Our first full EV (Electric Vehicle) ask questions

HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
Since 2 weeks, we proudly own our first full EV and I must say that I enjoy driving around with it.

We have a Renault Zoe 50 for my wife - if driven moderately, the range is over 400 km and the consumption intown is at around 10,5 KW/h for 100km.

We pay 29 Eurocents for the KW/h and have a public charging station 3 walk minutes away from home.

Any questions and experiences, please put them here.
President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!

Comments

• MAGR007MAGR007 Posts: 77MI6 Agent
    I think this is fantastic. They are now on sale. 20.000 instead of 30.000 list price
    How much do you pay for the battery rent?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    We have a leasing contract for 2 years and the battery rent is included.
    We are paying less than 100€/month

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    A co-worker of mine drives a VW e-Golf and I've been in it a few times and asked him a thousand questions. The cost of running it is jaw-droppingly inexpensive! It's a comfortable ride, but I do find it weird that it's pretty much completely silent. Very easy to sneak up on someone though!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,672MI6 Agent
    How is the electric car sales and infrastructure in Germany?
    How many of the new car market are electric cars?
    (I'm shamelessly setting up bragging rights for Norway, just so you know)
    Our Zoe has a soundgenerator which makes a modest spaceship sound up to 30km/h.
    I can turn this off but it comes back everytime the car is started again with the powerbutton.

As far as I know, EVs are far less than 5% of car sales but one part of the Corona stimulous package is that the subsidies for EVs have increased to EUR 6000 for each EV.
    I also hope that they put much money into infrastructure.

Having said this, „our“ charging station is closeby and the guys from the energy supplier told me, that the station (2 Spots) is used by 3 main cars ( 4 now) plus change.

Everytime that we are passing by, the station is empty.

We also went to the coast and parking space is rare there and expensive.
    I‘ve parked directly in front of the townhall, charged the car and paid nothing.

In Norway half a of the new cars are EVs and has been for some years. There's been a powerful stimulus package for electric cars, both economical and practical things like being allowed to drive in the bus lane. Until a couple of years ago Norway was the biggest EV market in the world, but now I think Germany and/or China has passsed us. I guess the tax income from the oil allows for paying indulgences (ablass) for all the oil we produce.
  • You Know My Name007You Know My Name007 Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    Lets make this a Happy thread

im a petrol head im glad i have my Ducatis and mustang
    dont care what they cost to run driving should be a great feeling

my view the German oko idiots are just trying to push with all they got this E crap down our throats
    good thing is the more they push the more will be turned away from it

no body i know in Germany wants any of it

my 50 cents
    edited June 2020
    Haha, our good friend returns!
    Where have you been? How is it going around the AfD Facebook hate groups?

Can you make any comment in the off-topic without insulting someone?

Well, I can tell you that many of my friends looked at me like :o when I told them that we are getting an EV.

After some civilized discussions (German Öko idiots was not a part of it), many of them agreed that this may be a good choice for them, too.
    Depends on what kind of friends you have I guess ;)

The main counterargument is range:
    I‘d say that over 90% use their car in a range of 2-70 kilometers a day.
    The Zoe has a range of 410 km, to it should be one charge per week.

Yes, I know - driving longer distances like 500-1000 for vacation will be a pain, but that‘s what rental cars are for if you don‘t have a second car.

For most of commuters (and many of them can charge the car around their workplace) an EV will be a good alternative.

edited June 2020
    I think the EV cars have become so good and offer such battery ranges they are competitive with many petrol cars and they are improving dramatically every year. In forward-looking countries the infrastrecture is also getting good enough for more and more people. I live in the countryside and it's years since I bought my car, so I got a hybrid. Most likey my next car will be an EV. if you live in a country with a weak infrastructure for electric cars and/or most of the electricity comes from coal I think hybrids are the best option. Who doesn't want to spend less on fuel?
    You know what?

