How to Wash Tommy Bahama Catalina

Hi everyone,

I wondered if anyone had any tips for washing the Catalina Twill shirt. My partner threw the last one I purchased in work and there was considerable shrinkage as well as a hardness to the texture as a result. Really want to keep the same feel and size on my others for the next go around! Any help is very welcome.

Comments

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

I’ve washed mine in cold and laid flat to dry. This option will leave you needing to iron/steam it. I prefer to dry clean it. It comes out very well that way. I would have the cleaners steam it versus pressing it. That’s what I have found that works best.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • SauceBossSauceBoss Posts: 37MI6 Agent

Oof, I wish I read this before I washed mine lol. Anyway to restore that silky feeling it had? With steam maybe? Or is it just going to be like any of my other regular shirts now.

• JB1106340JB1106340 Posts: 434MI6 Agent

Thanks for the advice folks, I had the same problem as you SauceBoss and don’t want to make the same mistake on my other shirt!

• coop5150coop5150 Posts: 122MI6 Agent

Did you find a way to fix the shirt? Just washed mine for the first time and it’s super stiff and definitely not the same feeling shirt as it was.

• coop5150coop5150 Posts: 122MI6 Agent

I machine washed in cold, and hung it up to dry. I came back the next day and it is so stiff, and the shirt is slightly too small for me. I’m trying to let it soak in baby shampoo and then I’ll try to stretch it out, but I don’t see how that will fix the feeling of the fabric. Super bummed because I waited a long time for the Small to come back in stock, finally got it, plus it was Labor Day and I got it half off. If I can’t fix it I’d love to get another, but the small is out of stock now.

• SchnoeppSchnoepp Posts: 168MI6 Agent

I recommend only taking the shirt to a good dry cleaner who knows about silk.