The Infamous MOONRAKER Camera.

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,510Chief of Staff

I think “great job” is slightly underselling it πŸ‘€πŸ€£

YNWA 97
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Just amazing. Congratulations to all!

• danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent

What you're seeing as reflections I'm seeing thumbs in shadow. The original was probably a piece of wood with metal wrapped around it😁

And just to point out, Bond doesn't always have pristine gadgets, the TB breather looks quite banged about in some scenes and take a look at the 5513 in TMWTGG, it looks like someone had the crystal on the bottom of their shoe πŸ˜‚

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,694MI6 Agent
    edited March 2021

Not quite sure how you mean 'thumbs in shadow'?

It's definitely reflective though: look how the tip of his right index finger is reflected in the top of the case- and the shines move around too much for it not to be. Those are just edge shines, not roughened edges. Probably not a mirror finish like his cigarette case, though.

It's very nicely made for such a tiny thing though! 😊 I wonder who made it? And is that Roger or did he get a face double in? 😁

edited March 2021

Yes I see the reflection, so that would make it like gunmetal blue ? that was discussed but not appropriate as its made of aluminium, so sprayed black it was 😁

The shade that I was talking about was on ASP9MM Photo which didnt copy over on to my message.

Minijeff made our copy, Ken Adams team would have made the original and that is Albert trying to ge in on the action 😁

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

different angles.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Have you been polishing it ASP, I bet Higgy will be πŸ˜‚

Great shots though πŸ‘Œ

Vigorously 😁. I’m going to do the wear to the edges later.

• HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent

Wearing things down immediately is one of Pete‘s key competences... πŸ™„

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    edited March 2021

Still not quite with the tight levels of specular highlights though- look at those edges: I'd say the original has more shine than that and more of a metallic finish: your reflections are more dispersed because it's a more matte finish. I don't think it's black because of the level of the shadows in the debossed numerals and the gradient across the front: it was being photographed in low light so a black one would have looked even darker. It's lovely though!

I haven’t finished the edges off yet. I’ll do that later.

They're not worn on the prop though, it's just a metallic finish.

Just need to put a bit of wear around the lense O. Then almost done.

The original was probably a piece of wood sprayed black with a metal plate wrapped around it, that is how they use to work, Nick Finlayson was famous for it, look at all of the marvellous things he made out of kids toys for GE.

Tried to match the lighting, but the led is too bright 🀣

That's fair enough; it's clear watching it that this is metallic though: you can see the shines playing across the surface. I'd say it's also a bit too small to route that debossed 007 in too without damaging the grain: it would actually be easier to fabricate in metal. It's not worn either: unlike the Thunderball rebreather (which lived in a cigar tube and probably got scraped as they took it in and out) or the watch (which was probably something Rolex had at the bottom of a drawer somewhere!) this was a bespoke prop which they'd have no reason to age up because Bond doesn't carry worn things. It looks very dark because it's being photographed in low light. The silver of the 007 does stand out though, so it would seem to be a metallic finish. You can tell by the reflections of the fingers on ASP's one: his is more matte.

Looks better with the worn edges guys, I recommend you do it. Only a 60 second job. Still need to do the sides a bit more, but you get the gist.

edited March 2021

I used to think it was metallic, and argued blind that it was. But the group proved me wrong, and Jeff even made versions with that finish, but not under any circumstances could he make it appear as it does on screen, with even the lowest of lighting. Even metallic matte it was far too reflective and bright, whereas the prop absorbs light except on the edges. When the lense is lit, a silver metallic finish on the front reflects like crazy on camera. The only way Jeff could screen match it with his various means was to have the finish blued or in black. As Pete says, blued wasn’t really possible, so the next best option was black.

Some people speculate that is was made from a gun mag. The right hand side suggests that may be the case. But we will never know. MG and Pete are the authorities as they’ve been working on this for 8 years. HiggyBum may know a bit too. But I refuse to acknowledge that.

JD, I was just describing how sometimes are thrown together πŸ˜‚

before the likes of prop shop company all sorts were used ask Donk about the parts bin :D

edited March 2021

We have been debating the color of the cam up and down and only one total moron insisted that the camera had a silver/metallic surface.

Thank god he came to his mind and we could move on with black.

Gunmetal would have probably been best but not possible for aluminium

The worn edges look great - how did you do them, Asp9mm

In the end the MR cam is my baby and I dictatorially decided that it will be black.

And so was it 😁

Very nice BTW, I have other ideas for mine for the moment

we are all ears, as long as plugs are not involved 😁

I think the clincher to it being black is the OO7 text. It’s in silver. They’d have painted it black if the camera was silver. As proven with the metal prototypes, that text contrasts way too much against the face for it to be anything but black.

It’s a bit angular to be sticking up there mate.....

Tell me about it. The SF bulldog box has grand piano parts welded to it 🀣