AJB live commentary on THUNDERBALL

1789101113»

Comments

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    On what's next, there are two Moore John Glen movies left. Maybe use up one of them on the next choice? Though TMWTGG would be good fun too.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    Well, Friday nights I can do. Please keep Me in the loop.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff
    Of course we will!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    The bigger question is: when are we doing NSNA?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    When we've run out of real Bond films?
    edited May 2020
    It was a lot of fun for me last night.

I must say, that Paluzzi‘s performance really impressed me.
    She is the alphamale in that movie! What a woman!

I have enjoyed the underwater scenes more than on previous runs and I have very much enjoyed Connery walking around.

I did mention it yesterday, Connery looks pale and ill in the first half hours before we go to the Bahamas.

Mollie Peters looked absolutely stunning and Claudine Auger remains my favorite Bondgirl of all times.

I am watching these on a 85‘ TV with a decent Soundsystem and TB definitely benefits from larger screens and good sound.

Thanks for joining us and am looking forward to Friday!

Barbel wrote:
    When we've run out of real Bond films?

I disagree. We should put NSNA in the line so that we can compare it better when it‘s embedded.
    If it was only my decision, I‘d put NSNA on Friday

Well, your call. I'll watch whichever film is picked!
    What do you think about my line of thoughts re. NSNA?

Reasonable enough, we have to watch it sometime so the order isn't critical.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited May 2020
    I'd be up for NSNA. When it was first in the cinema I saw it within a day or two of TB being broadcast on TV. That was the only time I've seen them 'back-to-back', as it were, so doing that again now would be good (following on from yesterday's viewing of TB). Does everybody even have a copy though?
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
    Good question. Ok, if anyone does NOT have a copy of NSNA would they post that fact here please?
    edited May 2020
    Yes, very good question.

Just digged deep and found a DVD

Ok, seems that we are ready to have AVTAK on Friday Night {[]

• ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    Ok, seems that we are ready to have AVTAK on Friday Night {[]

AVTAK again? 8-)
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    Ah, sorry NSNA....

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Word of Don Black himself in 2014-

"I was thinking about Bond, thinking "He always runs while others walk". In my mind it was about James Bond but I guess it could work for Largo, too"
    thanks Barbel
    If that's what the lyricist says, then the song is meant to be about the hero.
    Its just that half the lyrics describe a villain better than a hero, and if that's not clear, he didn't succeed in communicating meaning.
    (but Fleming told us Bond is not so different from the villains he fights, see Vivienne's first impression in tSWLM)
    Obviously folks have debated this before us, because he is answering that exact question.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    NSNA is difficult to find and a lot of used shops charge more for it than the regular EON films.
    It is a good idea to watch it immediately after Thunderball, to compare and contrast, but I probably won't be joining you.

I have a theory about Leiter in Thunderball:
    (ahem, ah, heh-heh-heh, -hemmm)
    Everybody notes the dialog when Leiter enters Bond's room is near nonsensical and Bond punches him in the belly for no good reason.

Thunderball was meant to be the first film, and presumably would have had to introduce the character.
    Instead Dr No got made first, and added Leiter to the plot, and did the job of introducing him.
    And in both films there's several shots of Leiter in his shades lurking at the edge of the frame, not recognised by Bond.
    Were these shots originally part of the Thunderball script, then got moved to Dr No when they decided to film that story first?
    Then the same shots were left in Thunderball when they finally filmed that one, even though they no longer made sense?

theory: If so, there might have been different intended dialog for when Leiter knocks on Bond's door, i.e. a misunderstanding followed by introduction. Since they already know each other, they had to change the dialog, but the new dialog they came up with didn't make sense either.
    theory: If so, there might have been different intended dialog for when Leiter knocks on Bond's door, i.e. a misunderstanding followed by introduction. Since they already know each other, they had to change the dialog, but the new dialog they came up with didn't make sense either.

No, that‘s not the point.
    Bond enters the room and plays the tape.
    He knows that someone else is in the room.

When Leiter tries to call him 007, Bond tries to stop him by punching him.

But then when they expose the invader, Bond tells Leiter in front of the goon that he was just about to call him 007, so this does not make sense at all as the goon has heard it now anyhow.

aha, well this is why I shoulda joined you for the groupwatch, so I'd have the scene fresh in my mind.

what I'm imagining is:
    Bond knows there's someone in his room, then he hears someone else at the door.
    He opens the door, it's the guy in the shades who's been conspicuously following him since he got to Nassau. Obviously one of Largo's men, so he punches him in the belly.
    Leiter should say "ow! whatd you do that for? I'm your CIA contact Felix Leiter who you've never met before, we're going to be working together"
    Bond should say "whoops! well, in that case I think I've got one of Largos men hiding in my room, lets you and me go question him"

and that would actually make sense.

But you're right, I probably forgot a couple other details in that scene.
    And since I misinterpreted the intended meaning of the song, I probably shouldnt be speculating on the intended meaning of the movie.

Thunderball was meant to be the first film, and presumably would have had to introduce the character.
    Instead Dr No got made first, and added Leiter to the plot, and did the job of introducing him.
    And in both films there's several shots of Leiter in his shades lurking at the edge of the frame, not recognised by Bond.
    Were these shots originally part of the Thunderball script, then got moved to Dr No when they decided to film that story first?
    Then the same shots were left in Thunderball when they finally filmed that one, even though they no longer made sense?

The world of TB scripts, screenplays, treatments, drafts, titles and novel is a jungle. It isn't impossible that somewhere in one of the versions written by Fleming, Whittingham, Maibaum, etc that Leiter's intro is treated in the same way. Equally, it isn't impossible that his intro took place on a Death Star orbiting Alderaan (although that is a bit less likely).
    Anyway, the whole business of what was or wasn't in the assorted versions of what became TB is so hideously complicated that it might lead to a court case, or three. Oh, wait....
    aha, well this is why I shoulda joined you for the groupwatch, so I'd have the scene fresh in my mind.

what I'm imagining is:
    Bond knows there's someone in his room, then he hears someone else at the door.
    He opens the door, it's the guy in the shades who's been conspicuously following him since he got to Nassau. Obviously one of Largo's men, so he punches him in the belly.
    Leiter should say "ow! whatd you do that for? I'm your CIA contact Felix Leiter who you've never met before, we're going to be working together"
    Bond should say "whoops! well, in that case I think I've got one of Largos men hiding in my room, lets you and me go question him"

and that would actually make sense.

But you're right, I probably forgot a couple other details in that scene.
    And since I misinterpreted the intended meaning of the song, I probably shouldnt be speculating on the intended meaning of the movie.

Yes, you are wrong again :D
    There is no real introduction in that scene and Bond tells him that he punched him to prevent that Leiter is calling him 007 - right in front of the goon.