Negorni combined and pulled the trigger too quickly as you do!
    Damn Negornis :)) FFS
  • Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    From what I can tell these are not the SA black cords Bond wears in Norway. These are the WINCH model Bond wears in Matera, but in black. The correct Norway model is MAUKO, I don't think MA is offering them to retailers yet.
    Mr Porter should not be advertising these with a Bond association.
    apple8 wrote:
    Thanks how do Winch differ from Mauro? obviously the colour is different but in terms of the actual cut?
  • NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    it was said that the black pants he wears in Norway is part of the black Sloop Suit and those pants have a button placket and no zipper like the Mr Porter ones

they have the sa matera pants in stock and just copy paste the text for the black ones
    https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/product/massimo-alba/clothing/casual-trousers/plus-007-winch-2-slim-fit-cotton-corduroy-trousers/10516758728383566

but to be honest, those are a very close alternative for a better price
    I asked Alessandro and he had this to say:

"It’s €290 plus dhl"

In reality the price has only increased by 30 euros but €50 for shipping is still a bit rich, DHL or not.
    MikeG77 wrote:
    That's a substantial cost increase! I'm wondering if Alessandro gave a reason for the change?
    sunny01 wrote:
    Thanks how do Winch differ from Mauro? obviously the colour is different but in terms of the actual cut?

WINCH:
    w960.jpg

MAUKO:
    P17U0SLOOP_T0301_U908_5.jpg

I would say the Winch is a little more tapered fit while Mauko is slim but straight fitting. Its a very subtle difference though.
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    Ferinstal wrote:
    I’m guessing that’s part of the impact of Tom Fords legal team going heavy-handed with them re: not being able to advertise ‘Bond’ association.

If you can advertise the Bond connection, you can probably keep the cost down as you will achieve volume of sales to more than cover cost to produce / margin etc.

If you can’t advertise the link, you’d have to set the price higher to cover costs and make your required margin, based on a lower volume of sales.

On the plus side, if you buy them you can be sure they will be a limited supply as I don’t envisage MA would keep them in their catalogue for too long at that price.

(I bought the Nero Lavato suit for €500 so have no skin in this game at all. Just my thoughts)

I know the Tom Ford issue was mentioned previously but I am not understanding why Tom Ford has such a problem with Massimo Alba advertising that their product is in NTTD?
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    My guess is it's the Sloop suit. When people think of "Bond suits" TF wants you think of them, not MA.
    Incredible analysis gents on the difference between the trousers so thank you very much. Disappointing on the price increase on the Mauko. I also did not realise they are not jet black.
  • LuciusNightmareLuciusNightmare Posts: 244MI6 Agent
    I think the costumes have been chosen less for style and more to fit the visual look of the film. So each costume fits with the colour scheme of the film. So in set photos, the costumes actually unattractive or odd. But when you see it in the film it fits the colour scheme. This was something that Linus Sandgren did deliberately with the cinematography in La La Land.

For example, the Matera suit looked like an odd choice in the set photos, but when you see it photographed you see it's supposed to suit the brown and blue look of the scene.

Is that how others see it?

vfsjYnD.jpg
    01WQU7n.jpg
    O6y8zm8.jpg
    BQX0X8p.jpg
  • cederic0011cederic0011 UKPosts: 181MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    The Massimo Alba baby cord trousers, worn with the Massimo Rain coat, Rag & Bone Henley and Crocket and Jones Moltons, have arrived at MA and they will be gradually making their way through the list for payment for those who signed up (mine arrived today).
    54-D67-DDE-2-F04-4711-801-D-FBBD379-C686-E.jpg
    BD51-DB63-DE4-C-46-D9-9060-54-FF35285223.jpg

I ordered mine today. The price hike is unfortunate, but I can't fault a business for wanting to capitalize on the Bond association. And these were specially made from what I understand.

Cederic is the material as light as the Winches? Are they fixed length or do you need to hem them?

Same weight as WINCH and they will need to be hemmed.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I think the costumes have been chosen less for style and more to fit the visual look of the film. So each costume fits with the colour scheme of the film. So in set photos, the costumes actually unattractive or odd. But when you see it in the film it fits the colour scheme. This was something that Linus Sandgren did deliberately with the cinematography in La La Land.

For example, the Matera suit looked like an odd choice in the set photos, but when you see it photographed you see it's supposed to suit the brown and blue look of the scene.

