NTTD garage scene, jeans identification

Comments

• NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

nice shot!

hm besides of the missing (or not to be seen) horizontal stitching the tags on TF jeans are more square-ish whereas the tag on Bond jeans seems to be rectangular if you ask me

i would be thankful if its not TF tbh...spending another $600-700 on jeans hurts

• Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent

Yeah I had the same thought but without a clear pic its hard to know how rectangular his tag really is. If its as rectangular as it appears in those blurry pics then we can probably safely rule out Tom Ford. That, and the shape of the back pockets don't really match TF the more I look.

Yeah, TF jeans are great but for the price I'd rather not again.

• drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

The left side of the tag also lines up with the stitching on the left side of the back pocket. That should start to help narrow down brands.

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

Sorry folks this was the only shot I could manage getting. I’ll be hitting anything showing here in a bit. I’ll effort getting another one if I can.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • bondfan10bondfan10 Posts: 79MI6 Agent

Could be totally wrong here. But to me it looks like the AG Jeans in their Tellis?

I was thinking about this too. I own a pair and it looks similar. Not 100% sure that it is, but not sure it isn’t either.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Think I got them. An Acne Studios model from 2018/19: North Skinny Fit Jean

Some clear clues thanks to @JTullock23 's great (sneaky) photo:

1. Big, plain back patch (as I said, that will darken pretty quick with washing). The bottom of the patch sits close to the back horizontal seam. And that pink Acne tag cis perforated so it can torn off. EDIT: Sorry, just realized the patch on the Acne is paper with a leather effect pattern. Not sure if that disqualifies these. Acnes new version of this model does use a thicker leather patch in natural leather, but it has embossed writing on it. Not sure when it switched from paper to leather. Here's a photo of the newer patch:

1. Larger back pockets with a very similar shape and no decorative stitching across them
    2. Dark orange stitching (I am very certain I saw this, even though it's not really showing up in the screen grab)
    3. That little bit of contrast tack stitching in the top corners of the pockets
    4. And a big one: only has a centered belt loop (no belt loop close to the patch)

They're a selvedge denim, slightly slubby texture, made in Italy. Imagining some distressing work done by the costume department and they're as close a match as I can find. And they're still available at Acne and Nordstrom (looks like they're a stock model for them; but they now use a thicker leather patch with the brand name embossed on it):

What do you guys think?

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

Nope.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

Is that a definitive "Nope" because you know what he wore? (not asking you to share the brand). Or a "nope" because you can see something that doesn't match?

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent

The patch on the jeans he wears is much darker than the jacket. Your candidate jeans have a patch much lighter than the jacket and a different material too.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Bond_AmbitionsBond_Ambitions Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 459MI6 Agent

John, those are by far the closest we've seen so far but I don't think they're quite right.

The shape of the pockets of the Acne 18/19 north jeans pockets looks taller and more 'elongated' than Bond's. Although I could be wrong here.

As Drum007 points out here, the left edge of the tag is in line with the left edge of the right pocket. Granted, Bond is leaning far forward and reaching to his left, which might be pulling the tag further to the left in alignment with the pocket. If he were standing normally perhaps the tag would be slightly over to the right. However we don't see any major wrinkles or distortion in the fabric, which suggests the tag is in the same position it would be if he were standing normally. The Acne jeans' tag doesn't match with Bond's in this way.

Also I'm not sold on the idea that Bond's jeans are a skinny fit. To me they look closer to slim, tapered or even maybe straight fit.

What IS perfect about the Acne jeans is: fabric, colour, pocket stitching details, middle back belt loop.

-----------------------

Worth mentioning again, Bond's Jeans have a little grey circle right below the front left pocket. Probably a rivet.

Yeah, I completely agree about the paper patch in those first photos being wrong. I went back and added an edit to the post to show the newer thicker leather patch they use. I'm just not sure when they made the change. As for the leather patch color: I wouldn't worry too much about that. Natural leather changes color to a deep orangy brown when it gets conditioned or oiled.

An example: I have this Billy Kirk bag in Natural Leather. It looked like this when it was new:

And this is what is looks like now:

So any distressing done by the costume department is going to impact the leather color, most likely making it darker.

Acne also does slim and slim straight models with the same make-up.

The edge of the patch lining up with the pocket: yes it looks like it comes very close in the screen grab. The only brands I've come across with a patch positioned like that are 3sixteen (but they almost always use double belt loops at the middle back)

and Unbranded Brand (which @MrE mentioned first; there are more examples on the 1st page of the thread)

Obviously, there are plenty of others out there I just haven't seen.

Anyway, I think I'll be packing it in on this search for a while. Going a little denim crazy 😂

Cheers!

• drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent

Great work, John! Your efforts, along with others, are certainly getting us closer to the answer. This is a lot of fun! 🍸️

• CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent

Thank you John for your precious help.

I maybe wrong, but the label doesn't have stitches on the sides.

I think the Acne jeans are too tight at the bottom.

I also saw orange stiching.

The alignment of the pocket and the tag can be misleading

• Obi Sean KenobiObi Sean Kenobi Posts: 215MI6 Agent

The jeans are Adriano Goldschmied (“AG”) raw selvedge in the Dylan cut.

Still available on the AG website.

