NTTD garage scene, jeans identification

Comments

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

You’re right some of their jeans do have the wild detail on the patch. The patch detail is so difficult to see at that theater on the big screen because it is so quick. There may be other brands that have that type of detailing on the side pocket, but N&F are the only brand I know that has it.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC

@canoe2 Here is a pic I found online of a used pair of N&F Jeans. If you zoom in you can see the detail on the patch. Kind of consistent with what we see in the film, in my opinion.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

That's definitely one of the more worn and faded examples of their patches that I've seen. Usually the graphics are much clearer and easy to make out. That's one of the main reasons I eliminated N&F from the start.

But as I said before, we don't really know how much distressing the costume department did to the jeans to break them in for the film. It's certainly possible whatever they did faded the patch as well.

And, as you said, we only really get a flash of the patch in the movie (plus changes caused by the lighting, filters, etc.). Using your photo (which is by far the clearest and cleanest look we have of the back of the jeans), a part of the patch could possibly match the N&F patch:

I'm still just reluctant to say that's them 100%. Selvedge edge coin pockets really aren't that rare (and I honestly don't remember seeing that feature). And I would swear the patch was plain (although the old eyesite ain't what it used to be 😁) and what we see in your screen grab is just distortion from taking the pic in a dark cinema. On the other hand, some key details match up and N&F is certainly easily available in the UK (where I'm assuming the jeans were purchased). So a pair like these ones could fit the bill:

At this point this search is almost becoming a type of Rorschach test 😂 If that's them, then congratulations!

• Naked and Famous is the company I'm talking to.

They said they did not work directly with the production team so they can't say for sure.

They also have a lot of different cuts and colors and fabric weights.

I'm almost positive I've got the exact style, cut, and weight.

The only bad news is that it's already sold out in most sizes.

Waiting for more confirmation.

• NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

interesting that you described it as a plain tag, when I saw this scene for the first time I thought that this tag seems to have some little details on it. However I cant remember a selvedge pocket edge either but that has nothing to say due that dark light

edited October 2021

Well What's Daniel Wearing just claimed they're Naked and Famous, identified by "Some eagle eyed detectives on a well known James Bond forum"

@Noi as I said, the old eyesight ain't what it used to be 😁

I don’t disagree with you about the distressing and such. Time will tell. Once we get the 4K DVD we’ll likely be able to tell better.

I’d seen what appears to be the Selvedge edge on the coin pocket on my 3rd viewing, but wanted to wait to see it a couple more times to be sure.

WhatsDanielWearing literally just posted this:

Sorry for the slow post that hit after the others above. I’m in a weak signal area so it took forever for it to post.

edited October 2021

No worries. And for it's worth, I personally think you and Mr.E should get the credit and recognition for the excellent detective work 👏👏🍸🍸

Edit to add: When I next update the Selvedge denim post on IA I'll make sure you both get a shout out for your efforts

• They are NOT the dirty fade selvedge in weird guy cut.

That is kind of you.

I suppose one of the cool things about Unbranded being a cousin company of sorts I wonder if we can get a pair of those easier than N&F.

• @JTullock23

Good job, by the way for spotting the brand before I announced it, hat's off to you!

• And I agree, unbranded brand makes for a great alternative.

Just as 7 for all mankind has a lot of cuts and colors, so does naked and famous.

That's why I'm holding off on announcing the exact make and model. I hate it when people do that and everyone ends up buying the wrong thing.

We also have to remember that these are a model from F/W 2018/19 or S/S 2019. And N&F likes to change up their denim. Just a guess, but I would think something like an 11oz indigo stretch selvedge in Weird or Easy Guy fit would make sense.

One nice thing about unbranded is their denim selection tends to be more consistent. So as everyone is saying they're a good and more affordable alternative.

• When I bought unbranded brand back in the day, I had to go up a size for their 100% raw selvedge.

Did you find that to be the case for you as well canoe2?

• Mattia De VartiMattia De Varti ItalyPosts: 488MI6 Agent

Personal experience having seen the movie more than once. I think those COULD actually be a more suitable match, but I could absolutely be wrong...

"Stretch Selvedge | Naked & Famous Denim" https://www.nakedandfamousdenim.com/en/stretch-selvedge

That 'striped' motif they have is a far better match in my opinion. As well as the reddish leather tag on the back

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent

The striations do give a slight Mercer effect.

If you zoom into the screenshot of post 197 it does look like the N&F logo on the tag, right down to the darker Naked and Famous bubble above the woman.

Thanks for the impression. Than I'll stay with my suggestion, let's see if it turns out to be right🤞

Yes, in their 14oz UB201 I went up a size. A little heavier weight denim and no stretch. And Unbranded used to have a slightly lower rise (same as the N&F Weird Guy fit) and I like have a little "breathing room" up top 😁 Although I think both brands have changed the fit to give them a slightly higher rise (my UBs are about 4 years old and my N&Fs are their 22oz elephant denim and about 5 years old)

I would also agree to this as this model has the slub texture which can be seen on craigs jeans in my eyes, N&F describes this colour with "Indigo x White"

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2021

Good news. If it turns out that I'm right, and it's the exact style and model that I think it is, it is part of their core collection,

so it will keep coming back in future seasons. They have had to shut their factory down a few times though due to Covid

and being produced in Canada, so they say they are experiencing shortages from time to time. I'll update with more info soon.

• frommeyerfrommeyer ChicagoPosts: 418MI6 Agent

That's really, really great to hear. I'd love to buy five or six pairs and be set for life on Bond jeans.

• It's also nice to not have a $790 tom ford price tag attached to them.

Might be tempted to save you some work 😅 and state with more certainty the model I pointed out is the correct one, but you wouldn't believe me would you?

• Mattia De Varti,

Sorry if I missed what you said, which cut did you say it is?

Stretch selvedge, like the one I posted above

edited October 2021

probably the dylan cut 🙄

boy that comment, I was going to pull the trigger...

anyway great work, the community amazes me more and more. to track done the correct brand just from the little details is kind of unbelievable, this board is like a swarm intelligence :d

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent

I see the stretch selvedge jeans have elastane in them. Does anyone know how much they shrink from the unwashed measurements on their size guide? I'm usually a 32.

• They are going to stretch out about half an inch after repeated wear even though they have 2% elastane. Raw selvedge denim can be tricky.

It will also feel stiff at first.

Naked and Famous have many different fits. I can post the exact color/style/fabric and model (and even fit) that's in NTTD, but again, as with the tom ford jeans, I recommend going with the fit that suits your body type best.

PS Mattia De Varti is not far off.