The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,766MI6 Agent
    I wonder if many young Americans are considering a career as a pollster? :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    We are living in the 21st century and there a masses of protesters who demand to immediately stop counting the ballots from a democratic election. 8-)

That‘s the power of Social Media, I guess
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Just loving the fact that they uphold the democratic right of dead people to still cast votes via absentee ballot :))

As an outsider to all of this, it has become more & more bonkers by the hour what is going on there. How can it take so long to count a few thousand votes that are remaining?!

I'm sure that it won't be long before President Kamala is unveiled.
    Higgins wrote:
    We are living in the 21st century and there a masses of protesters who demand to immediately stop counting the ballots from a democratic election. 8-)

That‘s the power of Social Media, I guess

Trump and the Republican leadership are pretty sure they can't win if all the votes cast are counted. In general I think they know that if everyone who wants to vote gets to vote they won't win. That's the reason for all the voter suppression happenes. The last seven (now eight) presidential elections the Republican candidate has only won the majority of the popular vote once.
    Ens007 wrote:
    How can it take so long to count a few thousand votes that are remaining?.

A couple of million would be more accurate.
    And this has always happened in the last decades - and we have a pandemic out there - that‘s why even more people voted by mail.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,519Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:
    To be honest, I am already gutted...

All polls turned out to be totally off - again - after they said, that they learnt from the 2016 mistakes!

My personal opinion was, that if significantly more people would vote, that would be a landslide win for the democrats because it was hard to believe for me that Trump will be able to get „new“ voters from that plus. Turns out, that I‘ve been totally wrong - for the first time ever may I say :D

Hasn’t Trump got over 4 million more votes than last time? :s But Biden has had more votes than any other candidate in a single Presidential race in US history...
    This will rumble on for months 8-)

This just sums Trump up such empathy :#
    YNWA 97
    edited November 2020
    I think most of the main broadcasters will pronounce Biden the winner some time tomorrow, followed by Biden himself giving his victory speach..

Fun fact: Fox News called Biden as the winner in Arizona before NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation)!
    edited November 2020
    Sir Miles wrote:

Hasn’t Trump got over 4 million more votes than last time? :s But Biden has had more votes than any other candidate in a single Presidential race in US history...
    #

That was kinda my point.
    If my numbers are correct,(numbers edited) 6 million more ( 145,5 mio 2020 vs 139,5 mio 2016) where voting and prior to the election, I thought that most of those 6 million voters would vote Democratic.
    It was hardly imaginable to me that Trump could add ~4million votes after the economy crashed and how he handled Covid.

Shows that I was terribly wrong.

But Bernie Sanders was right! This is an interview from before elelction night with Jimmy Fallon where Bernie predicts exactly what has happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBPG-GXkO7k&feature=emb_logo
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    But Bernie Sanders was right! This is an interview from before elelction night with Jimmy Fallon where Bernie predicts exactly what has happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBPG-GXkO7k&feature=emb_logo

I remember watching that interview the day it aired and thinking that yes, Trump is a sore loser, isn’t a very rational thinker, makes all these bold claims etc, but surely he’s not stupid enough to claim the whole thing is fraudulent just because some states haven’t gone the way he thought they would...I gave him way too much credit.

I just think it’s absolutely unbelievable that the majority of major networks are having to cut away from press conferences with the sitting freaking President of the freaking United States because they’re filled with an incredible number of unsubstantiated claims. What is going on?! :s
    I would have been very surprised if Trump hadn't made the voting fraud claims. He did it in 2016 (but never supplied proof) and he's been saying this election will be stolen from him since his campaign started. I think Trump will claim this election was stolen from him (it looks like he wil lose) the rest of his life.
    edited November 2020
    For all those smart (and the ones who are not so smart :D ) that scream "voter fraud" and "they are now finding the necessary votes": some facts ( while I know that facts won't change your opinion :D )

The State of Ohio counts Mail in Ballots before the regular votes.
    At a very early stage, Ohio reported a lead for Biden (because he was ahead in the mail in ballots) and soon later he lost that lead.

In PA, there where around 2,6 million mail in ballots and those are counted after the counting of the direct votes.
    Votes that arrived after 3rd November are minimal ( perhaps in the hundreds or in the thousand but are counted seperately and are put aside. They will very much likely not influence the outcome of the election in PA.

Trump had a lead of roughly 1 million after the normal votes and before the mail in ballots have been counted.
    As mail in ballots (see Ohio) are mainly for the democrats * to 70-85% it's no surprise that Trump's lead is eaten off by mail in ballots

* Why are mail in ballots to a degree of 70-85% for democrats, you may ask?
    Well, people who follow Biden tend to be seriously concerned about Covid and are avoiding crowds - to a much higher degree that Tumpsters.

I've heard now a very interesting piece how this could all end:

Trump could try to stretch the outcome of the elections with his attourneys to a degree, where until a deadline (mid december) there is still no official result of the elections.

The consequences could be, that
    a) The Federal states independently chose the electorals which will lead to a republican majority
    b) Every State gets one vote and the majority of votes will then chose the new President.

All theory now, but it would not surprise me, if that is the strategy of the Whitehouse now.

Higgins wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

#

That was kinda my point.

