Getting tooled up for the new Bond film, Covid-wise...

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent

I am getting a bit apprehensive. In the UK we are having around a 100 deaths a day from Covid. We are meant to be pleased that it's not escalating.

I've had both jabs but they are wearing off by now perhaps. Though I've been to the cinema, it's so far mainly empty -ish auditoriums, certainly not packed out.

There's some kind of suspenseful thing going on. Should I book early on, before an autumn or winter spike in Covid, before it gathers head? But if I do, the cinema will be packed out then.

But maybe it will still be packed out if I leave it a fortnight later?

I'll wear a mask in the theatre but which ones are the best? I almost feel like going the whole Dr No outfit. Added to which, it's a bloody long film.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• moneyofpropremoneyofpropre Posts: 38MI6 Agent

See the good side, the Bond 26 will be painfull as hell, if you die while watching NTTD, at least you won't experience this painfull experience.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,673MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

#Always look on the bright side of life# 😉

More seriously though, I've never pre-booked for a Bond film in the cinema before and I doubt that I will this time. I've seen all the Bond films in the cinema since Tomorrow Never Dies. I usually wait a little while until the initial mad rush has died down before going to see the new Bond film. It's more of a practical thing too as if you don't pre-book initially in the first week or more of release then you probably couldn't even get a seat anyway. Of course, it all depends on the capacity of the venue.

No doubt social distancing, if it still applies in cinemas will complicate the matter further. I'm not too well up on what the law currently requires as there have been so many changes to the regulations since the pandemic began. In any event I'm rather rusty on the whole experience as I've not visited the cinema to watch a film since 2017!

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,766MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

I doubt the vaccine has had the time to wear off significantly just yet. Have faith!

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,523Chief of Staff

This is true…after 6 months it drops to around 65% effective…still better than the flu jab 👍🏻

YNWA 97
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

My brother and I have seen every Bond movie since FYEO opening weekend in the theater. But that streak is going to end with NTTD. For starters, all the theaters in our immediate area closed down over the past 20 months as they could not survive the loss of business so just getting to a movie theater would be an adventure in and of itself. We're both fully vaccinated but there are still too many uncertainties in being in an enclosed space for an extended period of time, not to mention that we're also caregivers for our elderly mother and we could not in good conscience put her in a position where we might get something and then pass it on to her.

It's especially unfortunate as we're 3D fans and this is going to be the first Bond movie shown in 3D; normally that would have been enough for a day one trip. So we'll be waiting for the inevitable BluRay release on this one; hopefully they'll release a region free 3D version somewhere as well.

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

I might go to see the film after the opening weekend and the first rush of people has passed. I entertained the idea of seeing the film opening night, but a late afternoon physical therapy appointment will make that impossible. In addition, the last film I saw in a movie theater was back in February of 2020. It will be over 19 months when NTTD is released. I wouldn't really feel comfortable in the crowd.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,129MI6 Agent

@Napoleon Plural I feel your concern brother. I'll be wearing my FFP3 mask.

Myself and Mrs Red Kind went to a theatre a couple of weeks ago to watch a (postponed since spring 2020) stand up comedian. It was great to be out there again and the show was brilliant, but I think we were the only two people wearing masks.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

I won't be going to see the new Bond at a theatre. I've waited for the last couple to come out on DVD/streaming so will wait with this one too

The main reason isn't Covid though. The reason is that the film is so bloody long. I'll need the comfort of my own home for this one.

• caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,930MI6 Agent

good point about the bladderbusting runtime @Lady Rose . If I go I'll definitely be missing one or two bits, probably important exposition following the big action setpieces.

I've got some unused vacation days, so if I do go to the theatre it'll be a weekday matinee, maybe a couple weeks after the first rush.

