Interesting Call Back with NTTD Commando Sweater

I read a few days ago that Daniel Craig was in the BBC miniseries "Sword of Honor" based on the books by Evelyn Waugh that recount his time during WWII. In the show he wears an old style military sweater that has a draw string collar.

I wasn't able to find any photos of Craig in the sweater from the show. But I downloaded some photos of a reproduction of the sweater from the What Price Glory website.

I don't know if the idea to have James Bond wear a drawstring sweater was a nod to an early Daniel Craig role but I thought it was interesting. Until I started seeing the photos of the NTTD sweater I didn't know that some sweaters from WWII had that type collar.

TA4wYYE.jpg

AMkklkS.jpg

AR7Kbnh.jpg

Comments

• frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    I'm watching Batman vs Superman and noticed Alfred is wearing a similar sweater too.

R0roulG.jpg

3HNKO08.jpg
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    Alfred’s looks like a more standard woolly pully but I don’t think I’ve seen one with epaulettes before, although I notice the above one has them too.
    I must admit I didn’t remember Sword of Honour at all (it was adapted by William Boyd, future writer of the 007 novel Solo) but here’s an interview Craig did to promote it which is quite funny in retrospect given what he says about how he wants his career to go: https://www.theguardian.com/media/2001/jan/02/tvandradio.television1
    He’s hoping to make smaller budget movies: instead he ends up jumping out of a helicopter with the Queen in front of hundreds of millions :)

Looks like it’s available to watch (in the U.K. anyway) on All 4:
    https://www.channel4.com/programmes/sword-of-honour
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited February 2021
    The standard Brit milspec issue woolly pullys all have eps. Alfreds looks like a genuine MOD Army Issue.

ARMY

AE922100-DE71-4-ED8-A125-7-ACD8984840-F.png

RAF

DD12163-D-2355-4881-863-C-579-FC35-F1-ACF.jpg

RN

E2-FC2257-4-D10-489-E-B0-CA-722531-D1-F2-A9.jpg
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    edited February 2021
    Yep, I'd just not noticed it before, that's all.

Anyway, I had a quick skim through Sword Of Honour and I couldn't see a scene where Craig wears a woolly pully. He's got what looks like an olive cotton jumper in a couple of scenes but it's not the same, no shoulder patches, no drawstring. He does look fantastic in the show though, sort of surprised he wasn't marked out as a future Bond then.
  • IanTIanT Posts: 573MI6 Agent

The drawstring in the collar of the wooly pully is quite a common modification. I did it to mine, but the drawstring (or bootlace) was threaded through the collar from the inside. That way, when you put it on, and folded your shirt collar on the outside you could use the drawstring to close the collar tighter so it didn't look loose and untidy.

The wooly pully worn by Alfred is the v-neck version favoured by some officers in barrack dress.

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

My pulley from came today from Outdoor Knitwear: https://www.outdoorknitwear.com/crew-neck/106-bond-.html#/colour-navy/elbow_patches-yes/size-m

I have to preface that I don't have a Hollywood physique, but the chest suppression is pretty crazy and looked very silly on me indeed in sized medium, and I'm not a particularly big guy either.

Has anyone else had this experience?

It's tight on the chest?

• JoviusJovius Albuquerque, NMPosts: 42MI6 Agent

I doubt that it was meant to call back to an early, obscure Daniel Craig role so much as that specific style of sweater. Suttirat Anne Larlarb just thought it was a cool, old fashioned design that Bond would wear and commissioned N. Peal to reproduce it for NTTD.

https://www.npeal.com/journal/n-peal-launches-navy-ribbed-army-sweater-no-time-to-die/