Spectre Seamster vs NTTD Seamaster

Hi All,

I’m currently torn between purchasing either the NTTD Seamster or the Spectre Seamaster. I'm just not keen on the strap from the NTTD, thus help is required from all you good people!

Comments

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,129MI6 Agent

What a lovely quandary to find yourself in.

My first piece of advice would be to enjoy the experience as much as you can. This is a big purchase and should be savoured. Visit an OMEGA AD if you can, to try the NTTD in person and lap up the (hopefully positive!) experience.

Both are great watches, and you will be happy with either.

I saw the NTTD Seamaster in the window of my AD at the weekend and I still really like it. The brown is different and I like the Milanese strap. However, I have seen from various YouTube reviews that the strap clasp is pretty bulky on the wrist. The bezel is not ceramic whereas it is on the standard Seamaster for a few grand less! Although the NTTD watch is Titanium. Personally, I don't think it's worth the £7K+ price tag over the standard, but if I could afford one, I would have one. I have the QoS Planet Ocean and this would be a nice addition to the collection.

Finally, as I'm sure you're aware, the NTTD is not a limited piece, so as its stands, unless OMEGA pull the plug on production (which they've not said they will), the resale value won't be as high as on the SP Limited Edition model. Generally the SP model seems to be favoured by Bond and Watch fans.

Other questions to ask yourself;

Would you prefer owning a brand new watch as in the NTTD or are you happy with the 'used' SP watch?

What will you be primarily be wearing the watch for? Daily wear? Special occasions? With a suit or jeans and t-shirt?

If you're not keen on the NTTD's Milanese strap why not purchase on the NATO? The SP is of course on the NATO, albeit a different colour. Remember, straps can always be changed to suit the mood, it depends if you want SA or happy to make it and wear it as your own individual piece.

Finally, just worth bearing in mind that the SP model comes with the nice big presentation box and a few bits. The NTTD watch comes in just the wax soft pouch, which may have a connection to the film in some way (yet to be seen) but is a pretty poor offering for such an expensive watch. Not even a tool supplied in the empty slot in the pouch (This still baffles me..🙄

Good luck in your decision making and keep us posted!👍️

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent

I’m fortunate enough to own both - as well as the Brosnan Omega which I wore every day from buying it new in ‘98 through to the day the NTTD arrived

I have to say, I love wearing the NTTD (on the Milanese) as much as I do the Brosnan - whereas the couple of times I’ve tried to wear the Spectre, It felt incredibly bulky on the wrist and I was very conscious of wearing it - and not in a positive way.

For me, as The Red Kind said, it all depends if you are buying to wear or collect. If it’s to wear, I don’t think you will be disappointed if you try on the NTTD on the Milanese strap.

But either way, congratulations and enjoy the experience!

Yes. Considerably.
  • llvhhuillvhhui Posts: 81MI6 Agent

I'd go with the NTTD. It's just my personal opinion.

Reasons:

1. More easily available. You can get it new. Cheaper on the pre-owned market.
    2. Much thinner and lighter. It's made of titanium. Spectre was 15mm thick on the nato.
    3. NTTD is coming out soon. It would be cool to go see the movie waring the watch.