Costumes are always chosen to look good with the sets and surroundings (this is particularly noticeable in some of the 1970s Bond films), and this costume not unique in this regard. Some people found this suit to be unusual in its cut or material, which are not typical for Bond. The colour scheme of the beige suit and blue shirt are things that Moore and Brosnan wore before as Bond, though the burgundy tie stands out as something Bond didn't pair with such a suit and shirt before.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:

Costumes are always chosen to look good with the sets and surroundings (this is particularly noticeable in some of the 1970s Bond films), and this costume not unique in this regard. Some people found this suit to be unusual in its cut or material, which are not typical for Bond. The colour scheme of the beige suit and blue shirt are things that Moore and Brosnan wore before as Bond, though the burgundy tie stands out as something Bond didn't pair with such a suit and shirt before.

Glad we agree. It just feels more prominent this time. It feels as though Fukunaga is thinking more about the frame and how the colours will contrast and look when onscreen. I don't think we can say the same for the other films starring Daniel Craig. Which felt as though the costumes were chosen for a fashion choice.

What are people's opinion on the green coat. It's the only costume in NTTD that i truly do not understand it's just so hideous. Why would Bond wear such an ugly coat?! It looks more like something Dr Who would wear......

time-to-die-james-bond-coat-duster-550x550h.jpg

I'm praying he ditches the coat and actually just wears the henley and holster. This seems like such an iconic and cool look! Do people think he'll ditch the dodgy coat?

IMG-8764.jpg
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

Glad we agree. It just feels more prominent this time. It feels as though Fukunaga is thinking more about the frame and how the colours will contrast and look when onscreen. I don't think we can say the same for the other films starring Daniel Craig. Which felt as though the costumes were chosen for a fashion choice.

What are people's opinion on the green coat. It's the only costume in NTTD that i truly do not understand it's just so hideous. Why would Bond wear such an ugly coat?! It looks more like something Dr Who would wear......

time-to-die-james-bond-coat-duster-550x550h.jpg

I'm praying he ditches the coat and actually just wears the henley and holster. This seems like such an iconic and cool look! Do people think he'll ditch the dodgy coat?

IMG-8764.jpg

No, as he still wears it when the helicopter gets away with him just starting after it and when Nomi picks him up walking on the street with her AM...which most likely be the end to that particular action sequence.
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    The sense I have of Bond's costuming when he arrives in the UK is that he doesn't have much in the way of clothing (TF suits aside!). One clip shows him in a hotel room wearing the henley. And then he wears the henley again under the N.Peal jumper. Usually Bond has a bottomless wardrobe but something seems to be going on here to keep his outfits minimal.

Or not.
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    Have to stand up for the coat; in the flesh it is gorgeous and a lot of fun to wear.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I like the green duster coat too. It looks great on Craig, I think it's quite stylish, and it looks nice in the scene in the trailer.

I do think that the tan corduroy suit and blue button-down shirt were chosen just as much for fashion as they were to look good in the scene. Both are from brands that Craig personally likes, which I believe is why they were included in the film. They could just as easily have had Tom Ford make a tan corduroy suit, and make it in one of their more relaxed cuts compared to what Craig usually wears from them. The suit was just as much a fashion choice as it was to fit the surroundings. The grey Tom Ford suits that Craig so often wears in London scenes are likewise chosen to match the dreary London surroundings as well as fit in with the traditional types of suits that men wear in London.

What I'm saying is that this suit was chosen in a manner consistent with how Bond's suits are usually chosen: to fit the surroundings and to be stylish. What each of us find stylish is more or less subjective. I'm sure that Craig thinks the corduroy suit is very stylish, as it's fairly consistent with the relaxed suits he wears in his personal life. I personally prefer Roger Moore's similar suit from The Naked Face.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    I like the green duster coat too. It looks great on Craig, I think it's quite stylish, and it looks nice in the scene in the trailer.

I do think that the tan corduroy suit and blue button-down shirt were chosen just as much for fashion as they were to look good in the scene. Both are from brands that Craig personally likes, which I believe is why they were included in the film. They could just as easily have had Tom Ford make a tan corduroy suit, and make it in one of their more relaxed cuts compared to what Craig usually wears from them. The suit was just as much a fashion choice as it was to fit the surroundings. The grey Tom Ford suits that Craig so often wears in London scenes are likewise chosen to match the dreary London surroundings as well as fit in with the traditional types of suits that men wear in London.

What I'm saying is that this suit was chosen in a manner consistent with how Bond's suits are usually chosen: to fit the surroundings and to be stylish. What each of us find stylish is more or less subjective. I'm sure that Craig thinks the corduroy suit is very stylish, as it's fairly consistent with the relaxed suits he wears in his personal life. I personally prefer Roger Moore's similar suit from The Naked Face.

