Die Hard: Little Niggles

FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
edited November 2017 in Off Topic Chat
In the spirit of the main little niggles threat here on AJB.

0. Using smoke grenades on security guard before executing him is waaaayyy overkill. Those 2 security guards were hardly expecting or prepared for any serious type of attack.

1. John tries to sound tough by pistol whipping the first henchman. This leads to a scuffle to where they both fell down the stairs out of control. Luckily, the henchman broke his neck in the fall. Why didn't John just shoot him instead of wasting his energy in a fight?

2. The way John is holding his pistol above the vent when Karl is lookin for him.
Why doesn't he aim it at Karl thru the bars instead of abstractly holding it.

3. Why doesn't Police Dispatch take his emergency call more seriously?

4. If Officer Powell is a "desk jockey" who was taken off the streets a while back, then why does he still carry a gun and have his own patrol car and respond to incidents?!

5. Why does John think adding more detonators into the same block C4 will cause a bigger explosion? Also, why does John think this is a good idea? Seems to me like he almost wiped out all the hostages and maybe even some police outside.

6. John should realize that firing his machine gun around the hostages would make him appear to be a bad guy from the helicopter's point of view.

7. How did Karl get undead after being hung by the chain?

8. John's allowed to just leave with his wife no questions asked?
My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK

Comments

• hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I've always wondered how Karl was able to get the chain off his neck. There was no one there to help him. John had taken care of everyone else. Also, how is Karl not brain damaged. He must've been up there for ages.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I love the film so much, simply watch and enjoy. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Actually, I didn't find Mclane's motives in the first one to be that good.
    Sure they killed those innocent guards and his wife would be out of a job but John Altman was a professional. He wouldn't order to kill any innocents unless they interfered with their business.
    Also, what kind of a corporation would such valuable bonds in its HQ rather than an undisclosed safe in the middle of nowhere?
    (Bad sarcasm was sprinkled in for added effect.)
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    I suppose the way the German bad guys obligingly speak in English whenever the plot deems it necessary to have McClane eavesdrop on their conversation and butt in facetiously. Then they go back to speaking in German whenever they need to underline their Teutonic badness.

The fact that McClane can't speak German at all and this in itself would assist the bad guys in discussing their intended crime over walkie talkies is generally overlooked for convenience... but is the sort of thing that lulls America and the western world into overestimating their (our) abilities.

It was similar in 40s Night Train to Munich were the Englishers eavesdrop on a wicked Nazi plan - discussed obligingly in English of course. Likewise, in Sound of Music, the good Austrians are English, the kids are American and the Nazis speak English with a German accent - and don't get a song.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • FiremassFiremass AlaskaPosts: 1,910MI6 Agent
    Excellent points NP. -{
    My current 10 favorite:

1. GE 2. MR 3. OP 4. TMWTGG 5. TSWLM 6. TND 7. TWINE 8.DN 9. GF 10. AVTAK
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    I'll just leave this video right here:

(Be warned, profanity and graphic violence are in this video)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnHKv2G0wCw
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Best holiday film ever, so I am not listening to any of this. :D
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    0. Using smoke grenades on security guard before executing him is waaaayyy overkill. Those 2 security guards were hardly expecting or prepared for any serious type of attack. Best not to take chances- some security guards have killer backgrounds.

1. John tries to sound tough by pistol whipping the first henchman. This leads to a scuffle to where they both fell down the stairs out of control. Luckily, the henchman broke his neck in the fall. Why didn't John just shoot him instead of wasting his energy in a fight? John overestimates his abilities here. Quite charming IMO.

2. The way John is holding his pistol above the vent when Karl is lookin for him.
    Why doesn't he aim it at Karl thru the bars instead of abstractly holding it. He's being one with the gun, like when you turn your steering wheel without really gripping it.

3. Why doesn't Police Dispatch take his emergency call more seriously? You clearly do not live in LA ;)

4. If Officer Powell is a "desk jockey" who was taken off the streets a while back, then why does he still carry a gun and have his own patrol car and respond to incidents?! It was the 80's.

5. Why does John think adding more detonators into the same block C4 will cause a bigger explosion? Also, why does John think this is a good idea? Seems to me like he almost wiped out all the hostages and maybe even some police outside. He has no clue how C-4 works- he's a cop, not a Demolition Man.

6. John should realize that firing his machine gun around the hostages would make him appear to be a bad guy from the helicopter's point of view. He needed them off the roof and was thinking of nothing else at the moment- he's a cop, not a diplomat.

7. How did Karl get undead after being hung by the chain? He was never dead, just faking it because he was so beat... yeah, that's a stretch....

8. John's allowed to just leave with his wife no questions asked? Hey- he's a cop, not a terrorist. Questions AFTER Christmas.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    About the german thing, I haven't seen anyone moan about how the gang in Where Eagles Dare speaks fluent german yet decides to speak english for all of the movie.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • Bond fan from OzBond fan from Oz Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

0. Using smoke grenades on security guard before executing him is waaaayyy overkill. Those 2 security guards were hardly expecting or prepared for any serious type of attack.

