1917 - Mendes and Deakins' Next Collab

JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
When I heard 1917 announced I thought to myself how it's probably just another war film trying to follow in the footsteps of some recent critically acclaimed efforts like War Horse, Hacksaw Ridge, Dunkirk etc and how I might catch it some day in the future when I have a little spare time. Well I think I should have thought a lot higher of what Sam Mendes and Roger Deakins can pull off together.

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this featurette released yesterday but it absolutely blew me away—the work that went into filming this was incredible! This is one I really don't want to miss on the big screen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hSjs2hBa94

0:25-0:49 on that vid is amazing...I would expect a film these days to only have 20 odd actors running infront of the camera and then just adding the 100 more in the background with CGI in post.

Screen-Shot-2019-10-01-at-19-30-51.png

Who knows, the script might be horrendous but it certainly looks like the cinematography will get me though 1917 and allow me to walk out of the cinema satisfied.

Comments

• walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Looking forward to seeing this as well!
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    I wonder how long of a movie this will be? Unless I misunderstood something, this will play out in one continuous shot. With some of this appearing to have night scenes and day scenes this might be a long one to sit through.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Mr Martini wrote:
    I wonder how long of a movie this will be? Unless I misunderstood something, this will play out in one continuous shot. With some of this appearing to have night scenes and day scenes this might be a long one to sit through.

They've already sold me a ticket. WWI has been underexamined, IMHO.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Gotta say looks pretty impressive, will certainly be heading to the cinema for this one.

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!