I think that the clothes were chosen to fit the colour scheme. For example, Daniel's Connelly blue jacket and Lea's red dress are clearly designed to compliment each other. It's clearly a 'choice' to ensure the pair look good together on screen. Essentially to ensure the primary colour-scheme that Linus Sandgren is sticking to.

cl106-connolly-giubbino-jacket-no-time-to-die-daniel-craig.jpg?itok=EOEmjui7

It's partially the reason why I think they decided to go with the green duster jacket. It compliments the colour-scheme that Cary and Linus want for that Norway scene. Even the car they are driving is that same green colour! I just don't think it's very Bondian. It's a bit odd. Perhaps because I'm just judging it on behind the scenes photos. By my own logic, it should be more appetising when its photographed properly on screen.

I think they may have been trying to emulate Ryan Gosling's K character in Blade Runner 2049 with at coat. There are overtures to that film in the design of Safin and his lair. So it was possibly in Cary's mind when designing the film.

blade-runner-2049-ryan-gosling-leather-coat-2-800x800.jpg

If I had my way, I'd put Craig in his leather jacket look from Layer Cake

Daniel-Craig-Belstaff-Patterson.jpg
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

I think that the clothes were chosen to fit the colour scheme. For example, Daniel's Connelly blue jacket and Lea's red dress are clearly designed to compliment each other. It's clearly a 'choice' to ensure the pair look good together on screen. Essentially to ensure the primary colour-scheme that Linus Sandgren is sticking to.

cl106-connolly-giubbino-jacket-no-time-to-die-daniel-craig.jpg?itok=EOEmjui7

It's partially the reason why I think they decided to go with the green duster jacket. It compliments the colour-scheme that Cary and Linus want for that Norway scene. Even the car they are driving is that same green colour! I just don't think it's very Bondian. It's a bit odd. Perhaps because I'm just judging it on behind the scenes photos. By my own logic, it should be more appetising when its photographed properly on screen.

I think they may have been trying to emulate Ryan Gosling's K character in Blade Runner 2049 with at coat. There are overtures to that film in the design of Safin and his lair. So it was possibly in Cary's mind when designing the film.

blade-runner-2049-ryan-gosling-leather-coat-2-800x800.jpg

If I had my way, I'd put Craig in his leather jacket look from Layer Cake

Daniel-Craig-Belstaff-Patterson.jpg
    I would be genuinely surprised if the Blade Runner coat was their inspiration. I feel like it was the result of Fukunaga's love for Red Dead Redemption more then anything else. And that carried over into the film a little bit, or atleast that sequence.
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent
    Have to stand up for the coat; in the flesh it is gorgeous and a lot of fun to wear.

Me too
    I'm a 41 in tf and originally bought a 50 in the Duster...
    Returned
    But then weakened and tried a 48. Chalk n cheese how it looked. I'm 6 ft 1 which also helps to carry it if you haven't got DC's shoulders!
    This look bought me in

Screenshot-20200927-213348.png
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Noi wrote:

Looks like they literally got in a handful. I noticed the new black buttons rather than the SA color.
    Noi wrote:

Looks like they literally got in a handful. I noticed the new black buttons rather than the SA color.

Did everyone end up getting their garment bag, correct buttons and hanger?
  • NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited December 2020
    Mr Porter has exactly the same sizes as in the Connolly online shop in stock and I can't imagine that there will be a restock
    talking about Connolly: was the Finamore-Shirt announced for November?
    MikeG77 wrote:

I received the garment bag and sa buttons but not hanger

hm I was on the list for the MA Maukos and havent heard anything from them, I wonder how long it takes to go through the list
    do you already received your pants? maybe I should get in touch with them
    Noi wrote:
    Mr Porter has exactly the same sizes as in the Connolly online shop in stock and I can't imagine that there will be a restock
    talking about Connolly: was the Finamore-Shirt announced for November?
    MikeG77 wrote:

I received the garment bag and sa buttons but not hanger

hm I was on the list for the MA Maukos and havent heard anything from them, I wonder how long it takes to go through the list
    do you already receive your pants? maybe I should get in touch with them

I inquired about the Finamore shirt and didn't make it in time but I was advised that if one becomes available the I'd get an email. I didn't know the Maukos would be available but I'd consider them depending on the price!
    Also, another possibly dumb question but do we think Bond wears the tshirt look as seen here? Or does he always wear it with the Connelly jacket? Hard to tell if this is between filming or actually on set

Eokb3VfXYAAWHG7?format=jpg&name=900x900
    EokbtiAWMAAFp-g?format=jpg&name=900x900
  • apple8apple8 London,UKPosts: 140MI6 Agent
    Noi wrote:

I’ve used Mr Porter since their first day, I’ve never known them to mention Bond in their descriptions
    They don’t even list the correct name of a lot of items - the McQueen Persols doesn’t even state they are the limited editions (black ones don’t even show the case)
    I wonder if the Bond brands have had a say in it
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    MikeG77 wrote:
    Noi wrote:

No.....