It doesnt help that my local megaplex chain's website makes basic info so inscrutable. You need a password to find out the actual prices, and they have showtimes broken into these weird categories I can find no definition for! what is VIP 19+, or ultraAVX, or D-Box or Atmos?

actually I think I've had VIP 19+ explained to me before; you pay $10- extra for the privilege of ordering a beer in the theatre, and its a crappy mainstream pilsner that itself costs well over $10-. Might as well just pay the normal price (whatever that turns out to be) and sneak in a couple cans of quality craft beer of my own choosing.

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent

I'mm excited for the movie to be coming out soon. I myself probably won't see it opening night. Work will get in the way. I might wait until the second or third week of its theater run. I'll also go on a week day, most likely in the morning. I'm not to worried about the Covid thing. I've had both shots. I also work with the public. Its my understanding the theaters around here will block off seats around you automatically after you select your seat. I also believe every other row is closed off to promote social distancing. I can't confirm but have heard people talking about it.

Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Ahhh Caractacus...VIP 19+ doesn't just serve dubious brews to you in your seat but also overpriced food! - although befittingly for a Bond flic, I believe you can also have a Martini brought to you. However, the seats are almost-fully reclining and very wide. Sort of like Business Class in a moderate airline. Plus they're wider which comes in very handy when the bladder starts complaining about the poor suds at the most inopportune moment and you need to jiggle and wriggle through the gripping scene until a quieter part of the plot enables you to slip out to the facilities.

DBox is the seat that moves in coordination with the film. It vibrates, tilts forwards, backwards, etc etc. Somewhat amusing during a particularly boisterous chase scene, but overall not really worth the extra price...and annoying if you spill your beer in the process.

I believe Ultra AVX is just a big screen and a variety of Dolby sound.

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent

Do you have a link to that FFP3 Mask on Amazon? It's one use only, right?

I need something that really does the business. I think these masks are sold in boxes of 10 minimum or are they sold in the high street, Boots for instance? Will have to find out, and try one out in advance to be sure.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • IceQIceQ Posts: 298MI6 Agent

If you want a relatively covid safe screening looks like most of the midnight ones on first night/morning are pretty quiet still…

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Well I’m not having my second jab until 30 September, so won’t be seeing the movie anytime soon, maybe the end of October.

I don’t mind the additional wait, what’s a month after waiting 2 years after all! I suspect it’s going to be a struggle avoiding spoilers for the next month or so though.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,966MI6 Agent
    edited September 2021

I've booked to see NTTD on Sunday morning at 7.40am at the BFI IMAX in London, Waterloo. My thinking is that the venue is extraordinarily large, with a high ceiling, and that this particular screening probably won't fill up as much as others because of the unsociable hour. I'll be wearing a disposable FFP2 mask of the same type that I wear at work in a public service job and can only hope that the pricey admission (£27 per ticket) won't make any other pre-booking punter who's developed symptoms by Sunday morning think twice about doing the right thing and staying in bed. So I'm extending my personal tradition of having seen every Bond movie from DAF in the cinema during its original run.

This won't be quite my first trip to the cinema since lockdown #1. I'm also a fan of 'The Sopranos', despite not having revisited it for a few years, and I've booked for tomorrow evening to see its cinematic prequel, 'Princes Of Newark' at my local Odeon. I've chosen a roomy recliner on the end of a row with no seats either directly behind or in front. Hoping for the best, I doubt that, even at this smaller venue, the screening will be a particularly crowded one.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.

Maybe I should have done that? Myself, I just couldn't bring myself to do an early morning Bond - you might of course nab a glass of Champagne at the bar overlooking Waterloo station after....

That said, I went and booked a Monday. It's cheaper as it turned out - I'm dumb aren't I? That means it's gonna be fuller up.

Me, it's every film on its original run since The Spy Who Loved Me, but I reckon I'm not alone there. License To Kill on 34th St New York but it felt second or third fiddle to Batman, Lethal Weapon 2 and Indy & the Last Crusade, sort of an afterthought.

Many reviews for FFP3 masks slag them off in some way. Local chemists aren't selling them as they can't get the stocks.

This isn't the kind of excitement I want from a Bond film.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Hi @Shady Tree can you provide a link on Amazon to effective FFP£ facemarks - I mean the one you got?

