Guns of Navarone watchalong Thursday 18th 9pm GMT

Comments

• Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,966MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    One way this is better than Where Eagles Dare is how they give the leads personalities with tension between them.

I still love the battle-hewn bonding/contrast between Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood, though.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,766MI6 Agent
    Peck is climbing on a flat "rock" on the studio floor! But it works...
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,220Chief of Staff
    The bird that frightens Peck was a personal friend of John Glen's.
    Shady Tree wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    One way this is better than Where Eagles Dare is how they give the leads personalities with tension between them.

I still love the battle-hewn bonding/contrast between Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood, though.

Yes, it has its charm.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    Number24 wrote:
    Especially Peck wanted to ned down and natural acting in the movie. BTW the director worked with many of the cast before and after Navarone. I guess they got along well.

That's right. I suppose Cape Fear might be his most revered work besides this film. Sadly I've never seen the original, only the Scorsese remake (which I enjoyed very much.) My favourite J. Lee Thompson film is Ice Cold in Alex, which also stars Anthony Quayle (doing an amusing impression of an Afrikaans South African).
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Just watching Mallory climb the mountain, I can feel the cold and wet seeping into his bones.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    I wonder if John Glen was inspired to adopt his 'surprise bird' trademark from this moment with the seagull as Mallory climbs the mountain...
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    A John Glen moment!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    John Glen directed this film for a few moments when the bird frightened Peck. :)
    Barbel wrote:

Beat you to that, guys.
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Especially Peck wanted to ned down and natural acting in the movie. BTW the director worked with many of the cast before and after Navarone. I guess they got along well.

That's right. I suppose Cape Fear might be his most revered work besides this film. Sadly I've never seen the original, only the Scorsese remake (which I enjoyed very much.) My favourite J. Lee Thompson film is Ice Cold in Alex, which also stars Anthony Quayle (doing an amusing impression of an Afrikaans South African).

Also, Peck's Atticus Finch was a key performance in terms of cementing the 'upstanding decency' element in his star persona.
    Gymkata wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    Peck is climbing on a flat "rock" on the studio floor! But it works...

200.gif

Holy Perspective, Gymkataman!
    It's silly and still cool how they only use a rope. No-one is attached to the rope, no real tecnique really.
    Shady Tree wrote:
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Number24 wrote:

Also, Peck's Atticus Finch was a key performance in terms of cementing the 'upstanding decency' element in his star persona.

Sacrilege, I know, but I've always found Gregory Peck worthy, solid, and... just a bit dull.
    Barbel wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

Beat you to that, guys.

:))
    The cliff-top fate of this sentry is more disturbing to me than any number of SPECTRE henchmen flung over cliffs...
    Gregory Peck looks like John Hamm! Or is it the other way around?
    Gymkata wrote:
    You could say much the same about Charlton Heston.

That's true.
    I like how they use Greek and German with no subtitles. We understand from context what is said.
    Gymkata wrote:

He was often too theatrical for my tastes. When dialed back and 'natural', he was great...like he is here.

If my memory serves me, Twelve O'Clock High was another good example of Peck at his best.
    "Alles in ordnung?" (Not sure how that's spelled) - must appear in just about every war film...
    Peck's performance is the lynchpin of this entire movie, imho, and he's a great foil for Niven's set-piece theatrical speeches.
    Number24 wrote:
    I like how they use Greek and German with no subtitles. We understand from context what is said.

+ 1 {[]
    Number24 wrote:

I get the German (obviously) but have not a clue about the Greek.

(Elementary, I need a Greek Interpreter- anyone get that?)
    "Alles in ordnung?" (Not sure how that's spelled) - must appear in just about every war film...

Much like "Gott im himmel!" in WWII comics like Commando and Battler Britton.
    edited February 2021
    I always liked the sniping scene :D (coming up soon)
    Shady Tree wrote:
    Peck's performance is the lynchpin of this entire movie, imho, and he's a great foil for Niven's set-piece theatrical speeches.

You find Niven more theatrical than Peck? I'm the opposite.
    Golrush007 wrote:

Much like "Gott im himmel!" in WWII comics like Commando and Battler Britton.

The first is commonly said, the second not so much.
    Gymkata wrote:

falco-alles-klar.gif

Achtung! Alarm! :o
    Barbel wrote:
    Shady Tree wrote:

You find Niven more theatrical than Peck? I'm the opposite.

Only when they have their set-piece showdowns, later on... very much like stage acting...