Sunspel - The Ian Fleming Collection

Some nice pieces here, for those with deep pockets (as with N.Peal and Orlebar Brown).

https://www.sunspel.com/uk/mens/the-ian-fleming-collection.html
"Any of the opposition around..?"

Comments

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Very nice items.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Not sure I can recall Fleming referencing Bond wearing drawstring trousers in any of the novels... :#
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    The silk knitted tie is the only item there that is a direct interpretation of something Fleming's Bond wore. The reality is that there's not much they can do that's directly inspired by what Fleming's Bond wore. But they could have done a short-sleeve Sea Island cotton shirt, or his pyjama robe, or navy serge trousers.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Sunspel's Ian Fleming Collections have always struck me as far more about what Fleming wore than what Bond wore.
    Sunspel's Ian Fleming Collections have always struck me as far more about what Fleming wore than what Bond wore.

But they are billing this collection as 'a contemporary vision of how the author would dress James Bond for winter'.
    Oh, I know Matt. I have just always found it easier to picture Fleming's head (and arms, and legs etc) on these items than Connery's....or Hoagy Carmichael's.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:

But they are billing this collection as 'a contemporary vision of how the author would dress James Bond for winter'.

At first glance this seems a bit tenuous, but it's a decent hook to hang an idea for a collection on I suppose. And a rather clever bit of thinking by whoever came up with it: the brand has Bond associations by appearing in a Bond film but they presumably couldn't get the actual 007 licence because it's unavailable/too pricey, so they thought laterally and sought the Ian Fleming licence. That's a neat bit of thinking.

Might be a nice moneyspinner for the Fleming estate if they did more licensing: would you buy a nice Ian Fleming-branded posh wristwatch for example? Might actually be classier than one with the 007 logo on! :)
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Tenuous milking of a name and franchise comes to mind. Not as bad as OB, but still 8-)
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,757MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Tenuous milking of a name and franchise comes to mind. Not as bad as OB, but still 8-)

Agreed. It’s been licensing overload the past few years from EON, and it looks like the Fleming estate is trying to get in on it here.
    Asp9mm wrote:

When OB paid close attention to replicate an item, I thought their use of the licensing was appropriate. But it went way too far when they made their "Dr. No" polo in other colours, especially when considering that the original Dr. No polo was not even made of towelling.

I find it problematic to use Bond branding when the attitude is simply, 'I think Bond should wear this'. If you or I say that about a product we like, it's cool, but I want to see more of a real connection when brands are asking us to buy an item.
  • Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    They make some of the best underwear in the world, which Bond has indeed worn. But I guess, ironically, underwear only collections aren't that sexy (read profitable) for a brand.

the sea-island cotton Fleming collection they did previously was very good...possibly because SIC is worth all the hype.