BMW Z3 Buying Tips?

I'm looking to buy a manual transmission Z3 in the next few weeks. Unfortunately, I'm whatever the opposite of a gear head is. I live in the middle of downtown Chicago and rarely need to drive. Yet I have an extra parking space in my condo and I may as well use it to stash a Bond toy. But, because I never need to drive, I've never learned anything about cars or car buying.

All I know is the very the basic: have it checked by a mechanic, maybe run it by a BMW dealer.

Now I'm assuming there are a number of Z3 owners here and I'm wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for (or ask the mechanic to look out for) specific to this car. Known issues and whatnot. I'm eying a 1.9, built between 95-98 (though I'm not opposed to a roll bar; I'll sacrifice a little SA for safety), under 70k miles, shipped from a southern state.

Apologies if this has been asked before (I did a cursory forum search); I'm more than happy to be directed to an existing thread if it exists.

Comments

• MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    frommeyer wrote:
    I'm looking to buy a manual transmission Z3 in the next few weeks. Unfortunately, I'm whatever the opposite of a gear head is. I live in the middle of downtown Chicago and rarely need to drive. Yet I have an extra parking space in my condo and I may as well use it to stash a Bond toy. But, because I never need to drive, I've never learned anything about cars or car buying.

All I know is the very the basic: have it checked by a mechanic, maybe run it by a BMW dealer.

Now I'm assuming there are a number of Z3 owners here and I'm wondering if there is anything I should be looking out for (or ask the mechanic to look out for) specific to this car. Known issues and whatnot. I'm eying a 1.9, built between 95-98 (though I'm not opposed to a roll bar; I'll sacrifice a little SA for safety), under 70k miles, shipped from a southern state.

Apologies if this has been asked before (I did a cursory forum search); I'm more than happy to be directed to an existing thread if it exists.

Get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) if possible by a reputable independent mechanic in the area. It will cost you a $100 to $200 but it's worth it and can save you a lot of headaches in the future!
    I know where you keep your gun!
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I had one for 3-4 years in the early 2000s - beautiful car. Being BMW it's well made with quality materials and built for a lot of mileage. It creaks a bit, but that's the joy of owning a convertible, they can be a little noisy.

The only real issue is that the rear windscreen is plastic and, if it's been frequently raised and lowered, becomes worn and opaque so please check that. Additionally, the roof fabric can become a bit mouldy (although as that's due to the British weather you probably won't have that problem) so again worth looking, particularly where it meets the body. And don't forget to check the Stinger missiles are still locked and loaded behind the front headlamps. :007)
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    JBL has a good buyers guide write up on what to look for.

https://www.jamesbondlifestyle.com/articles/buyers-guide-goldeneye-bmw-z3
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Great little car, especially with the top down in the nice weather. An appreciating classic, so find a good one at the right price, look after it and you won't lose much money, if at all, when it comes to resale. A full dealer service history is always a big plus. Just be wary though, if you do run it by a BMW dealer for a check, they will more than likely list a LOT of things to address ('stealerships' make most of their money from spare parts and servicing, remember), but by the same account being a responsible outfit, will be sure to advise of any major issues to address.

Definitely go for a manual.

Try and get one with the Atlanta Blue paintwork and beige interior and hood :007)

Good luck with your search and be sure to post some pics when she arrives!
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • CharlesRobinsonCharlesRobinson Posts: 53MI6 Agent
    They are lovely looking, and far easier to come across than the Z8. Do remember driving one here on UK roads and thinking it felt small, can only imagine what it'd be like going past an 18 wheeler on some of the freeways you chaps have over there.
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Well, they're the same chassis as an E36, which is good news because they don't really have much problems with corrosion (even better that you're looking for it from a southern state) and are actually quite straightforward cars.

I have my reservations for the 1.9 which seems a bit underpowered...and low power BMWs can be dogs but it's definitely screen accurate and should be alright considering it could rival the Miatas of its day. Since you don't really drive all that much, I'd consider the bigger engine though, even if it's not what you want considering SA and all that.
    Good choice on the manual, avoid BMW automatics at all costs.

Considering it's a 20something year old car at this point, I'd encourage you to get the suspension components checked out for any wear and tear that might've incurred since these are cheap and largely hooned around. Some BMWs of that era suffer from battery drain so if you discover that it doesn't start if you've left it a while, it's really only normal.
    Also, probably look out for a limited slip differential car, it's standard on 2.8 1998s and improves the cornering in my experience.

