No Time To Die in IMAX?

I was wondering if it is worth seeing in IMAX?

What are peoples thoughts? Worth the extra money?

(please try to avoid spoilers) Thanks!

Comments

• sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent

I am off to see it this afternoon at Leicester Square IMAX. IMO it is worth it on the basis alone that it will be probably another five years before we see a Bond movie again. It’s supposed to be the best so I am willing to spend the bit extra.

• apple8apple8 London,UKPosts: 140MI6 Agent

I went to the BFI IMAX, well worth the extra!

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

Ditto the extra screen space was brilliant - although the print was noticeably darker than the Royal Premier or Curzon. Is this a thing?

• apple8apple8 London,UKPosts: 140MI6 Agent

I’m going to rewatch at my local independent so be interested to see if it’s brighter

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent

I thought it looked amazing in Imax. I think it’s worth it for Bond.

Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent

I’ve seen it at my local Odeon on a very impressive screen with great sound and 20 hours later at the IMAX in Waterloo.

i think the film will hold up wherever you see it - and the sound system is probably as important as the screen.

I don’t recall being overly ‘blown away’ in the IMAX and discovering things I hadn’t seen earlier.

But each to their own.

Yes. Considerably.
  • IceQIceQ Posts: 298MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Didn’t see the IMAX advantage but will see when I view it on normal screen I guess, Dunkirk is I think the only film I’ve seen where it made a significant difference.

• sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent

Just back from watching at cineworld IMAX Leicester Square and I have to revise my previous comment. Wife kids and me all thought it was not worth it. No real difference and seating was some of the most uncomfortable I’ve experienced and it was cramped. We did not think they sound or picture was any better but each to their own that was just us. I honestly expected so much more.

• Thanks for all the feedback, it really has helped in my decision making process...

the IMAX theater is 1 1/2 hours away from me so that would be 3 hours drive time just to see the film, from what I've gathered, I've opted to see it

on an XD screen with reclining seats. The XD theater is only 10 minutes away from me so done deal! Thanks again fellas.

• MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent

I overdid it.. bought two tix to see the early release here stateside on Wednesday..... then tix to see it twice on Friday... been a loooooong wait so I wanted multiple options...

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,519Chief of Staff
    YNWA 97
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,966MI6 Agent

I saw it today at the BFI IMAX at London Waterloo - the 7.40am screening. For me it was worth the extra money to enjoy it on such a large screen, and the venue is so spacious that, at that time, I was able to seat hop to maintain safe social distancing from concentrations of others who were not wearing masks. The employee who introduced the movie with a reminder of the standard house rules amusingly laced her patter with witty Bond references.

Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

I saw Spectre at the IMAX at London Waterloo and thought it far far better than the showing at Odeon Leicester Square - but that distinguished Bond venue has since had a makeover and refurb that albeit makes it very pricey. Odeon L Square used to be THE place to see the new James Bond film. It isn't really now, not least because the film isn't premiered there any more but at the Royal Albert Hall.

Re the BFI IMAX LONDON WATERLOO venue however, imo it is ONLY worth going if you are in the very back row of the cinema. Today I got tickets for I think Row N or M - only three from the back - and just didn't enjoy the opening scenes because you can't really process the image, it's too big. Others obviously disagree as it was packed out. You used to get a cinema experience where you are looking UP at the screen. The Empire Leicester Square seemed to do that if I recall, and I attended the premiere of Titanic there all those years ago.

Luckily this time round I noticed a free seat in the very back row - indeed, where I took my Mum all those years ago, it's the wheelchair seating area though the seats aren't removed for that if nobody disabled has booked them, so I suppose it all might have been quite poignant.... Anyway, I relocated there.

Yet for all that, I'm not sure it is totally worth making a 90 minute journey to see the movie at the venue, not least cos I personally didn't rate the film (others disagree on the Review with Spoilers thread) but also because it seems to me the local Odeon venues often have had a bit of a reboot with lounge back seating making them more spacious, and a gradient so some tall person won't impede your view. Maybe yours has had a similar refurb?

Finally, the Imax today was packed out, Covid-wise. Few wearing masks from what I saw. But your local cinema - if like mine - will have most screens devoted to Bond showing all times of the day - so if you attend one of those it may be less full and less Covidy. Just have a word before you book to make sure you're getting one of the decent sized screens and not a small one.

Oh, but if you DO go to the BFI Imax Waterloo then Monday is the best day as it's cheap seats, about half price. Not sure if this applies all day, but certainly the 1.20pm showing. That does mean others are more likely to be there, Covid-wise of course.

I hate this new website I really do I can't see what the hell I'm writing sometimes because 'Cookie Policy' keeps popping up and I can't hit return and go down as it won't let me, anyway I'll leave it there!

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017