How many bond films will there be in total?

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,234MI6 Agent
A simple question with potentially complicated answers.

All things will one day end, and when the time comes, how many bond films do you think will be made? (Official ones).

Just curious what people think...
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I think like Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes and Batman. They'll
    Just continue, under different companies, producers etc.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Since Cubby last produced the Bonds, the quantity has been reduced to half. Only 8 films since 1989.
    If the series continues to diminish at that rate it would take another 30 years just to get 4 more films. Then another 30 years to get 2 more, and finally another 30 years just to get one final film. 90 years from now, we'll have 7 more movies to enjoy.
    Sarcasm aside, Eon doesn't seem in a hurry to produce too many more films. I'm just glad we have another film coming out next year.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters

Yeah, who knows what could happen when the copyright on the literary material lapses worldwide? From a legal standpoint is there a way for EON to prevent rival Bond films being made when that happens?

Multiple Bond productions would certainly create a very different landscape for us Bond fans. I'm sure there would be quite a bit of rubbish out there for us to wade through. Possibly some great stuff also...
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    edited November 2019
    ToTheRight wrote:
    Since Cubby last produced the Bonds, the quantity has been reduced to half. Only 8 films since 1989.
    If the series continues to diminish at that rate it would take another 30 years just to get 4 more films. Then another 30 years to get 2 more, and finally another 30 years just to get one final film. 90 years from now, we'll have 7 more movies to enjoy.
    I like your mathematical pattern, its a bit like calculus with the ever diminishing rate of release.
    But once you get to one film every 30 years, that doesn't mean its all over. The diminishing rate could continue, first one film every 60 years then the next film after 120 years, and so on.
    The third film after thatd take 960 years to come out!!!
    There could still be an infinite number of films, but the wait between each film would be approaching infinity too ... how many can they crank out before the universe dissolves into total entropy?

But just imagine that film that finally comes out after a 960 year gap ...
    our few surviving postapocalyptic mutant descendants won't have a clue what was this British Empire the hero is sworn to defend, or what cars were, or maybe even what sex was ... the Broccoli great-great-great-great-great-great-etc-grandkids still producing the series 'd really need to be updating the concept to keep it relevant.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Yeah, who knows what could happen when the copyright on the literary material lapses worldwide? From a legal standpoint is there a way for EON to prevent rival Bond films being made when that happens?

Multiple Bond productions would certainly create a very different landscape for us Bond fans. I'm sure there would be quite a bit of rubbish out there for us to wade through. Possibly some great stuff also...
    I look forward to the day.
    I enjoyed Licence Expired, the Canadian published public domain short story anthology, in concept, and thought one or two of those short stories were better than any official continuation author in decades. Or the Craig films.

We would lose the concept of shared continuity linking all the stories together, but the Craig films have already shattered that.
    of those three Batman is most definitely not public domain, still very much the intellectual property of one of the biggest communications corps in the world (I think its At&T who now owns Warner who owns DC who owns Batman?) ... which come to think of it may be one reason we haven't got a proper new Batman film since the last one Nolan made.