1. John tries to sound tough by pistol whipping the first henchman. This leads to a scuffle to where they both fell down the stairs out of control. Luckily, the henchman broke his neck in the fall. Why didn't John just shoot him instead of wasting his energy in a fight?
    John couldn't simply shoot Tony, as THERE ARE RULES FOR POLICEMEN. :D

And DRAW ATTENTION to his whereabouts?? Remember, Franco and Fritz where there too.

John was not contacting them by 911; he called them by walktie-talkie.

4. If Officer Powell is a "desk jockey" who was taken off the streets a while back, then why does he still carry a gun and have his own patrol car and respond to incidents?!

5. Why does John think adding more detonators into the same block C4 will cause a bigger explosion? Also, why does John think this is a good idea? Seems to me like he almost wiped out all the hostages and maybe even some police outside.

6. John should realize that firing his machine gun around the hostages would make him appear to be a bad guy from the helicopter's point of view.

BTW, did anybody wonder how much prison time Theo and Kristoff got?
  • 00730073 COPPosts: 977MI6 Agent
    Having read the book; this is actually one of the more faithful film adaptations I have come across. There are only few plot changes from the book: in the book
    1) John McClane is an old (retired) bad ass anti terrorism cop, who got his experience in europe where he was to cross train.
    2) he carried an FN High Power
    3) It's his daughter he's there to meet
    4) Ellis bangs her
    5) They both use drugs
    6)She dies because Rolex makes bad ass bracelets with safety clasps
    7) it's a multinational terrorist team (hence english)
    8) Nobody believes McClane initially because there is no terrorism in the US
    9) Terrorists use Tommy guns (which McClane shot last time during the war) and AK47s (which McClane thinks is the best assault rifle there is)
    10) John McClane is way lesser superman and much more John Q Public in the novel
    11) We first learn his packing heat when he threatens an angry motorist with his gun in order to get to the airport in time...
    Oh! And the glass shards to the bottom of his feet! That's a brilliant piece of writing. It happens, but it's way better than in the movie, so go find the novel, I recommend it!
    Most of the changes were probably made to modernize the plot and make it more appealing to the American audience.
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    0073 wrote:
    Having read the book; this is actually one of the more faithful film adaptations I have come across. There are only few plot changes from the book: in the book
    1) John McClane is an old (retired) bad ass anti terrorism cop.

This is why the original casting for John, the then 73 'ish Frank Sinatra, makes more sense than it may appear at first. Sinatra had to have first refusal on the part since "Die Hard" is technically a sequel to "The Detective" in which he had starred some 20 years previously, and a contract clause gave him that right. He had pretty much retired from movie-making by that point, anyway, and the studio knew it was unlikely he would insist on playing the part... his way.

Of course, if Sinatra had said yes then it's unlikely there would have been a series. Similarly, if he'd said yes to playing Dirty Harry it's unlikely that there would have been that series, too.

It's a movie, and the hero has to ride off in to the
    Sunset. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    This is why the original casting for John, the then 73 'ish Frank Sinatra, makes more sense than it may appear at first. Sinatra had to have first refusal on the part since "Die Hard" is technically a sequel to "The Detective" in which he had starred some 20 years previously, and a contract clause gave him that right. He had pretty much retired from movie-making by that point, anyway, and the studio knew it was unlikely he would insist on playing the part... his way.
    good gawd I did not know any of this
    Frank Sinatra and Bruce Willis playing the same character? Sinatra was supposed to be the one clambering all over the walls and shafts of that skyscraper? I cannot even imagine...

still I'm quite confident Willis could not have sung "I'm a Fool to Want You" (my favourite Sinatra slit-yer-wrists type ballad)
  • Bond fan from OzBond fan from Oz Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    ...and Andreas Wisniewski from THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS. :)

On a side note, after ALL of John's exploits, does anyone here wonder why he isn't MORE of a famous person? :s
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    I'm quite confident Willis could not have sung "I'm a Fool to Want You" (my favourite Sinatra slit-yer-wrists type ballad)

To be fair to Bruce, nobody could sing that one like Sinatra (legend has it that he wrote some of the lyrics while deeply in love with Ava Gardner, which might be true, and that he could only manage one take before running out of the studio overcome by emotion, which probably isn't).
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I just love this:

Its-Not-Christmas-Until-I-See-Hans-Gruber-Fall-From-Nakatomi-Plaza.jpg
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    +1 it's just not Christmas without Die Hard.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    die-hard-christmas-movie.jpg
  • Cam008Cam008 Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    Yippy-ki-ay, muthas !
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    Firemass wrote:

1 he is on heinriks back while he is firing his ak47.
    2 if he shot karl the others would have fired back at Mclane and he wouldnt be able to move back quick enough
    3 its dispatch we shouldnt be surprised
    4 everyone deserves a second chance
    5 Mclane is angry
    6 the hostages reacted to gunfire before so they would again
    7 impossible answer unless he had a swiss army bolt cutter in his back pocket.
    8 they would be questioned later
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill