AJB live commentary on TLD

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,292Chief of Staff
    Nice gifs!

I'm not commenting on Kamen's work outside LTK, rather I'm commenting on the score for that Bond film as compared to other Bond films. And by that standard, it comes near the bottom. Not the absolute bottom, of course- there are at least 2 scores worse than LTK.

For clarity, I'm not talking about the title songs but the orchestral scores.

Edit- make that 3.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,789MI6 Agent
    I don't see any link between Gymkata's fine GIFs and the guy doing that thing with his mouth. Oh wait, all are GIFs ….
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Nice gifs!

I'm not commenting on Kamen's work outside LTK, rather I'm commenting on the score for that Bond film as compared to other Bond films. And by that standard, it comes near the bottom. Not the absolute bottom, of course- there are at least 2 scores worse than LTK.

Edit- make that 3.

Yes, but that's exactly my point.
    In a Bond context and now 30 years later, this may be the case.

But Kamen in 1989 was highly successful, highly accepted and his score was a mainstream job and more than solid back then.
    So his score was not one of the main factors, why LTK was not successful 30 years ago.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I don't count the LTK score among my favourites, but it's though and bombastic and fits the movie. I like at least most of Barry's scores better than LTK, but I'm not sure Barry would have made a better score for LTK. :o
    Higgins wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Nice gifs!

Edit- make that 3.

But Kamen in 1989 was highly successful, highly accepted and his score was a mainstream job and more than solid back then.
    So his score was not one of the main factors, why LTK was not successful 30 years ago.

I didn't say it was, Higgins.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Higgins wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Nice gifs!

Edit- make that 3.

He doesn’t actually read and take in what people say. He reads and Then makes up what you’ve said. Surely you’ve learned that by now.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Gymkata wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Nice gifs!

Edit- make that 3.

I agree that Kamen's score for LTK is unremarkable. Not everything's a winner.

Offhand, some scores that I can think of that are worse:
    - GOLDENEYE: That Eric Serra score is horrid. The music surrounding the Bond/Xenia car chase in the beginning is particularly egregious.
    - FOR YOUR EYES ONLY: The Bill Conti score doesn't work for me. The Hamisch 'disco Bond' score in TSWLM worked fine and still felt like 'Bond', but this Conti score didn't. It was distracting but didn't kill the film.

Thanks, Gymkata. Make that 4 worse than LTK.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Barbel wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

He doesn’t actually read and take in what people say. He reads and Then makes up what you’ve said. Surely you’ve learned that by now.

Yes, of course. You're right. :#
    Play nice, kids :)
    We're here to have fun watching Bond together, remember?
    Barbel, as this is „my“ thread, how can I kick Asp9mm from it?

You can’t. Suck on that.
    edited April 2020
    Why don't both of you agree not to post things like that in the future so we can continue having fun? These threads have been a wonderful way to pass the time while Corona is going on (Thanks, Higgins) and I don't want to see it get tainted with conflict.

tenor.gif?itemid=9048196
    Higgins- No, you can't.

Gymkata- NSNA and SP
    Good idea!
    Barbel wrote:
    Higgins- No, you can't.

Would you?
    I say please and promise to pay the beer bill on the next meetup in Berlin :x

No way!
    Ok,you pay the bill then :D

1 hour to get your disks and players ready

As reference time, please use

https://greenwichmeantime.com/

Yes, get your balloons ready as well 8-)

Higgins wrote:
    Yes, get your balloons ready as well 8-)

I can't, you're in Hamburg.
    Number24 wrote:
    Why don't both of you agree not to post things like that in the future so we can continue having fun? These threads have been a wonderful way to pass the time while Corona is going on (Thanks, Higgins) and I don't want to see it get tainted with conflict.

tenor.gif?itemid=9048196

It’s Higgins. Conflict is his middle name. Along with Moron and a few other things I can’t say on here.

The day we agree on something will be the day the world ends. Or worse.
    :)) :)) :))
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

tenor.gif?itemid=9048196

It’s Higgins. Conflict is his middle name. Along with Moron and a few other things I can’t say on here.

The day we agree on something will be the day the world ends. Or worse.

Apparently it's not only Higgins ….
    But let's focus on TLD and all things Bond now.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,557Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:
    The score is poor, too.

Did you ever hear Eric Clapton’s theme for LTK?
    YNWA 97
    Nope! Vic Flick worked on that, I believe.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,557Chief of Staff
    Barbel wrote:
    Nope! Vic Flick worked on that, I believe.

Did he? All I can find out is that Kamen worked on it with Clapton and then it got locked up in Eon’s vaults - apparently :#
    YNWA 97
    Don't know re Sanborn.
    19:00 GMT

Get your disks and players ready.
    Set everything up and pause before the gunbarrel

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,966MI6 Agent
    Will press play on time but won't be joining in straight away as dealing with something.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Made it! Seems like we’ve had a full discussion before the film’s even started though :))