DC is a big AG fan and routinely wears AG Graduates.

best,

OSK

• Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

If these are indeed them please I beg of you AJB members, please make sure to do some research on Raw Denim because there is most definitely a process unlike buying any regular or even selvedge jeans. Often times buying sizes that you might not normally be so that you can factor in the amount the raw denim will shrink or stretch out. Also with the soaking etc to make sure they don’t bleed out like an indigo crime scene when you first wear them. Not knocking raw denim but there’s definitely steps you absolutely must take before wearing Raw denim.

• SevenSeven Posts: 346MI6 Agent

How are you that sure about the Dylan?

Are you sure they are that skinny?

Couldn‘t they be Tellis?

Can you share with us the steps we should follow?

Shall we size up or size down ?

Thank you

• Could also be the jack wash...it's also very dark blue. It has tonal pocket detailing though.

I'll try to pay attention when I see the movie tomorrow.

I would hate to mess any steps up as I honestly have steered clear of raw denim bc its just a bit much for me so honestly there’s so many better experts on youtube but the cliff notes version is you have to find out if they are sanforized or unsanforized, do they stretch out, how much do they shrink because they will and greatly after the soak so adjusting size to that and then the initial soaking/rinse of them before wear and how to go about that. Honestly Im not an expert and at the price of most raw denim, checking out a couple reddits or short youtubes would def help. Just dont want any Bond fans not knowing what they are getting into and them fitting/looking completely different after a month or 2 of wear.

The point of raw denim after all that is that it produces petina type wear that makes unique creases, fades, and indigo color changes over time. Downside, you arent really supposed to wash them but once every blue moon and barely. Its very cool and all, just not for me. I prefer mine to stay their color as long as possible and personally I just cant not wash my jeans for a year, but I certainly understand why people do get into raw denim.

edited October 2021

@Cg23 is almost 100% correct. People often confuse "raw" with "unsanforized". Sanforization is basically the process of pre-shrinking denim before it's made into jeans. Almost all denim is sanforized (including raw denim) so unless the product description specifically states "unsanforized" or "shrink to fit" you can assume the jeans are pre-shrunk. However you can still expect the jeans to shrink about 2-3%. They'll usually stretch out a little again with wear.

Raw means the denim hasn't had any other treatments like washes or faux distressing. It's usually very dark, very stiff and the indigo dye will bleed (so no white couches!).

Almost all of my jeans are raw and sanforized (I have 6 or 7 pairs of different weights from various makers). I do soak them when I get them, both to remove some of the excess dye and dial in the fit. After that I wash them inside out in cold water with a little Woolite Dark about every 2 months (depending on how often I've worn them).

This article from Heddels is a really good guide

But all of this is really only as complicated as you want to make it. Focus on a good fit for you from the start and don't worry too much about shrinking and stretching and all that. Raw denim is more about the unique fades you can get than anything else. So you just have to wear them alot and wash them only when they really need it.

I just called the local AG store here. Spoke to the manager Jordyn. I sent here the really good photo that I took and posted here. I inquired about them being the Dylan or the Tellis. She said if they are in fact AG Jeans, which she believed them to be, that they are without a doubt their Raw AG Jean in the Tellis, not the Dylan, as the the Tellis is the only ones they sell that have no stitching on the back pockets. I’m not saying this is 100% confirmation that these were the ones in the movie. I’m just repeating what she told me. I plan on going over there tomorrow to try them on. For those curious, they are pre-shrunk or sanforized. Hope this helps!

• JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent

Just had a look at the Dylan and Tellis on the AG site—they look the same stitching wise?? Seems like their only difference is the fit—Dylan slim skinny and Tellis slim.

https://www.agjeans.com/dylan-1139GAURAW.html

https://www.agjeans.com/tellis-1783GAURAW.html

Yes, you’re right. I mentioned that to her. She said that the Dylan does not have stitching on the pockets. I don’t own a pair of Dylan’s so I cannot say for certain. I do own a pair of Tellis. They are great and have no stitching on the pockets. Since the photos aren’t consistent with what she said thats why I said I wasn’t confirming with 100% certainty that they are the Tellis. I hope to find out more tomorrow.

Thank you CG23 and John for your answers and clarification.

Are we sure these are AG jeans?

• bondfan10bondfan10 Posts: 79MI6 Agent

Is it possible to find out if AG Jeans sent out a number of these or any jeans to the production/costume department?

• frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent

I'm not at all convinced they're AG jeans. Not Tellis (but in the ballpark) and especially not Dylan. They just don't look right - not the finish, color, or the cut. I'm team Unbranded Brand in tapered cut.

• One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people said there was no way they could be the TF jeans in (slim fit) in Cuba, and sure

enough they ended up being the slim fit. I wouldn't assume anything.

Im all for wanting SA, but when it came to the jeans particularly if they are the exact same jeans just different fits then Im going with what fits me best. Now if there were visable differences, then I have no problem getting the pair he wears and just tailoring them to fit me better. Jean alterations arent ever really that bad anyway, after all we get them to wear them and you know they tailor every single bit of everything on screen. I am a bit surprised they would use a pair of raw denim instead of just a nice selvedge and for that little screen time regardless of what was cut.

• frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

The TF jeans were confirmed as slim fit? I missed that.