No Time To Die wardrobe: possible spoilers

Comments

• km1fdmkm1fdm USAPosts: 211MI6 Agent

True, but those folks you're referring to usually get free samples sent to them from the manufacturer in exchange for a review. Us plebes are left to wait to even know, because who knows why.. doesn't even make sense to have a confidentiality agreement really, these are not unreleased electronics or state secrets.

• 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent

It guarantees the manufacturers a positive review.

The "influencers" darent slag off a product even if it's poor for fear of losing freebies etc.

Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

This is a good point. I always value all video reviews as so much goes into them and they help so many people. BUT, 9/10 times there is a deal made with brands especially with how social media & marketing seem to go hand in hand these days. A lot of times it could simply be production. A brand is waiting on getting enough inventory so they can have a build up and release instead of only having some in stock and sporadically being available to buy. Think Tommy Bahama and how much of a pain that was when they had some and then didnt and kept saying when they’d have certain sizes. Not blaming them, just saying. One could argue just putting on hold and having a more standard release would help sales (when the movie gets pushed over and over, def doesnt help). So at that point it is a bit of a head scratcher as to waiting so many seasons to release vs waiting.

I know its not like people are getting thousands of dollars of Bond stuff for free just to review but ya gotta know there are agreements in place for some good publicity on their products. I’m the first one to admit frustration when I feel like people kinda keep info to themselves or reviews seem more hype and fanboy’ish vs authentic honesty but most of the good reviewers that we all know and love are pretty dang good about honesty no matter the excitement or deal in place. Just gotta understand that’s how it is.

Also, Swann’s is definitely a bigger size. I have a friend in wardrobe for some pretty massive tv/movies and this is very commonplace to emphasize “its the guy’s” shirt. You know too well DC is not THAT big and everything he wears would never be that loose.

end of novel

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

I don’t know what the confusion on the Danners is. A 10.5 US is a 9.5 UK. Always has been. And with these Danners it’s the same and they clearly label these boots as such. So I don’t know why people are saying there is only half a size difference. I take a 9.5 UK in a boot, so ordered a 10.5 US And they fit as they should. I’m more concerned with the fact the boots are naff and made with thin cheap nylon. Far from the Danner quality you’d expect, even at this price.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

probably doesn't help the boots are not the same size as the labels on the box.

My in-hand order: 007 store boots in box UK 11 (largest size available via 007 at launch). On the box US 11.5 UK 10.5.

• 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

Because the label inside the tongue states a different UK size to the box. I don't know if I'm the only one but I'd tend to go with the size stated in the boot rather than the box if I wanted to know the size? In this case the box gives a more accurate UK size.

And then add in the 007store did not make it clear it was US sizing we were buying.

I agree though that if you go a full 1 US up on your standard UK size they fit well.

Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

yeah. my 007store order now in hand. In box UK 11's. Box labelled US 11.5 UK 10.5.

Order was for 11.5 and did not state US sizes at the time of sale.

Nothing lines up.

edited September 2021

Ah right. Mine are labelled like that too, just checked. But the box is right and the boot label is wrong. They are labelled 10.5US - 10UK. But they are actually 10.5US - 9.5UK. So the box is correct and the boot label they messed up.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

You'd think that if there are any remaining secrets they'd come out this week with the film premiering. There's no reason left to wait. There won't be a better to market and sell your Bond related product.

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent

The thing is though is that the Spectre Mountain Lights are like this also

Instagram - bondclothes007

True, hopefully we know soon.

Def understand your point. I love watching the reviews and unboxing etc, and will continue to watch them - but the thing is, these products often aren't available until the review anyway, so they could actually tell us here in this forum. They could build the hype earlier and do a much better job selling the product at launch, rather than hoarding knowledge. Simply knowing (even if something can't be purchased at the time), saves a lot of headache of people hunting around the internet for hours for something that may not even exist, and helps folks plan out purchase in advance. Brands are going to market the way they want, but seeing how so many launches have been so poorly executed with NTTD in particular, they might consider changing the way they do that in the future.

