Higgins’ live commentary on TO CATCH A THIEF

2»

Comments

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    I've seen To Catch a Thief described as Hitchcock's funniest film. It's a showcase for the charms of Cary Grant and the beauty of Grace Kelly, and the location of Monte Carlo.
    Perhaps if you're expecting a pure thriller it's a disappointment, but all Hitchcocks sit at varying positions along the thriller<>comedy spectrum.

A car chase done with back projection I can accept in a film from the mid50s, it's a technical solution of the time you just have to accept to suspend disbelief.
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,965MI6 Agent
    edited July 2020
    I'm looking forward to seeing this film again in the near future. I last saw it at a BFI screening several years ago. Comedy, intrigue, romance and picturesque locations are great ingredients for a 50s movie.

There's no question that, in part, the cinematic James Bond (certainly by the time of GF and Sean Connery's relaxation into the role) is modelled on Cary Grant's star image as exemplified in a film like this - far more so than on the traditionally stuffy figure of the British (specifically, English) 'gentleman spy'.

Cary Grant left for the cinematic Bond a template look and style, characterised by modernity and charisma with transatlantic appeal.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.