Will November still be the release month?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,709MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    I'm sure they can afford an A-list actor this time, but I don't think they should. Bond should be the star. The actor can and should become a star, but it should be Bond that makes him a star.

I think you’re describing what has happened on a few instances in the past rather than an iron-bound rule. It was true of Connery and Craig obviously. Brosnan, too, I guess. I don’t know how high Moore’s profile was already between Maverick and The Saint. And Bond didn’t make Lazenby and Dalton into superstars. Who’s to say an established star couldn’t walk into the role and fully inhabit it?

No, Bond didn't turn a couple of them into movie stars. I guess Lazenby quit too early and Dalton didn't really want to be one.
    But none of them were movie stars when they were cast. Brosnan and Moore were big TV stars, Moore was eprhaps the world's biggest TV star at the time, but not one of them were movie stars. That distinction was probably more important in the past, but now Nicole Kidman and Matthew McConaughey are doing TV.
    Not hiring a movie star isn't an iron-bound rule I think, but we don't want Bond26 to be mentioed as "the new Chris Hemsworth movie", do we?
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Not hiring a movie star isn't an iron-bound rule I think, but we don't want Bond26 to be mentioed as "the new Chris Hemsworth movie", do we?

Certainly not, more like „the new Henry Cavill movie“... :007)
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    Number24 wrote:

Certainly not, more like „the new Henry Cavill movie“... :007)

In both cases the point remains the same
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    Personally I think Hemsworth would make an excellent Bond and I’m not averse to Cavill.

In both cases the initial spin would be that a famous actor was playing Bond. But after the first film came out (assuming that he signed for a multi pic deal), the actor would find himself redefined by the role as much as any unknown actor. It’s only stunt casting when actors cycle through the role as they did in the early Batman movies.

My point is that insisting that the next actor to play Bond not be widely known beforehand seems more like a personal preference. I understand the feeling and would also be excited to see Babs pull another rabbit out of her hat. But ultimately I want the best actor in the role, even if they’re already a star.
    I think we're both talking about personal preferances. I think both Cavill and Hemsworth have thepotential to play Bond well, but I think both have too much baggage from other roles. I think it's not to much to ask from EON for them to "pull the rabbit out of the hat since they did so on Connery, Lazenby and Craig.
    It's a discussion forum so, of course, it's all personal preference. ;)

I'm just saying that, for the next Bond, my preference is for Babs to keep an open mind.

Returning to the thread at hand, I would love to know what's happening with EON during this limbo period. Is it all waiting for NTTD to premiere or is there any planning beyond that?
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Hemsworth and Cavill are the safest bets in terms of box-office and arguably the most handsome of all contenders. They would be a safe and easy choice for the producers, but at the end of the day if it's a good film and ticks all the boxes, a younger more left field choice would still work. DC worked in CR even though he wasn't the typical, obvious choice.

(Appreciate we have stepped over into Next Bond Actor thread here).
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    if they get Chris Hemsworth to play James Bond,
    then they can cast Tom Hiddleston as his Evil half-brother Blofeld!
    if they get Chris Hemsworth to play James Bond,
    then they can cast Tom Hiddleston as his Evil half-brother Blofeld!

-{ -{ -{
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,325MI6 Agent
    Eon won't pay a movie star to play Bond. If their Bond becomes a movie star, that's another story.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:
    It doesn't necessarily translate into anything meaningful onscreen.  Look at SPECTRE, which was one of the most expensive Bond films.  The villain's lair turned out to be be a mostly-CGI oil refinery populated by a few dozen extras we hardly saw.  It wasn't the volcano with a cast of hundreds and a real helipad. It's amazing how much they spent on the movie and how long it took to make it, yet so many scenes are virtually empty of people and action.

You absolutely nailed the problem with SPECTRE. Almost none of that money made it onto the screen. Meanwhile, some of the scenes I liked best (e.g, the train fight) had to have been among the least expensive to make.
    I've noticed this in just about every movie Mendes makes. He likes to do the opposite of everyone else, that is, he starts big and then gets smaller and smaller until the end. He loves a lot of the same shots, such as a lone person traveling along some kind of pathway.

SPECTRE often feels like a TV show with a low budget that tries to maximize the situation by using big, empty spaces. The Avengers and Jerry Anderson's UFO used to do that, for instance, but the difference was these show were brilliant at turning all that into part of the weirdness of their stories. SPECTRE lacks the self awareness to realize it doesn't work. These are literally just big empty spaces.

But Mendes burns up money like he's printing it, and the results are underwhelming, and I would include Skyfall in that assessment, too. But at least that movie raided The Dark Knight and Straw Dogs enough to cover some of it up.

SPECTRE should have pulled out all the stops. We should have gotten a volcano twice as big and with twice as much action. Instead, hardly anything happened. It has all the spectacle of a TV dinner.

I'm glad Mendes doesn't have anything to do with Bond anymore, though NTTD has a lot of visual cues that look he could have been the director.
    It seems unlikely there will be a vaccine in 2020. Unless they find a medicine or the infection is contained enough in the most important territiories in time I don't see how NTTD will be release in November.
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    It seems unlikely there will be a vaccine in 2020. Unless they find a medicine or the infection is contained enough in the most important territiories in time I don't see how NTTD will be release in November.

