Would Skyfall had been the perfect last film for Brosnan?

2»

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    both films have an opening act loosely inspired by Flemings Man with the Golden Gun, so thatd be an easy swap.

SkyFall and the World Is Not Enough both heavily feature M in peril plots, so that might be repetitive. Or might be a natural evolution of her character arc if they play it right.

a huge chunk of SkyFall is the introduction of a new Moneypenny, so thatd have to be changed. Though Naomi Harris is definitely an upgrade from the scolding bigsister Moneypenny of the Brosnan era, narratively it just wouldnt work, because unlike Q or M, Moneypenny is not a code name.
    On the plus side, we just change the name of Harris' character, and Bond can get her in a clinch at the end, same as normal.

We just met John Cleese as R in tWiNE, but maybe instead of R getting promoted, they give the job to this kid from the IT department instead. Brosnan's attempts to trade witticisms with John Cleese were painful anyway, those scenes could easily go.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,699MI6 Agent
    They could remove the scene were Eve presents herself as Moneypenny and give the scenes were Eve works in the office for M to Samantha Bond. Easy.
  • SeanIsTheOnlyOneSeanIsTheOnlyOne Posts: 402MI6 Agent
    edited April 2020
    both films have an opening act loosely inspired by Flemings Man with the Golden Gun, so thatd be an easy swap.

SkyFall and the World Is Not Enough both heavily feature M in peril plots, so that might be repetitive. Or might be a natural evolution of her character arc if they play it right.

a huge chunk of SkyFall is the introduction of a new Moneypenny, so thatd have to be changed. Though Naomi Harris is definitely an upgrade from the scolding bigsister Moneypenny of the Brosnan era, narratively it just wouldnt work, because unlike Q or M, Moneypenny is not a code name.
    On the plus side, we just change the name of Harris' character, and Bond can get her in a clinch at the end, same as normal.

We just met John Cleese as R in tWiNE, but maybe instead of R getting promoted, they give the job to this kid from the IT department instead. Brosnan's attempts to trade witticisms with John Cleese were painful anyway, those scenes could easily go.

You didn’t get my point. Of course the characters of M, Moneypenny and Q shouldn’t have changed or been reintroduced like in SF because of the continuity towards TWINE. Otherwise it would have been irrelevant. And bringing back Q and Moneypenny is not the real interest of the movie IMO, it’s nothing more than well done fan service. The character of Naomie Harris could have been used in DAD. It would have been great if Jinx was actually that one.

By « script » I meant the global plot. The beginning of DAD is very interesting because it shows Bond in a similar situation as in SF.

After Bond is traded for Zao, M doesn’t trust him anymore and he also starts to have doubts about her loyalty to him. He feels alone against MI6 and he decides to investigate on his own as some kind of rogue agent like in LTK to find out the identity of the traitor within MI6. His failure during the mission in Noth Korea and his captivity were supposed to show Bond is not a Superman who always succeeds in what he does, which is exactly what Brosnan wanted and what they did later with SF. Unfortunately, from the first scene featuring Gustave Graves, we can see the movie doesn’t follow the concept and we get instead of that a ridiculous plot reminding Blofeld’s one in DAF.

DAD could have been great if they remained faithful to the concept of making Bond have doubts during the whole movie and perhaps Brosnan would have done another one after that...

That was my point.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,906MI6 Agent
    I didn't see your point when you originally made it, my own post was a coincidence.

But thank you for expanding on your point, you are correct DAD had a lot of potential that was squandered. And SkyFall explored similar ideas, but was more committed to following through.
    in some ways SkyFall is like DAD done right.

how do we feel about having two M-in-peril plots in a row?
    DAD didn't have to have M in perill, did it?
    SkyFall would replace DAD and therefor be the followup to tWiNE...

unless you were suggesting SkyFall be Brosnans fifth film?
    then we would have two Bond returns plots in a row, which would actually be more similar.
    Personally I'd prefer it if Skyfall replaced DAD, but the most recent discussion was about having Brosnan do both.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Yes please, and the ones in between as well.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    I thought that SF was an attempt to remake TWINE so I can't see how the first would follow the other in Brosnan's tenure - too similar. Both were M-centric and about her past sins catching up with her, both fairly London centric - the Thames boat chase, the Tube thing, okay not that similar but same melancholic vibe and colour scheme.
    The whole let's go back to my place finale - can't see that in Brosnan's output. 'What, all the way to bloody Ireland?'
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017