Coronavirus

Comments

• 00730073 COPPosts: 872MI6 Agent
    edited June 2020
    Higgins wrote:
    I have heard today, that Finland belongs to Russia.

I have slept long tonight, but have I been missing out on something?

:)) :)) :)) That's what Stalin thought!

What is true though, is that this weekend it's Midsummer celebrations here in Nordics. In Finland weather is supposedly superb this weekend, so people should feel comfortable staying out doors where the virus has lesser impact.

Also 9000 conscripts were released to reserves today, so party all around Finland!

Here is link to traditional (nowadays) Midsummer Bingo on Varustelekas web page! Good luck!!

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/page/midsummer-bingo/24765
    "I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 18,950MI6 Agent
    In Norway we celebrate midsummer by lighting bonfires. Some do it better than others! (the yearly Slinning bonfire near Ålesund)

maxresdefault.jpg

reise-vinner+han+tur+til+australia.jpg?o=3145332&w=940&h=0&ee=1247666303
    To return (somewhat) to topic, here are two videos from the excellent TimeGhost History channel about pandemics in a historic context.

About lockdowns used against the Black Death :

Pandemics Economically Worse than War: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odufcENQaJw
    Number24 wrote:
    In Norway we celebrate midsummer by lighting bonfires. Some do it better than others! (the yearly Slinning bonfire near Ålesund)

Nice! We do those also, except this year because of the danger of forest fires. (Yeah right....) 8-)

Edit: Well of course, not as big as that!
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    The bonfire has been buildt for decades by local youth, and a few years the Slinning bonfire got in the Guinnes Book of Reccords as the world's highest bonfire!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,514MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Iceland, Norway, Denmark and Germany open up their border for tourism between the countries. The Swedes are surprised and offended because they are left out. Why, indeed? :))

I take it Sweden are the bad boys of Scandinavia :)) :))
    Number24 wrote:

maxresdefault.jpg

Looks like something from 'The Wicker Man' :o
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Iceland, Norway, Denmark and Germany open up their border for tourism between the countries. The Swedes are surprised and offended because they are left out. Why, indeed? :))

I take it Sweden are the bad boys of Scandinavia :)) :))

Well, at least they have handled the pandemic badly :v
    Pierce Brosnan said in an interview for Parade that he's lost two old friends to Covid-19. :#
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,596MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

maxresdefault.jpg

I love the subject of virgin sacrifice!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 4,258MI6 Agent
    With the German R rate going up to 2.79, have they reopened everything too soon? Up to now they have handled things very well, this may be a warning to those countries who think this pandemic has fizzled out.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    superado wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

maxresdefault.jpg

Unfortunally wooden pallets and virgins are getting harder to find by the year. :#
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,477MI6 Agent
    With the German R rate going up to 2.79, have they reopened everything too soon? Up to now they have handled things very well, this may be a warning to those countries who think this pandemic has fizzled out.

The high R number

- is based on a very low number in total, so a few new infections raise that factor very much
    - we had an outbreak of over 1000 Infected workers in a meat processing site and over 7000 people in total are under police enforced quarantene to avoid that workers are running away.

That appears to be a unique event and authorities are trying to limit the outbreak with those measures so in total, the infections besides this is still low.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Number24 wrote:
    superado wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

Unfortunally wooden pallets and virgins are getting harder to find by the year. :#

I am curious:

In Germany, it is required by law that the wood stack is entirely redone from scratch at the morning of the event.
    This is done to make sure that wildlife* that seek shelter into those constructions over night are not burned alive.

* hedgehogs, rabbits, deer etc.

How are Norwegians dealing with that?

edited June 2020
    Higgins wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    superado wrote:

I am curious:

In Germany, it is required by law that the wood stack is entirely redone from scratch at the morning of the event.
    This is done to make sure that wildlife* that seek shelter into those constructions over night are not burned alive.

* hedgehogs, rabbits, deer etc.

How are Norwegians dealing with that?

We don't really care. If the animals don't get out by the time the bonfire is burning they've failed the "survival of the fittest" test, haven't they? An animal that stays in a burning bonfire wouldn't survive a forrest fire.
    Well, you may know that not all animals run away from fire.

Insofar and I am sorry for this, I find the norwegian bonfires despicable, I could not enjoy them for the reasons stated above.

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 4,258MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

The high R number

- is based on a very low number in total, so a few new infections raise that factor very much
    - we had an outbreak of over 1000 Infected workers in a meat processing site and over 7000 people in total are under police enforced quarantene to avoid that workers are running away.