‚Petrolheads‘, people like above who don‘t care how much the cost for their vehicles are to keep them running - are paying dearly on taxes which enables our government to finance better Charging structures, so thank you :D

And this may drive him nuts: My other (petrol) car maxes over 270 km/h* and I am pro speed limit 130 on german highways :D :D
    I enjoy driving in the US where everybody has roughly the same speed - it‘s much safer and relaxing there ;)

* Maybe I should put a ‚They are calling me an Oeko Idiot on my James Bond Forum‘ sticker on it

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,218MI6 Agent
    Do you have a long extension lead?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    He does. In fact Higgins doesn't have to unplug his car when gong shopping groceries at Liedl :p
    [Edited by Barbel. Keep it civil, please.]
    edited June 2020
    Getting upset about electric cars ......
    Do you get emotional about electric lawn mowers or hydropower too? :D
    It's just an alternative power source for cars.
    i dont think that the E car bike what ever is the future for driving
    you just get the feeling here in germany that the goverment or who ever are forcing this way apon you ( diesel scandal and now they are trying to stop motorbikes driving on bankholidays and weekends on certain roads they reacon its because the bikes are to loud ) its just got to the point where its a joke over here

oh and i think higgins is stuck up as well
    edited June 2020
    I have a totally opposite opinion about EVs.

Germans held back because

1. The vehicles where too expensive yet
    2. There are many pseudo-counter-arguments such as range and when you look behind it, current EVs have enough range but the charging infrastructure needs to developed.

The EVs have many advantages, but if you associate driving with performance and noise, then EV is not for you.

The Diesel-gate has not been done by the german government but by the praised german carmakers, and Ducati is a part of the Audi and thus VW group.

As for motorbikes on weekends on certain roads:
    They can be a pain in the butt, in particular when people violate speedlimits and change the exhaust and all my sympathy goes out to people who are living nearby those routes.

Don't tell me that the exhaust on your Ducati is not "improved".

As for I am "stuck" - what you have said in the deleted comment above speaks for your state of mind and ability to have a civilized discussion.
    IMO, you are just an angry and upset person and you should brighten up a bit.

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,378Chief of Staff
    i dont think that the E car bike what ever is the future for driving
    you just get the feeling here in germany that the goverment or who ever are forcing this way apon you ( diesel scandal and now they are trying to stop motorbikes driving on bankholidays and weekends on certain roads they reacon its because the bikes are to loud ) its just got to the point where its a joke over here

oh and i think higgins is stuck up as well

I think your views are rather narrow minded and overly antagonistic...I’m sure you could have put your thoughts forward more constructively if you’d have wanted.

Higgins is many things but NOT stuck up.

Please can we all try and stay ‘on topic’ - issues via PM please -{
    YNWA 97
    Higgins wrote:
    Since 2 weeks, we proudly own our first full EV and I must say that I enjoy driving around with it.

German bought 28 Teslas by mistake ..... hmm :v
    https://www.drivingmonitor.com/colossal-mistake-28-teslas/
    Higgins is suspiciously quiet ...... I may have struck gold here ! :D
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Were the 28 green?
    Aren't all Teslas green at heart? :))
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,378Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    Aren't all Teslas green at heart? :))

Can’t be his then...he has no heart :v :x
    YNWA 97
    That's debatable, but his car (cars?) can still have a heart.
    Number24 wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

German bought 28 Teslas by mistake ..... hmm :v
    https://www.drivingmonitor.com/colossal-mistake-28-teslas/

You are not so far off to the truth.
    Infact, yesterday, I have ordered another full EV....- not a Tesla or 28 of them :D

Great! What brand of car is it?
    Will post pics when it arrives in December ;)

We know it's green :p
    But is it a Renault Zoe, an e-Golf, Hyundai Ioniq etc? Not that it's any of my business, but I'm curious.
    We have a Zoe already ;)

It may drive Brexiteers and their picture about me nuts - I have ordered a Mini Cooper SE {:) {:)
    With the current promotions and subsidies, it‘s far cheaper to buy than a normal Mini And it drives phantastic!

Now I have to find a way to remove the Union Jack in the taillights and from the leather seats :D

And substitute The Union Jack with the EU flag? :))
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:
    We have a Zoe already ;)

It may drive Brexiteers and their picture about me nuts - I have ordered a Mini Cooper SE {:) {:)
    With the current promotions and subsidies, it‘s far cheaper to buy than a normal Mini And it drives phantastic!

Now I have to find a way to remove the Union Jack in the taillights and from the leather seats :D

The SE is a very cool little car! I don't see it being very popular over here in Aus however as a full battery only gives a range of around 200-250km, which makes any trips out of the cities near impossible. A few other EV's in similar price ranges offer far greater range out of a charge. Not saying you made a bad decision though Higgins, I'm sure it's perfect for your neck of the woods!