If someone thinks your lying..

Lodgey89Lodgey89 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
What question techniques do they use.. let’s say you told co-workers you passed your driving test and we know anyone can say they’ve passed their test but clearly if you failed you won’t have a Car because you can’t drive independently without a license. What ways could you sense they don’t believe you?

Comments

• MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:

That whole scene between Walken and Hopper is magnificent!
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    MikeG77 wrote:
    Gymkata wrote:

That whole scene between Walken and Hopper is magnificent!

Indeed it is. But for those who haven't seen the scene, be warned about the language though. Lots of profanity and quite a few racial slurs.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Lodgey89Lodgey89 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Haha reference film clips now.. okay I’ll put it this way, how could you suss out if someone was full of s***. Let’s talk body language/Communication
  • Cam008Cam008 Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    Usually it's in the eyes.
  • JacobJacob DenmarkPosts: 294MI6 Agent
    I recommend reading some academic journal articles about deception detection rather than online magazine articles and so. Many of the often-quoted ways to detect deception have been empirically shown to provide no statistical advantage in telling whether people are lying or not.

You want to establish a baseline before being able to assess if people are telling the truth. If people suddenly deviate from that baseline, verbally or through their body language, it is usually an indication that the subject is bringing up some kind of feeling in them - it is then up to you to interpret whether this is a sign of deception.

I read a very interesting article where test subjects were asked to determine if a person was lying when telling a story. The answers showed no statistical significance one way or the other, so in this test, you may as well have flipped a coin. However, when they were asked to determine whether a person was thinking hard when telling a story (based on the assumption that people think hard when they lie), the subjects were able to much more accurately tell if a person was lying.

TL;DR: Detecting deception is not easy and can never be covered by popular statements like "If a person breaks eye contact, they are lying". :) :) -{