Just my opinion.

• Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

Exactly! It literally premieres in a couple days. Some brands are missing some massive opportunities.

Stole the words right outta my mouth on that one. 1000% with you on that. I feel like a lot of people have thought that way especially with this one with the delays. It’s like a community on here. I get more joy out of sharing whatever I find to people on here than I do being the one that found something. An example is the work canoe does with Iconic Aternatives. It really is one of the best things I’ve ever seen. Literally researches not just what an item is but options, actual multiple options, based on budget just to help people enjoy bond. Thats what it’s about.

So….who makes the swimshorts! Kidding.. kinda.. not really.

• Alex006Alex006 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

Completely agree with your points, km. Personally, I have my suspicions why folks tend to do this, and none of them are altruistic. Let's just say that if it were me, I'd either volunteer info, or I'd keep it to myself (if I were being selfish, which I have done in the past).

Unless you're actually directly involved in the production, dangling info just sounds like narcissistic attention seeking behavior to me if it doesn't actually contribute anything.

Not singling anyone out, just my thoughts from seeing this behavior on several different forums over the years.

Totally valid points. The only thing I've probably identified first were the socks, and I did share that info, lol.

Absolutely sir, community is what it's about (or supposed to be), when you say "Bond Community". Totally agreed that Iconic Alternatives is one of the best of the community, hands down. Would love to buy the man a drink one day.

• RichardCard82RichardCard82 Posts: 292MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

DZ

David Z mentioned there's an embargo on the brand until the movie is released, afterwards we will know the brand and I'm sure it will be released

David definitely knows the brand but can't say it

edited September 2021

If anyone's interested, the 007store pretty much confirms that N Peal did not make the trousers for the film, but are instead making replicas BASED on those trousers.

"Discover the James Bond No Time To Die Combat Trousers by N.Peal. Based on an original design made for Bond to wear in the film, these unique trousers have been meticulously recreated by N.Peal with all of the the authentic detailing and features. 

The recreation has been fully approved by No Time To Die Costume Designer Suttirat Ann Larlarb..."

Guess this explains why there are marketing shots of a production made pair next to N Peal's copy- that was probably the pair N Peal was given/loaned to copy the design off of.

Also, if anyone's curious the 007store has a side by side comparison of the two trousers. There's quite a few minor differences, but good copy overall. My personal takeaway though is that they are almost certainly not using the same fabrics and hardware, but rather a color matched fabric and mostly close-enough hardware.

Still, this is probably the closest the general public is going to get to owning a pair. Not sure this justifies the N. Peal price tag, but it is what it is.

If anyone's interested, it looks like the 007store pretty much confirms that the N Peal trousers did not produce the trousers for the film, but rather are simply making replicas BASED on the ones in the film:

"Discover the James Bond No Time To Die Combat Trousers by N.Peal. Based on an original design made for Bond to wear in the film, these unique trousers have been meticulously recreated by N.Peal with all of the the authentic detailing and features. 

The recreation has been fully approved by No Time To Die Costume Designer Suttirat Ann Larlarb..."

This would explain those side by side marketing shots next to a screen used pair. This was most likely the pair that N Peal was given/loaned to copy the design off of.

You can see for yourself, the 007store has a pretty clear shot that shows the differences, and there are a couple. I suspect that the fabric chosen is not the same, just color matched, and that the hardware for the most part are close enoughs.

Nevertheless, a pretty good copy though, and this is most likely the closest the general public will get to owning a pair of NTTD's Commando pants from a reputable source.

Personally, in hindsight, I just don't think this really justifies a purchase. I'm more of a fan of getting stuff from the original makers, so this is basically just merchandising. Not to mention that the materials used here would not be ideal as tactical pants/hiking pants, or at least they're not technical fabrics, ultimately reduces its usability to costume wear.

• SnorpleySnorpley Posts: 86MI6 Agent

Valid POV of course, but I think I’d call it casual wear before calling is costume wear. I don’t mind that a company was tasked with the recreation, as there would be no real alternative otherwise. And we probably have the NPeal pants to thank, should another maker shoot for something more ‘technically accurate(?)’ at some stage in the future, as it could be the only template available.

