Roger Moore style Identification Card Prop

JamesVibertJamesVibert Jersey Channel Islands Posts: 39MI6 Agent
Hi all, I have an interesting question to ask. Does anyone know what a Roger Moore 1970s/80s MI6 Intelligence Services Identification access card would look like as I am considering creating one but I can’t find any good references to go by. Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards James.
James Vibert

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    I guess you might want to use the Universal Exports logo as seen on the helicopter at the beginning of For Your Eyes Only?
  • JamesVibertJamesVibert Jersey Channel Islands Posts: 39MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    I guess you might want to use the Universal Exports logo as seen on the helicopter at the beginning of For Your Eyes Only?

Yes but I was more thinking along the lines of a pass card for MI6.

Something more along the lines of this but in 1970s or even 80s era.

785-DAC3-E-71-FF-4-D15-BC20-DCD675-A71-DE9.jpg

D53643-DA-D485-4303-A90-F-C93681-F4-F842.jpg
    James Vibert
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    Well now I want a Robert Sterling business card with that FYEO UnivEx logo :))
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    The design looks good.

Please excuse me when I point out the spelling mistakes on the rear of the card.
    Joshua wrote:
    The design looks good.

Please excuse me when I point out the spelling mistakes on the rear of the card.

Thanks for saying the design looks good, I think it looks a bit too modern for what I am trying to achieve. I really appreciate you pointing out the spelling mistakes I really appreciate that.
    James Vibert
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    I’d just simplify what you have.
    Lose the barcode and the 007 TM badge and fix the spelling mistakes on the rear.
    You're welcome. As pointed out by Uncle27, I too think the bar code and 007 logo is not required. (did bar codes exist in the 1970's anyway?)
    Joshua wrote:
    You're welcome. As pointed out by Uncle27, I too think the bar code and 007 logo is not required. (did bar codes exist in the 1970's anyway?)

Thanks. Okay, it was something I knocked up on a ID creator website based on something I saw on google image search to see if I could make it look identical for a bit of fun. I can knock most ID cards up but I would only do it for entertainment purposes only and not to impersonate anyone else. As for your comment relating to the barcode existing in the 1970s I found this bit of information.

The barcode was invented by Norman Joseph Woodland and Bernard Silver and patented in the US in 1951. The invention was based on Morse code that was extended to thin and thick bars. However, it took over twenty years before this invention became commercially successful.

Basically what I want to know is what would an MI6 Agent ID card used to access MI6 HQ look like during the 1970s/80s the Roger Moore era. I can’t find any examples and I can’t even begin to imagine as I have never seen a mock up or example of that yet so it’s difficult. I am very open to ideas and suggestions though please.

I found a few of Sean Connery and one of Roger Moore, I could knock some up but I don’t know if it would look the part for what I am trying to achieve.

2-BDDE83-E-CDFE-4919-AD56-B550-CA455155.png

2-C7-FCA3-C-91-FC-4591-B9-A4-794415-B45-C38.png

9-AD06-D6-F-2-EA5-4-BF9-B8-DB-169666-DA0-A15.png
    James Vibert
    I see.

The information about the bar code surprised me.

If you wanted to make the card 'realistic' I think you might like to consider the following:

Would a card for a secret agent have all the agent's information and photograph on?

Would it have MI6 or SIS on?

(I am thinking if it was lost or stolen.)

I think that MI6 comes under the foreign office? There would most likely be an ordinary civil service pass carried by anyone employed by MI6 with no obvious connection to the intelligence service?

If MI6 used them at that time, the real information would be in the bar code, to swipe for entry or such like?

But for a card to be like a Bond film prop, something similar to the last two photographs? My own preference would be the middle one (but without the white 'personal information' bars.
    Joshua wrote:
    I see.

The information about the bar code surprised me.

If you wanted to make the card 'realistic' I think you might like to consider the following:

Would a card for a secret agent have all the agent's information and photograph on?

Would it have MI6 or SIS on?

(I am thinking if it was lost or stolen.)

I think that MI6 comes under the foreign office? There would most likely be an ordinary civil service pass carried by anyone employed by MI6 with no obvious connection to the intelligence service?

If MI6 used them at that time, the real information would be in the bar code, to swipe for entry or such like?

But for a card to be like a Bond film prop, something similar to the last two photographs? My own preference would be the middle one (but without the white 'personal information' bars.

Thanks for your reply it is really helpful and appreciated. You have made some interesting points. A swipe card for entry is the style I have in mind I could not think of the words but thanks to you we are more or less on the same page now. I am planning on creating it as a custom prop design for my display cabinet.

