Best Bond to Start Kids off on

IcePakIcePak Perth, Western AustraliaPosts: 170MI6 Agent
My nephews are 9 and 10 and I was thinking of introducing them to the Bond films. But where should I start?

My initial thought was Goldfinger: it's a classic and has lots of great gadgets and action. But here in Australia it's rated M15+ so it's out of the question.

The next film I thought of was You Only Live Twice: it's filled with fantastic set pieces and even has the awe-inspiring volcano-lair. But Connery's performance is flat here so the kids might not empathise with the character and put them off the series. Plus it might be a bit too dated for them.

Live and Let Die is a fun romp with lots of humour and gadgets but I thought the voodoo scenes might creep the kids out.

Moonraker is a fun romp from beginning to end with Jaws playing dumb for a lot of the time, and then there's plenty of gadgets and the dramatic space-station fight. My only concern here is Corine's death scene.

The first half of Octopussy is light-hearted fun, but then it becomes quite dark towards the end and I think the kids would lose interest.

Goldeneye was the film that introduced me to the series. It's fairly modern and is a classic with some brilliant scenes. But the first half is slow and might bore the kids.

What are your thoughts? Which Bond film would you introduce to 9 and 10 year olds?
1. CR 2. OHMSS 3. GE 4. TLD 5. FRwL 6. TMWTGG 7. FYEO
8. OP 9. TSWLM 10. SF 11. TND 12. LtK 13. NTtD 14. GF
15. AVtaK 16. LaLD 17. TWiNE 18. MR 19. YOLT 20. DN 21. TB
22. SP 23. DAD 24. QoS 25. DaF

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    It's Moonraker for me. Moonraker is probably the film that introduced me to Bond at a very young age, much younger than 9 years old. Kids love Jaws. Corinne's death is a little scary, but you don't see anything gruesome. The only problem is that after the kids see this, nothing will ever be as cool as Bond going into outer space. It's th
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,177MI6 Agent
    Moonraker or You Only Live Twice

To be fair at 9 and 10 you can pretty much show them any Bond film from 1962 - 1985. Maybe leave On Her Mahesty's, the middle bit drags a bit for youngsters.
  • JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent
    My father started me with Goldfinger.
    "History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • The Spy Who Never DiesThe Spy Who Never Dies UKPosts: 644MI6 Agent
    Maybe have a chat with their parents first. Find out what things they are used to watching. That should give you a better indication. I would say Moonraker too. Regarding Corinne's death, you don't actually see it. But it I would check that your nephews don't have a fear of dogs! TSWLM might also be fun for them.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Moonraker sounds good, not too serious, an easy watch and an easy to follow story. As for
    Corinne's death, you could perhaps distract them at that point with a " Who wants a sweet "
    or Ice cream etc ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Moonraker sounds good, not too serious, an easy watch and an easy to follow story. As for Corinne's death, you could perhaps distract them at that point with a " Who wants a sweet " or Ice cream etc ;)
    Yep, I agree it's MR. IcePak, if this is indeed the one you choose, just make sure you have an answer ready when your nephews ask, "Hey Uncle IcePak, what's re-entry?" :D
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) For the technical answer, just watch " The Right Stuff " afterwards ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    Would definitely go along with Moonraker. Also TSWLM.
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    Kids must be sort in Australia if at 9 or 10 you can't show them Goldfinger. Anyway, what happens, does Dame Edna come down the chimney to remonstrate with you?
    I got to see GF at the age of 5 or 6, didn't do me any harm - well, that's arguable. :# I would go with that one myself but don't make a big fanfare. Even Dr No would be fine but don't make out it's the best thing ever. Don't sell it as an action film.
    Otherwise, TSWLM.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    I think I was 3 when I saw Moonraker on television. I turned out just fine. :s
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Lady IceLady Ice Posts: 279MI6 Agent

Goldfinger, as the first film with all the iconic Bond components. It's quite cartoon-y so should have child appeal.

There isn't a Bond film that's completely squeaky clean so I guess it depends on how conservative the parents are.

• KladdaghKladdagh FrancePosts: 117MI6 Agent

I suggest "the spy who loved me" ... Or any Roger Moore era movie.

~Never Let Them See You Bleed~
  • KucherovKucherov ChinaPosts: 25MI6 Agent

I got myself into the franchise after borrowing my father's DVD copy of The World Is Not Enough - back in 2003/2004 or so. Yes, the overall plot is perhaps a little dull, but there are some fun scenes like the PTS and caviar factory. Even today I have a soft spot for it even though I can recognise it as among the weaker films.

-{
  • IceQIceQ Posts: 298MI6 Agent

Was thinking about this the other day with my nephew, problem is they are so used to over produced cgi cartoon crap that if there’s 5 seconds of nothing happening the phone is out and a stupid TikTok video playing, actually goes for anyone under about 35 now tbh, have tried to watch ‘classic’ films with people and they are like ‘why would I watch old films?’.

• IcePakIcePak Perth, Western AustraliaPosts: 170MI6 Agent

Thanks for all the responses. I still haven't gotten around to showing them anything yet. But Moonraker is probably the sure bet.

1. CR 2. OHMSS 3. GE 4. TLD 5. FRwL 6. TMWTGG 7. FYEO
    8. OP 9. TSWLM 10. SF 11. TND 12. LtK 13. NTtD 14. GF
    15. AVtaK 16. LaLD 17. TWiNE 18. MR 19. YOLT 20. DN 21. TB
    22. SP 23. DAD 24. QoS 25. DaF
  • Unknown007Unknown007 Posts: 201MI6 Agent

I would have to say start them with Goldfinger then The Spy Who Loved Me........?

• Smiert-SpionamSmiert-Spionam Posts: 318MI6 Agent

Goldfinger despite it's rating doesn't have too many scenes that warrant avoiding it if you're watching it with kids from the top of my head.

The Bond films I remember watching at about the same age were:

Goldeneye

Tomorrow Never Dies

Goldfinger

Live & Let Die

The Spy Who Loved Me

Given the choice I would say that The Spy Who Loved Me is the one to go for. Has everything you want in a Bond film especially if you're introducing youngsters to the series. Great action set pieces, colourful characters, great locations and sets and very good humour.

Smiert Spionam
  • TheHighPriestessTheHighPriestess Posts: 6MI6 Agent

Honestly I would go with TSWLM & Moonraker.

Both are ideal for the purpose plus Jaws could well be a hit.

The opening part of TSWLM is peak Bond "WOW" for a lot of people, and then there's the Lotus too!

Moonraker might actually be the better of the two for this purpose, but since they're connected - and the top two choices anyway - I would do them in order!