The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,192Chief of Staff
    ....and there we go. Thread closed. Well, who would have guessed?

Guys, please don't bother with the usual barrage of PMs telling me whose fault this was and how innocent someone is. I don't care, I only want a nice peaceful discussion that doesn't descend to name-calling etc. As I've said many, many times before.
    Thread opened in view of events in USA.
    I will of course close it again if necessary. You all know the rules by now.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,758MI6 Agent
    I'm deeply shocked and saddened by what's happening. If this was happening in, say.... Argentina or Italy, we wouldn't hesitate to call it an attempted coup. The US democracy is badly damaged what's happening is Trump's responsibilty. :#
    As you know I don't usually directly comment here, but this is totally shocking and to use an English expression, bang out of order. I am horrified.
    How can the country heal from this?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    This is absolutely disgusting!

The thought that Trump is in front of the TV and lets this happen uncalled is beyond my belief.
    Someone on CNN just said: Imagine that 30.000 BLM protesters would do this - just imagine that would be said and done!

And I blame the GOP for letting this happen. They went rougue since Obama - it started when they systematically blocked everything from him and it now ends as a result of their unlimited support for Donald Trump!

I also imagine how the fanatic Trump supporters feel when seeing this.
    I fear hundreds of thousands of them taking this as their call to do the same.

There have been speculations that Trump may lever out the elections by applying martial law and is may be chapter one of the plan...
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    And Putin, the Chinese peoples Party and many dictators are laughing their arses off right now... X-(

• JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:

What has happened? I have been watching some films and not seen the news. Has there been violence?
    edited January 2021
    I'm struggling to think of any incidents in US history comparable to this. I don't think there is.
    Any responsible president would go on TV right now and ask the demonsrators to leave the Senate building and urge the American people to calm down and stand together behind the constitution. Sadly it couldn't be clearer that Trump is not a president who does the right thing.
    I'm sure there are a number of Republican voters in the forum who cares deeply about the country and democracy. I wonder how they are feeling today?
    Joshua wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

What has happened? I have been watching some films and not seen the news. Has there been violence?

Pro-Trump demonsrators have are conducting a siege of the Senate building, some has broken into the building, senator are hiding and reports say a woman has been shot in the Senate. The demonstrators are trying to stop the formal counting and approval of the votes from the electorial college.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,693MI6 Agent
    The only good thing is that surely he’ll be pretty much kicked out after this. Surely the entire world and country denouncing him will have an effect? Probably not. No consequences anymore.

Funny thing is I remember 911 when all of the rolling news networks used the slogan ‘attacks on America’ in their onscreen graphics, and surely that’s far more appropriate here. The whole stability of the country is under attack from one man. Disgusting.
    I don't mind that Trump's legacy is in ruins, but has he any idea of the damage he has done to the standing of his country?
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Utterly shocking news. Democracy is being trampled underfoot. Far from denouncing this outrage, it seems likely that Trump supports it. I wouldn't be surprised if he does declare Martial Law to his own ends. Where will it end?
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Joshua wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

Pro-Trump demonsrators have are conducting a siege of the Senate building, some has broken into the building, senator are hiding and reports say a woman has been shot in the Senate. The demonstrators are trying to stop the formal counting and approval of the votes from the electorial college.

Ah, I see. Thank you. This is what happens when people refuse to accept the results of elections. Trouble after trouble after trouble. This will only be the start. The margins were too narrow to make people go away. I have already said earlier in this discussion that the new administration must move quickly to have a full independent inquiry to stop the rumours and prove that the election was conducted freely and fairly. I'm sure that many Trump supporters will not be satisfied with that any way, but I feel Biden will not be able to govern properly unless it is done.
    Number24 wrote:
    I don't mind that Trump's legacy is in ruins, but has he any idea of the damage he has done to the standing of his country?

I genuinely think he thinks nothing and no-one is more important than him. He doesn’t care about the country, he’s just thinking of a way he can play it so it makes him look good. Good luck with that, Don.
    I've made this topic sticky for the moment.
    I just saw Trump's video on Twitter. He asks the demonstrators to go home and he asks for peace. But he continues his unproven claims, and he also calls the demonstrators "very special people" and his oponents "evil". Shocking!
    Number24 wrote:
    I just saw Trump's video on Twitter. He asks the demonstrators to go home and he asks for peace. But he continues his unproven claims, and he also calls the demonstrators "very special people" and his oponents "evil". Shocking!

He tells the people who stormed the most sacrescent cradle of American democracy that he “loves them”, whilst he criticises people who take the knee in the name of equality of disrespecting their country. He is a disgrace.
    edited January 2021
    I wonder if any members of Trump's cabinet and his closest staff will resign in order to distance themselves from this disgrace? Will VP Pence resign?
    Number24 wrote:
    I wonder if any members of Trump's cabinet and his closest staff will resign in order to distance themselves from this disgrace?

It does seem that him and Pence are over.
    emtiem wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    I wonder if any members of Trump's cabinet and his closest staff will resign in order to distance themselves from this disgrace?

It does seem that him and Pence are over.

Yes, it's hard to see how Pence can remain Trump's VP in the remaining couple of weeks.
    So you are saying - instead of Trump stepping back on the last day and let then President Pence pardon him - Trump must pardon himself now? ? :)) :))

The mayor has called in the National Guard in support of the police. The shooting inside the Senate was also confirmed.
    emtiem wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

He tells the people who stormed the most sacrescent cradle of American democracy that he “loves them”, whilst he criticises people who take the knee in the name of equality of disrespecting their country. He is a disgrace.

I have to agree.
    Some are trying to draw up impeachment proceedings against him, does that seem likely? I’d love it but I don’t think it’s likely, sadly. It would send out a strong message.

But with Biden’s statement I think it’s pretty clear that he’s effectively the president now.
    Yes, I agree. No chance of an impeachment and Biden is effectively the President.
    Biden is the one behaving like a president should, to be the adult in the room.
    I wonder what will happen to the Republican party. On one hand they are completely dependent on Trump's supporter, but many key figures and members must know the party has severely lost their way.
    It's no longer grand, that should be clear tonight.
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent
    With obvious caveats it’s sort fascinating that any foreign actor, state or otherwise, who might have pondered ‘could you really invade America and seize the capital in this day and age..’ has a pretty good answer now.
    I've been calling those people "demonstrators", but is that the right word? Many in the crowd standing outside may not have known exactly what was happening in the Senate, so they can perhaps be called demonstrators. But the people breaking in I'd call a mob at best and very possibly coup-makers.
This discussion has been closed.