The reviews I've seen a bit dodgy, or you have to pay £80 for a set of 40 or something. That's a lot to shell out for a Bond film.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,129MI6 Agent

Hi @Napoleon Plural Mrs Red Kind got our masks a while back in Italy and they fit well, so can't help with a decent supplier here I'm afraid. Agree that many on Amazon UK do get the thumbs down, but sometimes you just have to take a punt. It's a bit like a minority of poor restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor puts you off going, despite the majority saying it's pretty good. You could buy a few different ones just to spread your bets?

We're going this Friday evening. I booked a couple of weeks ago (first one to book and best seats in the house). I just prefer to see Bond (and other faves) on a Friday or Saturday evening as it just makes it more of an occasion. I knew it would get busy and on checking the screen and time slot again this morning I can see that's it's almost a full house. In a way, I'm quite happy about that as it should be a good atmosphere and a proper cinema experience, like we used to know.

We're going to a Vue cinema and they provide a refund policy if you or anyone in your group decides to drop out. I think this is great as it will help encourage anyone with Covid symptoms to think again about attending and get their money back without any fuss. My brother and his partner were supposed to go to the Chelsea Flower Show last Friday but he developed symptoms on Thursday so they decided to do the right thing and not attend (he had a PCR test next day and it was negative, so just a cold and he was fine by Sunday). However, when they contacted the organisers to obtain a refund, they were advised that refunds were only given to ticket holders that couldn't attend after proof of a positive Covid test! How the hell does this encourage people to do the right thing and stay away if symptomatic..😤

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Thanks @The Red Kind that's interesting.

I had these theories about how it might be best Covid-wise to go early on as only us Bond nerds who don't get out much will be there, so less likely to have Covid!

[b]On a side note, it is now autumn, unquestionably[b] (read the opening pages of OHMSS if you want to get in the mood). So it's best to ditch the summer gear and grab a pullover if you don't want to be on the Lemsip by the end of the week. Personally, there's always a time when I'm one step behind and doing the garden in shorts when it's now actually cold, red-wine and stew weather. You don't want razor blade throat the night before your Bond film, or to exhibit flu like symptoms in the cinema!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited September 2021

@Napoleon Plural I use these: Baltic Masks FFP2 Disposable Respirator Protective Face Mask 5 Layer Filtration System >95% (Carton of 10). All I know is that for work, in a busy environment mixing among unvaccinated youths, I've been wearing these since March and that so far - touch wood - together with other standard mitigating measures, I've been lucky enough not to catch anything (at least according to twice weekly lateral flow tests). How much that's to do with the masks I don't know, but they're tight against the face while feeling mostly comfortable (apart from some strain on the ears) and I can wear one for a few hours with no problem.

Thanks Shady, that's brilliant I've put in an order.

Do you change the filters at all?

'New material I don't need, I haven't changed my mask in 30 years...'

Roger Moore 1927-2017

No, they're single use, so I just dispose of them. I hope they work out for you, and enjoy the movie... I'm looking forward to seeing it on Sunday...

Yeah, enjoy it Shady. I'm seeing it next week.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Re @TonyDP @The Red Kind and @Lady Rose I saw the film today at the BFI Imax and thanks to @Shady Tree for his mask recommendation which I took up and used - just as well as though it was a weekday 1.30 showing it was pretty packed. I moved to a back row seat that was free because as usual I found the screen just too large otherwise.

It was the same seat we sat in when I took my late mother to see Spectre all those years ago at the same venue, sneaking her out of the care home, and she really enjoyed it.

My point on this is that in my view - and we all have our different views on the Bond films, we all know that - this film is absolutely not worth risking Covid for, in particular I mean you @TonyDP with your elderly mother - I personally didn't rate it at all.

I almost walked out a good part of the way in to the film because I just sat there thinking a) I'm not enjoying this and b) This is a massive Covid-risk. Most people did not wear masks and of course munching popcorn.

Roger Moore 1927-2017