The Z3 is a good car to get your foot in the door in terms of appreciating cars beyond what they represent. Not many other cars handle quite like BMWs, much less like the Z3. It's a low, small car and even if it might not look out of place in Europe, if you truly want to be safe opt for a louder color than Bond's because most drivers (let alone distracted ones) won't be able to see you because you're below their blindspot. At the very least get a roll bar and check the horn.

As for appreciation, the virus has gotten some cars to get pumped up in value, especially the M-Roadsters which have become a collectable. These are largely cheap for now.
    Even if it's a higher mileage car it was probably taken care of, so documentation is very important. As Mike said, get a PPI.

I'm by no means an expert but that's just my .02 cents on this matter.

Happy hunting.
    a reasonable rate of return
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    I thought it was supposed to be a rare not-great handling BMW? I'm sure it's fun enough though.

Personally if I got one I'd be tempted to ignore the GoldenEye and make one into something like this:

IMG_4306-1024x683.jpg

It's a rebodied Z3. Isn't it nice? :)

Here's another:
    https://www.rcnmag.com/garage/a-rolling-stone
    At that point just get a Miata. Way better aftermarket support for kits.
    emtiem wrote:
    I thought it was supposed to be a rare not-great handling BMW? I'm sure it's fun enough though.
    Far from it.
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 745MI6 Agent
    edited June 2020
    If the one you are looking at falls through.. There is a GORGEOUS one for sale near me that appears to have all the maintenance records.. Was garage kept.. also under 70k miles and is around $11k.. Screen accurate blue and beige with the grooved 5 star wheels.. Looks like brand new really.. In Brentwood Tn..
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

Personally if I got one I'd be tempted to ignore the GoldenEye and make one into something like this:

IMG_4306-1024x683.jpg

Here's another:

Wowwww.......most impressive !!! :o :o
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,770MI6 Agent
    Here is a link for the Z3 for sale that MFisher mentioned....

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/55779067
    I know where you keep your gun!
    edited June 2020

Not in Europe: the Z3 is going that way more; maybe because the MX5 is seen as a classic in its own right more.
    emtiem wrote:
    Far from it.

Far from fun or far from great-handling? Yeah, generally they're always talked about as one of the least involving of the bunch of 90s sportcars in terms of handling (see this review here for example https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/z3), and the Z4 was seen as a big advance on it. But I'm sure they're still enjoyable and great value for what you pay nowadays. I've heard build quality was a bit of an issue too because they were built in the USA rather than Germany, but any car of that age will come with a few problems now so I doubt it adds much in the way of concern.
    The M versions on the other hand are supposed to be fantastic, but they were almost totally different from the standard cars.
    Fred007 wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

IMG_4306-1024x683.jpg

Here's another:

Wowwww.......most impressive !!! :o :o

Nice isn't it?

This one was even better in terms of quality but I believe Ferrari made the company stop making them.

AETV81489331_1.jpg

AETV81489331_4.jpg

AETV81489331_2.jpg

Another relatively simple body swap on a Z3. I've seen a couple and they do look good.
    emtiem wrote:

Not in Europe: the Z3 is going that way more; maybe because the MX5 is seen as a classic in its own right more.
    emtiem wrote:
    Far from it.
    Far from fun or far from great-handling?
    Far from "not so great handling"
    emtiem wrote:
    Yeah, generally they're always talked about as one of the least involving of the bunch of 90s sportcars in terms of handling (see this review here for example https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/z3), and the Z4 was seen as a big advance on it. But I'm sure they're still enjoyable and great value for what you pay nowadays.
    The M versions on the other hand are supposed to be fantastic, but they were almost totally different from the standard cars.
    Well, MX-5s have a bigger cult following so, true I guess.

Z3s are the same as E36s so if we trust Car and Driver

17ce5ce98f420383d6abf6b816ab912b.jpg

Not bad at all.