Price has to be mentioned by people wondering if things are ‘worth it’, but Compared to the Tom Ford show that was Spectre, one could mount a pretty solid case for these pants being great value.

i still haven’t pulled the trigger myself, but I’ll continue to think about doing so until they sell out, and the choice is taken from me lol.

all the best,

S.

...a brother from Sydney
    edited September 2021

All fair points, but I'm not sure I'd compare this to Tom Ford prices. Sure, a pair of Danners might be expensive compared to a pair of Sperry's, but they're a steal compared to Crockett and Jones. It's all relative.

My main question is whether they're worth it for what you're paying. Is TF worth it? Sure, if you have expensive tastes, Tom Ford pieces are normal items of clothing you could wear anywhere.

But a pair of tactical pants in a non tactical fabric/construction(?) really limits what you can wear them with. Sure, you can consider them casual wear, but let's be honest, a pair of commando pants with a knife pocket and suspender loops are a very difficult item to pull off in most casual settings without raising a few eyebrows. I just don't see these as casual pants unless you live in a DMZ.

A more fair comparison would be if Tom Ford were the ones that made a copy of these trousers at Tom Ford prices, would it be worth it? Probably not, unless you're a collector with a big pocket. And if you are, more power to you. It's all relative. But at the end of the day, I don't think it's worth it to me.

(Sidenote: When I said these were more for costume wear, I don't mean that these are Rubies Halloween quality. I just mean they are very limited in what situations you can realistically wear them with...)

Doubt these will ever sell out, pretty sure the Bond connection is a pretty healthy part of their business model. Heck, Skyfall items from a decade ago are still available. FYI though, if you are on the fence, I'd suggest using the promo code Autumn15. Gets you 15% off, so that might make the decision a bit easier ;)

Yes, now I understand. Danner have screwed things up massively.

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. I'm truly glad some of you find IA helpful! 🍸️

As for brands and sharing knowledge, I think it's worth remembering that there are really 3 parties involved here: the brands, the production companies and we the fans. We fans rarely know what the relationship is like between the brand and EON/MGM/Danjaq. Is the brand even allowed to use the Bond name and imagery in promotion? When a brand like Orlebar Brown or N.Peal is paying (probably) millions of dollars for their "Bond endorsement", is it fair for a "new Bond brand" like Tommy Bahama, Rag&Bone or RgT (those are just examples) to do the same for free? Especially when their products were selected by the costume department sometimes without the brand even knowing they were going to be used in the film? I wouldn't be at all surprised if some brands are still trying to figure out how to handle that and want to keep their involvement quiet until they do.

Again, as only an example, think about how someone like A&S could be (hypothetically) dealing with this. N.Peal pays a lot of money I'm sure to be Bond's go-to knitwear brand. But the costume department decides to use an A&S knit Henley in this film. Will EON/MGM/Danjaq even let A&S announce the relationship? How will N.Peal feel? Another example: is Rag&Bone pissed off that N.Peal is making their own Henley to go along with Commando (sorry "Army" 😈) sweater and trousers?

Then of course there is the production of said products. This film was supposed to come out a year and a half ago. Today's supply chain and manufacturing situation is radically different than what it was in the winter/spring of 2019/20. So the brands are not only dealing with previously used fabrics/materials now being unavailable (like Connolly and the shirting). They're also dealing with supply chain delays that are lasting 6 to 8 months in some cases. We've known about the Supply Jacket almost since the very begining and I'm sure they've sold alot of them thanks to websites/influencers promoting their involvment. But now here we are less than a week away from the film's release and poor RgT still doesn't have re-stock. That has to be frustrating.

Or Barbour, who have probably been sitting on the "new" Covert for over a year, watching the aging inventory pop up on 3rd party online store after 3rd party online store seemingly at random. How would it feel to see your latest and greatest Bond jacket showing up on a discount site like Nordstrom Rack?

