NTTD garage scene, jeans identification

Comments

• CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent

Very informative article!

Well done

• 405405 Posts: 119MI6 Agent

Anyone think the jeans could also be from RGT?

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

I completely agree! I had at one time about 20 James Perse t-shirts. Lost a bunch of weight, sold them. I own probably about 5 now. I have 3 of the John Varvatos t-shirts that DC was photographed in at some race. I’ve branched out though. I have a few by Cuts, Wyr, a bunch from Buck Mason (I highly recommend them) and I have several from Kohl’s for working out in.

I’ve Californication no less than 20 times. No exaggeration.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

one huge shiny tag

• TheExit148TheExit148 Posts: 562MI6 Agent

That is a really odd tag; one its massive, two the jacket looks like it is tucked behind it a bit. Could be because of the lo-res but its odd to say the least.

• canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

I don't think that's a patch. I think he has a folded piece of paper stuffed in his back pocket

Agree, seems like something in the back pocket.

edited October 2021

for a folded piece of paper it is a bit too centered. I think it is due to the poor resolution that it appears that way, you can also see the back pockets before and there is nothing stuffed in there in my eyes

I think the hem of the jacket is hiding the top of the paper in that 2nd photo @Noi . In the first photo, the jacket hem lies behind the paper. And it looks like the width of the paper is the same as the width of the pocket, which would explain why it looks centered. Also in the first photo, it looks like a piece of the paper has torn and is hanging over the pocket (you can see how it's making a shadow)

I'm not saying it's impossible for it to be a patch. But I've never seen a denim brand with a patch that huge, positioned that close to the top of the back pocket and/or attached that loosely (the stitching would have to be very far from the patch edge for it to look like that). And if it is leather, that top left corner is really curling.

But I also haven't seen the movie yet (going tomorrow), so I'm not really qualified to say yes or no since I haven't seen all this in live action. In other words, take my opinion with a big grain of salt. 😁

I played around with the lighting and some other settings on the photo, I think I have it figured out ...

edited October 2021

hahah you could be right

here are the last two pictures I have found from the scene, you can spot a rivet on the first one I guess

I thought that this "horiztontal" stripe (marked red by me) was the end of the back pocket why it looked empty to me but who knows, I have to admit that the "patch" looks very suspicous

I don't know if the scene of him pulling the cover off is one continuous shot or if there is an edit between the 3rd set of photos (him walking around the front of the car) and the 1st and 2nd sets you posted (him pulling the cover off). I agree with you that your red line is about where the top of the back pocket should be and it certainly doesn't look like there is anything in it.

But given the position of that brown block (patch/paper/whatever it is) in your 1st photo, it should be visible when he's walking around the car

If there is an edit in that scene, then I would say you've found a continuity error! 🍻

If there isn't an edit, then it can only be one weird as hell patch.

edited October 2021

no editiing, its one shot for sure, the jacket raises up when hes pulling off the the cover

• FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

More interestingly…where did those screen caps come from? I don't remember seeing them in any of the trailers?

But I haven’t watched many of them :-)

Yes. Considerably.

i found an insta post today but it got deleted

It looks like its only stitched on the top and bottom of the patch unless the lighting is playing a trick.

I've been looking at jeans all morning and none have patches this big on them.

I've gone through this link as well which is VERY substantial (possibly a bit outdated) and nothing seems to match; https://www.heddels.com/2014/06/the-complete-raw-denim-patch-collection/

They are for sure selvedge jeans, at least a 34 inseam based on the size of the cuff. No stitching on back pocket helps but there is A LOT of jeans that don't have anything there.

Based on the Daniel Craig interview that DZ did, its possible that they are a more "vintage" based jean from a Japanese maker or someone in the US. But they look pretty slim-straight so hard to tell. These will be hard to ID until the 4k bluray comes out haha

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

I guess the pirates are already out there, sadly.😞

"Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited October 2021

Well done!

We now have confirmation that these are:

- Dark navy selvedge jeans

- 34" inseam

- No metal piece on the pockets

- The tag remains a mystery

edited October 2021

The red arrows show a shadow.

It cannot be a tag IMHO.

Also, looks like there is something underneath the jacket ( green line)

Looks like a regular tag

Difficult to tell if it is leather or suede

I know this is going to sound a little crazy, but ...

Is there any chance the costume department just forgot to remove the paper hang tag from the back? If something like this

or this

were left on them, it would explain a lot.

(Note: I'm not saying the jeans are Levi's or Edwin; those are just examples of hang tags)

Could be an explanation

Also, I know we're all kind of fixated on the tag and the screen grabs are blurry, but I'm really surprised by the lack of stitching we can see around the pockets. Even with that lack of resolution, some lines of high contrast stitching should show up around the pocket edges. I think the stitching may be tonal rather than the traditional orange or yellow. Like this:

• SnorpleySnorpley Posts: 86MI6 Agent

@canoe2 speaking of crazy, I own just three pairs of jeans and you happened to grab images of 2 of them in the pics above. Spooky!

...a brother from Sydney
  • StormmauerStormmauer Posts: 121MI6 Agent

Having just watched the film, doesn’t look to be any edits. It looked like quite a shiny leather tag in my view!

• Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent

Could it be some type of leather holster?

• Really guys? I thought you were James Bond fans...

Gun Holster.

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

There's a whole lot of compression and artifacting going on in those captures, so I wouldn't put too much stock in the "details" of the images. Speculating is part of the fun, but if you've seen the movie, it's definitely not something in his pocket. It's a larger than average leather tag (shiny, not suede or matte).

And I'm not sure the shoes even turned up on screen in this scene 😂

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent

Although I expected more screen time for the RGT, I was quite happy in a way, as it will remain an almost hidden Bond lifestyle moment when wearing the jacket out and about, rather than feeling a little self conscious.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • CajunCajun Posts: 481MI6 Agent

Really? The hunt for that exact not-so-concealable holster begins then. 😆

I edit, therefore I am.