Not really about the M-Roadsters. Bigger engine, dampers, different interior. The bones are there so it's not that fantastic a margin. M Roadsters can be picky and unreliable too so...
    And the 1.9 the op wants is lighter than the Roadsters so it also has that going for it.
    emtiem wrote:

Far from it.
    Far from fun or far from great-handling?
    Far from "not so great handling"
    emtiem wrote:
    Yeah, generally they're always talked about as one of the least involving of the bunch of 90s sportcars in terms of handling (see this review here for example https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/z3), and the Z4 was seen as a big advance on it. But I'm sure they're still enjoyable and great value for what you pay nowadays.
    Well, MX-5s have a bigger cult following so, true I guess.

Z3s are the same as E36s so if we trust Car and Driver
    Not bad at all.

But put in a wobbly chassis that wasn't supposed to be very stiff. They just have always had a reputation of being more cruisers than true sportscars, that's all. Whether the reputation is deserved, I don't know: I've never driven one. But they have never held their prices. The Ms on the other hand, are only going up in price now.
    Not really about the M-Roadsters. Bigger engine, dampers, different interior. The bones are there so it's not that fantastic a margin.

Well no: the M department reengineered it- obviously using bits from the M3 predominantly. And they made the Coupe version to stiffen the car up more.
    edited June 2020
    emtiem wrote:
    Well no: the M department reengineered it- obviously using bits from the M3 predominantly. And they made the Coupe version to stiffen the car up more.
    Misinformed about that then. Thanks for educating me on that matter.
    Actually, the Z3 used the E36 compact suspension which means trailing arm rear (like the E30, so basically 80s suspension) than double wishbones like the E36s I'm familiar with because there simply was no space for it. That's why the rear never felt quite right with so many reviewers.
    But looking into it more, the 2.8 is definitely the way to go.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKNaoFvY_O8 Enlightening review.

But true, they've always really been cheap, the Ms...especially the clown shoe are appreciating (which I think looks very E-Type coupe which I enjoy)
  • andermtandermt Posts: 34MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

I was working for BMW at the time and ended up buying one of the M Coupe's, amazing car, one of the very few I've ever regretted getting rid of.
    Oh shame; yeah they're really going up in value now.

Interestingly I remember reading somewhere they did plan to put one in Tomorrow Never Dies, but Spotiswode rejected it because of its looks (I think he reportedly said something like 'Bond doesn't drive a station wagon!'). And I can see where he was coming from- plus we probably ended up with a better sequence because the 750 had back doors!
    I'd never heard of that. Honestly, even if it was a station wagon, which it isn't; it's a hatchback...Bond's...pretty much a car guy and he should move with the times.
    The origin story of the M-Coupe and how it was presented to BMW by the engineers as a pet project is also very Q-Branch-ey, it fits too well for Bond imo. The 7 Series was always a bit much, even for a banker but I guess the luxuriousness of it fits his cover even if it was seen through very quickly.

Clownshoes are awesome, agreed. Big shame you sold it.
    I'd never heard of that. Honestly, even if it was a station wagon, which it isn't; it's a hatchback...Bond's...pretty much a car guy and he should move with the times.
    The origin story of the M-Coupe and how it was presented to BMW by the engineers as a pet project is also very Q-Branch-ey, it fits too well for Bond imo. The 7 Series was always a bit much, even for a banker but I guess the luxuriousness of it fits his cover even if it was seen through very quickly.

I would expect that an M-Sport car would be consider too brash and a bit chavvy for Bond - he tends to choose the classier option, one thing an M3 definitely is not.

I would expect that an M-Sport car would be consider too brash and a bit chavvy for Bond - he tends to choose the classier option, one thing an M3 definitely is not.
    I'd argue that the BMW motorcycle he uses is too "hellbent for leather" to work too but that worked.
    And we did get a glimpse of him and the DB5 so it wasn't that bad too. I'd say it's closer to a DB5 than the Z8 or a 7 Series was but I digress.
    I'll just say that I can see your point though, AMC Hornet notwithstanding.

(That said that 7 Series has M-Sport wheels when it isn't continuity error'd out of existence but that's just picking hairs.)

I'd argue that the BMW motorcycle he uses is too "hellbent for leather" to work too but that worked.
    And we did get a glimpse of him and the DB5 so it wasn't that bad too. I'd say it's closer to a DB5 than the Z8 or a 7 Series was but I digress.
    I'll just say that I can see your point though, AMC Hornet notwithstanding.

(That said that 7 Series has M-Sport wheels when it isn't continuity error'd out of existence but that's just picking hairs.)