Personally, I think many of the brands are doing a pretty good job of at least trying to meet fan demand. How often have we gnashed our teeth because we couldn't get a particular shirt or jacket or sweater because it was from a brand's earlier season collection (and the brand had zero interest in re-making it)? With NTTD we actually have brands making an effort to reproduce products from 5 or 6 seasons ago (or mass produce custom pieces made for the film) to meet fan demand (and yes, I'm totally aware of the money involved and I'm under no illusions it's an altruistic move on their part).

As for the relationships other websites and influencers have with the brands and/or EON/MGM/Danjaq: I really have no idea how that is working. I can say that I greatly appreciate all the hard work and effort they put into creating their content for the rest of the fan community and (from a business perspective) the hustle it takes to form these relationships and keep them healthy. It's hard work. Honestly, if a brand asked me to keep their involvement quiet, I like to think I'd honor their request and hold the info under lock and key until I got the go ahead. But I also hope I wouldn't go around the fan community saying, "I know something you don't know." Luckily, as I previously stated, nobody ever tells me anything in advance, so my ethics have never been put to the test 😁.

TL;DR: the relationship between brands, EON/MGM/Danjaq and influencers = complicated

Cheers all!

John

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Information embargoes are part and parcel of many product launches. Movies are sometimes seen by critics weeks or even months before they are allowed to publish a review or even comment on the film. The same goes for books and even new cars. It's very often the way of the business.

• JTBondJTBond Posts: 112MI6 Agent

I've done some online research about the Danner sizing. And according to a couple of outdoor equipment websites, Danner uses the Brannock device for sizing. If you look at the conversion chart the UK sizes convert to a half size smaller than the US size. So, if this is the case, then the tag on the tongue is what is the correct size.

Brannock conversion chart:

https://brannock.com/pages/conversion-chart

• TSRGusTSRGus Posts: 88MI6 Agent

Is the Barbour Covert jacket a waxed cotton, just cotton, or perhaps a waxed cotton that has been washed? The care tag in the pocket says that the jacket can be washed which is contrary to any other waxed cotton jacket.

• Not waxed.

• Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 460MI6 Agent

Hi guys.

To all of you who will be seeing NTTD over the next few days, on behalf of all Australian fans, I would like to kindly ask that you please refrain from posting spoilers in this thread until we have had a chance to see the film when it releases here on November 11.

I am personally staying away from clips, trailers and other media sources however keeping a close eye on this thread and others as I do not want to miss out wardrobe news and releases.

I realize 'possible spoilers' is in the title of this thread, ergo some bits and pieces which may be considered spoilers will slip through the cracks. Please please try to keep these types of posts to a necessary minimum.

I hope this does appeal to everyone's better nature. It really would mean a lot to us 🥂

I don’t think there is much chance of the whole community not talking about the film for five weeks straight. You maybe best avoid forums for a while. The clothing forums will certainly contain spoilers as more items are discussed in context.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

I had to return my NPeal combat trousers to size-up. While in the process, I thought it would be rude not to make an additional purchase 😉 and therefore added the NP Henley to my replacement trousers. Both arrived today. Firstly, the trousers now fit me perfectly and are fantastic. I am completely happy with them. However, the Henley is just gorgeous. It feels wonderful and looks great. I am delighted with it and it will get lots of use. I highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking that way.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

I broke down and got the henley, as well. It's really rare to find shirts in that style made with of quality materials and which such attention to design. It's too bad it wasn't used in the film, as it looks so much better with the jumper. But there must be a purpose to Bond wearing that R&B henley for half the movie.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2021

I'm actually going to have to agree with Bond_Ambitions on this one...

I think you can easily discuss and reveal wardrobe pieces without giving away huge portions of the movie,

just don't be absent-minded and negligent; think before you speak.

you don't have to say things like "Oh, this is what Bond wore when he did this or did that, or this happened!"

or "this is what he was wearing in the scene when so and so died or when he found out XYZ..."

My own father and brother are 2 people that cannot talk about a film without giving everything away, and I mean everything. lol

I think we can all agree that it's annoying when that happens.