Maybe pushed back to an Easter 2021 date?
    edited May 2020
    I suspect so. But let's hope they find a medicine this summer and the Movie can be released in november, and not just for the sake of NTTD :v
    Number24 wrote:
    I suspect so. But let's hope they find a medicine this summer and the Movie can be released in november, and not just for the sake of NTTD :v

That would be a great thing for the whole world wouldn't it?.......... :)
    Yes, there would be some positive side effects for the world in general :D
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    So Chinese cinemas have been gradually re-opened, Australian cinemas are re-opening this month and US cinemas are looking to do the same. Not sure about UK or the EU. Christopher Nolan's big-budget Tenet is sticking with its July 17 release date; Mulan with its July 24 date; and Wonder Woman 1984 with its August 14 date. November is still a long way off (half a year)...think of where the world was 6 months ago (it was actually relatively normal!). I don't think we need to worry about not seeing NTTD at the cinemas this year.
    I think UK, EU, US and Chinese cinemas being open at the time of release is a miniumum requrement. That's some way of yet.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    This weekend's Parade magazine (for those outside North America or who don't subscribe to that dying industry of newspapers, it's the Sunday paper insert) had a cover story on the late summer releases of such big movies as Wonder Woman 84. I think if the studios and theaters plan to be back in business by August, there's no reason to believe NTTD will be pushed back further. Well, no reason than another viral outbreak.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,420Chief of Staff
    Hardyboy wrote:
    This weekend's Parade magazine (for those outside North America or who don't subscribe to that dying industry of newspapers, it's the Sunday paper insert)…

I’m SO glad you added that - Parade was a very different magazine in the UK :o

Errr...so I’m told ;%
    YNWA 97
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:
    This weekend's Parade magazine (for those outside North America or who don't subscribe to that dying industry of newspapers, it's the Sunday paper insert)…

I’m SO glad you added that - Parade was a very different magazine in the UK :o

Errr...so I’m told ;%

Apparently it was a magazine for the discerning gentleman who wanted to keep abreast of the latest developments
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    I think if the studios and theaters plan to be back in business by August, there's no reason to believe NTTD will be pushed back further. Well, no reason than another viral outbreak.

The latter will be something to await, yet seriously consider... Societies are starting to open up again, slowly but steadily. However, the virus seems to back down / go silent due to rising temperatures and dryer air, brought on by summer.
    If this changes during fall, the virus might be back, big time...

EON will have to anticipate on this.
  • StormsComingStormsComing UKPosts: 18MI6 Agent
    I certainly hope so, but I think most social environments will be very different for some time yet. I think with the very long wait, I will treat me and the other half to a visit to an IMAX to watch it :D
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent
    USA Today just released this article: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/wonder-woman-1984-shifts-fall-235502425.html

It looks like No Time To Die will be releasing sooner in the US than what was planned before. The premier for the UK remains unchanged.
  • Sriram858Sriram858 Posts: 182MI6 Agent
    With cases surging in North America I do not see the movie coming out this year.

Either they are going to have to wait until there is a vaccine and the dust settles with COVID or release via Online Channels charging a premium...the thing is also that this is not their fault...no one saw this coming.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent
    Sriram858 wrote:
    With cases surging in North America I do not see the movie coming out this year.

Either they are going to have to wait until there is a vaccine and the dust settles with COVID or release via Online Channels charging a premium...the thing is also that this is not their fault...no one saw this coming.

Agreed. It will be a long time before we’re out of rolling lockdowns. You can’t release a blockbuster in that climate. They need to accept it and stream the film or it could be a couple of years before we see it.
    Sriram858 wrote:

Agreed. It will be a long time before we’re out of rolling lockdowns. You can’t release a blockbuster in that climate. They need to accept it and stream the film or it could be a couple of years before we see it.

If NTTD ends up streaming.....I'll need to buy a bigger TV. James Bond will need at least a 65" set. :))
  • SpectreOfDefeatSpectreOfDefeat Posts: 404MI6 Agent
    Will November be the release month? Its still too early to say. There are advantages and disadvantages to releasing in November vs pushing back into 2021. To be honest, I think that if Eon are forced to pull the film back again to mid or late 2021, they will consider simply releasing NTTD in November 2022 and repackaging it as a 60th anniversary celebration. This might be an effective way to rebuild public hype and interest, as well as ensuring a very long gap to allow this current situation to get better. What do others think?

"The spectre of defeat..."

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Will November be the release month? Its still too early to say. There are advantages and disadvantages to releasing in November vs pushing back into 2021. To be honest, I think that if Eon are forced to pull the film back again to mid or late 2021, they will consider simply releasing NTTD in November 2022 and repackaging it as a 60th anniversary celebration. This might be an effective way to rebuild public hype and interest, as well as ensuring a very long gap to allow this current situation to get better. What do others think?

I'm sure there are large debts to be paid, which is probably why they won't wait until 2022 to release it, despite the benefits you mention.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Sriram858 wrote:

"North America" isn't quite accurate. Canada has its COVID19 problem almost under control with about 300 cases per day and fifteen deaths per day and a declining positivity rate. It will probably be in the low single digits in deaths/day by November.

It's the US which has the problem with about 50,000 cases per day, 600 deaths per day and a rising positivity rate.