Yes, I know it was...I was agreeing with you by giving the numbers I had heard.

Higgins wrote:
    Shows that I was terribly wrong.

Again, I’m agreeing with you :v :D
    YNWA 97
    Higgins wrote:
    I've heard now a very interesting piece how this could all end:

Trump could try to stretch the outcome of the elections with his attourneys to a degree, where until a deadline (mid december) there is still no official result of the elections.

The consequences could be, that
    a) The Federal states independently chose the electorals which will lead to a republican majority
    b) Every State gets one vote and the majority of votes will then chose the new President.

All theory now, but it would not surprise me, if that is the strategy of the Whitehouse now.

Trump HAS to stretch this out for as long as possible and fight it with all he has - he’s about $1billion in debt and he has to pay it back within (roughly) four years...he NEEDS the Presidency to stop him going bankrupt...
    YNWA 97
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Congratulations to Joe Biden. This is premature I know but I feel nothing but a miricle on Donald Trump's part could stop Biden from winning. The closeness means I think he will need to work very hard to try and attempt to bring the country back together. If this is possible I don't know, there seems to be many angry people on both sides.

I think it is interesting to note that many people in the UK who are raging about possible Trump legal action to overturn the vote are the very same people who were supporting Gina Miller legal action to overturn the vote.

You either accept the result of a free and fair election, regardless of whether you support the outcome or not or - well - you know what I think already so I don't have to repeat myself!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm just amused to see the same people who for the last four years have complained about
    the last election being fraudulent are now saying it's impossible to have a fraudulent election :D

Still Good luck to sleepy Joe -{ and the Dems -{ no arguments from me. Good luck to the US -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I'm just amused to see the same people who for the last four years have complained about
    the last election being fraudulent are now saying it's impossible to have a fraudulent election :D {

Yes, exactly! It would seem that it is only fraud if it doesn't fit with your opinion!
    the last election being fraudulent are now saying it's impossible to have a fraudulent election :D{

Great post & you beat me to it TP - amazing how the fraud narrative suddenly changes for some people! :))

Genuinely think there’s a big sting in the tail somewhere with this election, but good luck to whoever is finally elected through a true democratic process. More importantly, I hope there’s a way that the US can come together as one after this election mess.
    Agreed, I really hope America can come together again ( No matter who is President ) -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Hearing a lot of doubt here. Do you lads really think there’s any realistic way Trump will come out of this on-top and be the one getting the ceremony on January 21? All the legal challenges and recount requests really seem like they’ll just be delaying the inevitable.
    If you check my post out, I've already said Good luck to Joe and the Dems -{
    Who has said that Trump will win?!?

I simply hope that a fully legal & truly democratic vote has taken place & that the country can hopefully unite after the conclusion - in whatever form that arrives.

My own reason for any kind of doubt is solely down to the fact that (as an outsider from the other side of the pond) there appears to be very strange things afoot in this election & it can’t be good for healing these divides. Having heard for the last 4 years that fraud was rife in the 2016 election, it seems somewhat convenient that is has now miraculously disappeared now when the Democrat’s appear to be on the verge.

I will repeat once again - I truly hope that the country can come together after this & move forward, however I would think that a number of issues need to be resolved before that can happen in any kind of harmony.
    edited November 2020
    I may have a short memory, but I don‘t remember anyone from this forum having called the 2016 election fraudulent. And also noone from the US democrats comes to mind.

Constant lies, libel, Aid from Russia, xenophobia and all kind of stuff - yes - and most of it continued in the 4 years that followed.
    Fraud: No!

JTM wrote:
    Hearing a lot of doubt here. Do you lads really think there’s any realistic way Trump will come out of this on-top and be the one getting the ceremony on January 21? All the legal challenges and recount requests really seem like they’ll just be delaying the inevitable.

Are you 'hearing' what you want to hear? No one has said anything about Trump 'coming out on top'?
    Sadly coming to the conclusion that there is zero point trying to engage in any form of open discussion within these boards. Political matters seem far too emotive for some & it doesn’t seem to lend itself to anything positive.

Time for me to exit stage left I think & wish those of us who are from the US the very best of luck with the election outcome.

As it stands right now, congrats to Mr Biden & I hope you can heal the divisions within your country.
    Joshua wrote:
    JTM wrote:

Are you 'hearing' what you want to hear? No one has said anything about Trump 'coming out on top'?

No, I’m not hearing what I want to hear. A few comments above mentioned “whoever is elected”, “who is president” etc, which seems to indicate doubt of the outcome and that there still is a possibility of Trump “coming out on top”. At this stage that just doesn’t seem possible at all. The comments above were probably just trying to remain neutral/avoid arguments though, so my apologies for jumping on that.
    JTM. No need to apologise.

Let me be clear. I said my own congratulations to Biden were premature simply because the result has not been officially announced when I made my post. Who ever is the winner of a free and fair vote, is the winner of a free and fair vote, regardless of if I support them or not.

I do not support either actually. Only the result and the will of the electorate..
    My hopes were for Kanye :# but there's always 2024
    My hopes were for Kanye :# but there's always 2024

I hope you will show yourself to be a true democrat (not the party!) and accept the result! :)) :007)
This discussion has been closed.