Yeah, they've made some unusual choices over the years. Been a while since I read the books, but if I remember correctly he drives a Bentley classic right? Speed Six maybe? Super 8? Regardless, I think it's the ubiquity of the BMW 3 Series that counts against it. A 7-Series is a lot rarer sight on roads, and the Z3 and Z8 rarer still. For me the alternatives would have to be something you seldom see, Bentley still qualifies, but possibly only just as they are often driven by footballers in the UK these days. Porsche saloon would work, F-Type maybe?
    Yeah, they've made some unusual choices over the years. Been a while since I read the books, but if I remember correctly he drives a Bentley classic right? Speed Six maybe? Super 8? Regardless, I think it's the ubiquity of the BMW 3 Series that counts against it. A 7-Series is a lot rarer sight on roads, and the Z3 and Z8 rarer still. For me the alternatives would have to be something you seldom see, Bentley still qualifies, but possibly only just as they are often driven by footballers in the UK these days. Porsche saloon would work, F-Type maybe?

F-Type is too Austin Powers imo. But the interesting thing is that the Sunbeam was a Shelby Cobra in sheep's clothing. I love the idea of that type of convertible for Bond but nothing is quite too subtle for that these days.
    If GE was released on '89 I could easily see Bond in a Miata though as crazy as that sounds just for how fashionable it was like the Z3.
    F-Type is too Austin Powers imo. But the interesting thing is that the Sunbeam was a Shelby Cobra in sheep's clothing. I love the idea of that type of convertible for Bond but nothing is quite too subtle for that these days.
    If GE was released on '89 I could easily see Bond in a Miata though as crazy as that sounds just for how fashionable it was like the Z3.

Agree, would love a Sunbeam - my mate had one when we were in our twenties, now 40 yo, before the prices went crazy. Having had a go in an F-Type, they are lovely cars, but know what you mean. I'm like you, love a Q-car, the RS6 Avant in Layer Cake is great in that regard. Looks very much like a practical car, most definitely is not. The Miata is definitely cool, could see the older Bond's in one definitely, or an Alfa Spider or Maserati convertible maybe.
    Was actually thinking, I could imagine them going all electric on him and sticking him in a Polestar 1 or Rimac C2 or some as yet unreleased Tesla.
    I'm like you, love a Q-car, the RS6 Avant in Layer Cake is great in that regard. Looks very much like a practical car, most definitely is not. The Miata is definitely cool, could see the older Bond's in one definitely, or an Alfa Spider or Maserati convertible maybe.

Definitely, it's very much like an even subtle-er Rapide which I love. RS4 Avant is more my speed styling wise, a bit softer.
    Or an old Dino V6 Convertible, very much the Italian DB4/5 convertible. I know exactly what you mean, it's crazy to me that these cars were ever affordable before """"collectors"""" got their crummy hands on them.

Honestly I've not seen an electric car be cool enough to be Bond worthy, imo. Rimac and the new Lotus come close but are pretty silly cars in their own right for one reason or another. Hybrid is very Bond but only the P1 that truly pulled it off, 918 too but Bond isn't a Porsche guy.

That's the interesting thing about Bond cars that the Z3 opened up, something cool and distinctive enough yet able to blend in a bit of traffic. Quick but not insane. It's a specific criteria.
    But then again some people just see it as nothing more than just a cheap product placement thing. It's good that the car was good though.
    edited June 2020
    I'd never heard of that. Honestly, even if it was a station wagon, which it isn't; it's a hatchback...

Sure, but it looks like one.
    Was actually thinking, I could imagine them going all electric on him and sticking him in a Polestar 1 or Rimac C2 or some as yet unreleased Tesla.

The Polestar seems a shoe-in for The Saint if they ever make a new one!

F-Type is too Austin Powers imo. But the interesting thing is that the Sunbeam was a Shelby Cobra in sheep's clothing.

That's the Tiger you're thinking of, not the Alpine that Bond drives in Dr No.
    emtiem wrote:
    That's the Tiger you're thinking of, not the Alpine that Bond drives in Dr No.
    Same body. Glaring mistake though. Bond does love his roadsters slow.
    emtiem wrote:
    Sure, but it looks like one.
    We should exchange oculists :D :D :D
    Do you really not know why he said that it looks like a station wagon?
  • frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    Ok. Which one of you bought the Z3 posted earlier? I was hoping to buy it next week and just saw it's gone. :(