What’s the most self-parodying Bond film title since Fleming’s stopped

opalopal Posts: 21MI6 Agent
What’s the most self-parodying Bond film title since Fleming’s stopped being used?

I think most of those for the Brosnan era were pretty OTT and obviously having fun with Fleming’s style of titling.

The same question could also be asked for the title songs used since Moore stopped playing Bond.

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    I would suggest Die Another Day. In the tradition of LALD, they were trying to create another play on an old phrase with the word die substituted for live. Unfortunately, whereas Live And Let Die is a cool sounding title that flows nicely off the tongue, I’ve always felt that Die Another Day feels awkward as a phrase. And I’ve always disliked how the title is incorporated into the dialogue. Perhaps it’s linked to DAD being my least favourite Bond film, but it is also my least favourite title by some distance.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    I would suggest Die Another Day. In the tradition of LALD, they were trying to create another play on an old phrase with the word die substituted for live. Unfortunately, whereas Live And Let Die is a cool sounding title that flows nicely off the tongue, I’ve always felt that Die Another Day feels awkward as a phrase. And I’ve always disliked how the title is incorporated into the dialogue. Perhaps it’s linked to DAD being my least favourite Bond film, but it is also my least favourite title by some distance.

I completely agree. I'd rank it worst in this category along with Tomorrow Never Dies and No Time to Die. If the meaning of the title matters to the story, we can't judge No Time to Die yet.

Licence to Kill, GoldenEye, The World Is Not Enough, Skyfall and Spectre are not as self-parodying, though Spectre is the worst title of the series IMO.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    With the non fans I've spoken, they find it ridiculous a movie could be called "Licence to Kill" in regards to Bond.
    It is unimaginative, I'll give them that but I kind of like it.

Better fitting for the end of an era than "No Time To Die".
    a reasonable rate of return
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    Golrush007 wrote:

I completely agree. I'd rank it worst in this category along with Tomorrow Never Dies and No Time to Die. If the meaning of the title matters to the story, we can't judge No Time to Die yet.

Licence to Kill, GoldenEye, The World Is Not Enough, Skyfall and Spectre are not as self-parodying, though Spectre is the worst title of the series IMO.

Titles have been drenched in self Parody since Flemming. Die Another Day is probably the worst but NTTD is a real Turkey.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.