I wanted your suggestion on this question please. I was thinking that James Bond might have all his information on his ID/swipe card because he is not subtle when he introduces himself usually by saying. My name is Bond....James Bond.

Regards James
    James Vibert
    A film prop type card would have his details on. When I said 'without the white personal information bars' I meant to have them but make them the same colour as the body of the card. (Gold in the case of the middle card) I think having an all gold card would look more professional than having those white stripes.

You must understand that I am no expert. There are many people here who could advise you better than me.
    Perhaps the photograph on the right, if it was cropped to remove the gun, would be good for an ID card?
    ad-composite-roger-moore.jpg
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    In my opinion the card would be for:

Military Intelligence-Section 6
    Name. James Bond
    Department: 00

No mention of SIS or bar codes, coat of arms as is in the middle of the card

Here is Joshua's pic cropped :)

07-ACF901-1826-42-C8-BBF7-13-ABEC5166-C4-4-5005-c.jpg
    Joshua wrote:
    A film prop type card would have his details on. When I said 'without the white personal information bars' I meant to have them but make them the same colour as the body of the card. (Gold in the case of the middle card) I think having an all gold card would look more professional than having those white stripes.

You must understand that I am no expert. There are many people here who could advise you better than me.

It makes sense to me now, I think you are doing a great job of helping me so far it has come in very useful.

Regards James
    James Vibert
    I have come up with this so far, okay the coat of arms needs working on but it will do as an example for now, what do you think so far, thanks.

144-AC1-C8-53-B2-4903-B71-C-879-D50-A8-F664.jpg

Regards James
    James Vibert
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    I actually like the Naval portrait - but even if he wouldn't wear that in his MI6 ID pic, consider cropping/photshopping out his ribbons and using it anyway? In late 70s/early 80s, it might be black and white, to boot. The downfall of so many of these cards is it's the character in some sort of action publicity pose. That Naval shot looks like a proper ID photo.
    I actually like the Naval portrait - but even if he wouldn't wear that in his MI6 ID pic, consider cropping/photshopping out his ribbons and using it anyway? In late 70s/early 80s, it might be black and white, to boot. The downfall of so many of these cards is it's the character in some sort of action publicity pose. That Naval shot looks like a proper ID photo.

Well first and foremost thank you so much for your reply and input. What you have suggested and mentioned is probably 100% true. Thank you so so much I really appreciate it. Do you think I should add a barcode?
    James Vibert
    The photograph is better than the one I suggested. As Halfmonk says, the photographs are always disappointing. That is why I tried to find a 'proper' passport style photograph.

Make the crest so it doesn't have a white background and the same colour as the rest of the card.

Personally I would not have the rank or 'license to kill' on the card.

Perhaps think about doing two cards? One which is a film prop and the other more realistic?

No bar code as far as I'm concerned.
    Joshua wrote:
    The photograph is better than the one I suggested. As Halfmonk says, the photographs are always disappointing. That is why I tried to find a 'proper' passport style photograph.

Make the crest so it doesn't have a white background and the same colour as the rest of the card.

Personally I would not have the rank or 'license to kill' on the card.

Perhaps think about doing two cards? One which is a film prop and the other more realistic?

No bar code as far as I'm concerned.

Okay, thanks for your input it’s really helpful. What do you think to this?

7-C13-AA43-A63-D-4-D95-9-D5-A-2900488-B26-AA.jpg

Regards James
    James Vibert
    I like that one.

Perhaps you could show us the same but with a colour photograph?
    Also one with the crest moved and enlarged to fill the space behind the personal details? But made not as distinct (I don't know the English word?) so that it is only just seen?

EDIT. Faint is the word I am looking for. So that it is seen but only in the background with the name etc over the top.
    Joshua wrote:
    Also one with the crest moved and enlarged to fill the space behind the personal details? But made not as distinct (I don't know the English word?) so that it is only just seen?

EDIT. Faint is the word I am looking for. So that it is seen but only in the background with the name etc over the top.

Something more along the lines of this you mean?

4-E27-D1-C3-CE1-B-4-C32-83-FF-D5-DB2-A275-DAB.jpg

Regards James
    James Vibert
    Yes -{
    Joshua wrote:
    Yes -{

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for all your help and input it really helped me a lot. If you need any advice on anything I am happy to help.

Regards James
    James Vibert
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent

Nailed it. -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

Nailed it. -{

Many thanks personally I prefer this one.

EAFDE8-EE-37-E1-43-C1-B443-4169-D0-AB0-D41.jpg
    James Vibert