That appears to be a unique event and authorities are trying to limit the outbreak with those measures so in total, the infections besides this is still low.

This seems to be an effective and firm response. The last thing the world needs is a virulent second wave sweeping us back to square one.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Most of the workers there are from Romania and other Eastern Europe countries.
    The last thing anybody wants that the quaranteened workers are trying to travel back home and leave a trail of infections on their route.

The entire population in the region will be tested in the coming days.

Higgins wrote:

Insofar and I am sorry for this, I find the Norwegian bonfires despicable, I could not enjoy them for the reasons stated above.

I'm assuming you're not talking about the Slinning bonfire because that one takes many weeks to build. Yes, not all animals run away from fire. But dismanteling a bonfire just to save an animal seems like taking animal welfare a step to far. Like all the disaster movies where thousands of people die - but the survivors risk their lives to save one dog. You know, so the movie can have a happy ending.
    edited June 2020
    Sorry, I disagree.
    If even one hedgehog or rabbit dies because of that it‘s not worth it and I couldn‘t get the thought out of my head that while I am drinking a beer and watch the Slinning bonfire while animals die inside.

I wouldn‘t enjoy it.

That's okay. We don't have to agree on everything :)
    Higgins wrote:

Insofar and I am sorry for this, I find the norwegian bonfires despicable, I could not enjoy them for the reasons stated above.

In that case, I'm sorry to say you wouldn't enjoy bonfires in Finland either.

We sometimes start building the bonfires in the previous fall.

That said, I have never heard of anyone being concerned about animals sheltering in the bonfires, nor have I ever witnessed animals scurrying away from the stack of wooden what-nots when approached and/or set fire. Quick google search in Finnish revealed only one fb post by a one local animal welfare association, that advised people to check/make sure, that there are no birds nests in the stack. In SF law expressly prohibits harming nesting birds/bird nests, but that has nothing to do with bonfires.

We tend to be more worried over some jokester/arsonist burning the bonfire ahead of time...
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    Speaking of laws that seem strange to me: I've heard burning wood in stoves is illegal in the Netherlands. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    I assume (if the story is true) the law is there to limit smog, since the Netherlands is a small and pretty urbanized country, so it makes sense to me. It's just very excotic.
    Number24 wrote:
    Speaking of laws that seem strange to me: I've heard burning wood in stoves is illegal in the Netherlands. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
    I assume (if the story is true) the law is there to limit smog, since the Netherlands is a small and pretty urbanized country, so it makes sense to me. It's just very excotic.

The Rampant Environmentalists try to get similar law passed in Finland from time to time. They present these pseudo scientific research results about how many people die yearly on complications caused by burning wood in sauna stoves and fireplaces. The University of Eastern Finland is developing a voluntary certificate for sauna stove manufacturers that minimize the fine particle release from their stoves.
    -Mr Arlington Beech
    I've never heard of anyone trying to pass that sort of laws in Norway, but in densely populated countries with a temperate climate it sounds reasonable to me. In countries with cold winters I think people should have stoves. If the power supply is cut off somehow it's vital to have your own heat sourse. Some years ago we didn't have electricity for five days from the 25. to the 30. December. Being able to maintain a warm house and warming food for dinner was important.
    Dr. Fauci and the head of the CDC have testified, that it‘s 2 1/2 weeks that they spoke to Trump.
    Seems that there are more important things than a pandemic with 120.000 deaths so far

Higgins wrote:
    Dr. Fauci and the head of the CDC have testified, that it‘s 2 1/2 weeks that they spoke to Trump.
    Seems that there are more important things than a pandemic with 120.000 deaths so far

Like showing people he can drink a glass of water with one hand ..... :v
    Higgins wrote:

The high R number

Just wanted to update that testing of the population outside of the site brought 9 confirmed Corona cases from 4100 tests in the last couple of days.
    So it seems that the outbreak is pretty much limited to the site and is pretty well under control outside.

Trump has finally found a good replacment for doctor Fauchi :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybBHQW0X7g&list=PLwCiRao53J1yH9le2s6XUGbHW6fxxUIrT&index=6
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,726MI6 Agent
    I have a question about all this....

Where I am, I went out to get my new watch today, and as is the norm, I put on my face mask.
    I do every time I go out. But, I am seeing worryingly few people doing the same!
    Maybe I have mis understood, but I thought if you are out, You maximise social distancing, and
    wear a face covering.

What is happening where everyone else is?
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
This discussion has been closed.