Coronavirus

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 19,632MI6 Agent
    On the other hand over 50% is normally considered sufficient for a vaccine.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,595MI6 Agent
    If you have a choice for a facemask with 95% efficacy or 65% efficacy while 50% is considered being sufficient - which one would you buy? :v
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Obviously a vaccine that's more than 95% is much better.
    Matthew Chance, CNNs Senior International Correspondent for and in Russia and certainly one of the Putin largest Critics, has received a Sputnik V vaccination on camera.

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,585MI6 Agent

New real-world data on the AZ vacc has led to a positive reevaluation of its efficacy including for older age groups, recognised now by EU countries. Good news.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 50 years.

based on new data, the German Vaccination Commitee (STIKO) recommends AZ also for people over 65.

Nothing Anti-UK here as always.

The governor of Texas has ended all Corona restrictions in the state. I hope it won't end the way it probably will.....

Today six police officers were injured in Stockholm, Sweden, during a demonstrations against corona restrictions. Sweden started serious restrictions about ten months after the rest of Europe, so..... cry-babies!

I'm not running a anti-Swedish campaign here. There are lots of aspects of Swedish society I admire. It's a very successfull country in most ways. But the country has handled corona really badly and some at risk groups have paid a very high price for the official corona strategy, thousands have pid the ultimate price. It's up setting to see a country that had a better chance than most to handle the pandemic well fail so tragically, and even worse - not admiting this is what's happening.

I wonder what's the more extreme anti-vaccinations crowd's take on the AZ issues?

If all the vaccines are dangerous and the pharma companies, doctor, nurses and health authorities are in on it, why is this happening?

If this is true, why is a very low number of serious after-effects out of millions lead to paused vaccinations and more checking of the AZ vaccines are all meant to be dangerous? 🤔 😂

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,578Chief of Staff

It does seem very strange that both Ireland and the Netherlands have suspended use of this drug because of 37 cases of blood clotting out of over 17 million doses given...which is far less than would be expected during ‘normal times’ in the general population 🤔

YNWA 97
    edited March 2021

Not only Ireland - Sweden, Norway, Denmark and an hour ago Germany.

I wonder, if it‘s a precaution ( which then apparently is premature, see Sir Mile‘s numbers above) or if they fear of dropping public confidence or if something else is going on behind the lines.

There have been reports of severe temporary reactions which has been explained with the younger age of patients and stronger immune systems - I am surprised that Germany has suspended AZ today necause all those explanations made sense and where well communicated.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 33,060Chief of Staff

I'm due for mine on Wed 24th. Am currently wondering if Scotland will "pause" vaccinations before then.

I do find it very strange that these countries have suspended its use given the numbers involved 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m sure I read that Norway was the first country to raise ‘concerns’...but I’m not exactly sure as to their reasons…

WHO are recommending to continue using the AZ vaccine as there just isn’t enough of a reason not too...

YNWA 97

I had my first one last Saturday and I had a couple of hours of being hot and cold during the night - I should have taken two paracetamol before bedtime but as I felt fine I decided not to bother 🙄

I can’t see the UK ‘pausing’ the use of AZ as we have loads we need to use up 👀

YNWA 97
    edited March 2021

Good to hearing that Scotland has now moved to vaccinating people over 80 🤣🤣

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,514MI6 Agent

The EMA are also saying the AZ vaccine should still be used. It's bizarre.

Do you know what causes more blood clots than the AZ vaccine? Coronavirus 😉

edited March 2021

We have around 50 cases of those brain bloodclots /year in Germany .

We are using AZ since some weeks and have around 10 cases that can be directly connected to AZ vaccinations.

The Ministry of Health has ordered to stop the vaccinations on that basis though scientists point out that the fatalities without vaccinations are higher.

A difficult choice to make for politicians. just imagine what would be reported in the press if it would not be stopped knowing that those cases are directly connected to AZ vaccinations.

Germany is not alone in that decision - though other opinions exists and are valid.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 33,060Chief of Staff

Yes, my great-grandchildren will be pushing my wheelchair there if my ageing body lasts that long.

I think Norway paused the AZ vaccinations after four out of more than 100 000 vaccinated. While Norway's corona strategy has worked well, the vaccinations are going slowly. My father is 83 and he gets his first jab on Thursday.

The first sentence i the post above should continue".... May have caused serious side-effects".

One health worker died after getting an AZ vaccination. One doesn't know if the vaccine is to blame, but the woman seemed healthy before the vaccination.

I just read there are thirty known cases of serious possible side-effects after five million AZ vaccinations in Europe.

edited March 2021

There have been over 17 million AZ/Oxford and only 37 reported ‘incidents’ - that’s 15 DVT and 22 of pulmonary embolism - so far…which is below what would/could be said to happen normally.

YNWA 97

Your numbers are probably the correct ones.

It’s terrible that Germany have had 10 cases of blood clots...BUT I’m extremely sceptical that they can be directly connected to AZ vaccinations - which medical body proved it?

YNWA 97
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,266MI6 Agent

The Higgins Medical Academy of Moronic Doings.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

There isn't a vaccine or medicine available that will 100% effect free for everyone. There will always be someone out there who will have an adverse reaction.

Every day stuff like paracetamol, penicillin and aspirin can all have adverse reactions in some people. My hubby can't take aspirin. He has a severe allergic reaction to it.The problem is, the only way you find out is if you take it.

You have to think of the sheer number and volume of people who have had the AZ vaccine without any side effects. There are literally millions.

WHO and EMA are both saying the AZ should be given as there will be more deaths from coronavirus than the vaccine (not that there's any actual evidence to suggest the vaccine is responsible).

You're more likely to get a blood clot from the virus than you are from from the vaccine and seeing as Europe is heading for a third wave and more lockdowns maybe they should give people the option as to whether they will have it or not.

I agree with you, Lady Rose. But I think it's right to pause the AZ vaccines to check if the vaccine is the cause. This is especially important because vaccines, and corona vaccines in particular, are being questioned by worrying ly many. There are fortunately a number of other vaccines that can be used in the meantime.

Karl Lauterbach came out with that yesterday and I trust him.

However he said, that he recommends to continue using AZ because the positives are outweighting those sideeffects by several miles.

Those blood clots are so far unknown sideeffects - they have not been mentioned in the studies so I understand some decisionmakers wanting to stop temporarily until this is property investigated.

The interesting thing about this is that the Pfizer vaccine has had similar numbers in terms of blood clots as the AZ one.

Pfizer have reported 25 cases of blood clotting in 11 million administered doses and AZ reported 28 cases in 10 million doses.

So why have the EU suspended AZ and not Pfizer? It's things like that that make me think these decisions can't be anything but political point scoring.

NB ... numbers may vary slightly depending on the report you read but that's the percentages we are talking about here.

Has there been any deaths linked to the Pfizer vaccines?

This discussion has been closed.