Matera / Gravina - any tips?

FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent

Soooooo…a ‘lifestyle’ more than clothing question…(COVID Fit To Fly test results willing!) I’m heading to Matera early on Thursday for 4 days.

I know I need to head up to Gravina for the bridge but any hints/tips/advice from any of you who have been there?

Yes. Considerably.

Comments

• jacekalanjacekalan GdyniaPosts: 73MI6 Agent

Once you are in Gravina, the bridge is fairly easy to find. 4 days for Matera is more than enough. I was able to visit every movie location in one day. I've made a Google Map with all the points of interest in Matera regarding NNTD. I can share it with you :)

• kristopherm3kristopherm3 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

I'd love to see this too. Would be grateful for a share!

• FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent

Wow!

That would be very kind of you Jacekalan! What’s the best way for you to share it?

Matera is steeped in ‘non-Bond’ history, so I want to make time to take that in as well.

Yes. Considerably.
  • johnraidersjohnraiders Posts: 97MI6 Agent

Same here would love to see the map.

Also full report after your 4 days, where you’d stayed, transport etc please

With pleasure. If anyone is interested please PM me your email address. I will try to update it with a description of the locations, but once you visit them, you will instantly recognise them. Most of them are very near each other. Only the 'graveyard' (actually a mixture of both Gravina and Matera) is on the opposite side of Matera and a greater distance has to be covered, because there is no bridge to cross, unlike in the film ;)

Thank you Jacek for your messages and the map - that is very kind of you and will add to my trip incredibly!

Yes. Considerably.
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent

I'm in Italy, not far away next summer (hopefully) so would be interested in the map too. Defo going across for a day....

M

Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • IceQIceQ Posts: 298MI6 Agent

Matera and Gravina are stunning, was there last summer, enjoy! If you want a holiday read I recommend ‘Christ stopped at Eboli’ about the area during fascism. I stayed at Palazzo del Duca which is built in the caves, was amazing, loads of great food and things to see.

Great pics IceQ - even more excited now!

Yes. Considerably.

Few pictures from my collection

• SnorpleySnorpley Posts: 86MI6 Agent

Amazing photos, guys!

Looks like another world!

...a brother from Sydney
  • sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent

We stayed in place called Casa Diva, great location and the kids loved it as we had massive double room with hot tub down in the cave area. Material was probably highlight of our trip especially as we’d got to see some of NTTD being filmed. Have a great time!

Crikey - this place is incredible!

I do understand that you could ‘do it in a day’ but I am so happy I have time to relax in to it. Headed to the bike stunt area yesterday - honestly, it is terrifying when you see how high that jump is in real life.

Just finished breakfast so figured it’s the right time to go and pay my respects to an old flame…it’ll be a long walk as somebody appears to have moved the bridge! 😬

Yes. Considerably.
    Yes. Considerably.

Very nice.

QQ…has this location been identified?? I mean, it could be any one of a thousand streets in Matera…

Yes. Considerably.
  • lippelippe Posts: 134MI6 Agent

A link to the Google Map would be much appreciated

Almost certain that is here - there should be some statues on the right as you go up steps https://goo.gl/maps/qMYMCTxHo8rYzDjD9

And here is the bridge and graveyard Puente Gravina In Puglia

https://goo.gl/maps/pqRgqKfViwbqtGNo7

edited October 2021

Grazia IceQ - I actually stumbled across it this morning with the (excellent!) guide I had. Hadn’t realised I’d walked down the steps on the first day…doh!

Very appropriate for Bond and Madeleine to walk those steps because of the significance of the steps in the city’s history. It was one of the first places in 1914 to have a pump/tap where you could get fresh water higher in the Sassi. That is why the statues (which were removed for the filming) show a beautiful girl at the pump, being admired by young menfolk - it was basically a potential meeting spot for couples! 😀

Yes. Considerably.

Donut Square looks a little less intimidating today…

Yes. Considerably.

Donut square 😂

Rainy late afternoon in Matera - so what to do?? Go and watch No Time To Die at the cinema where they premiered it here the day before general release in the UK!

Now, it was in Italian - and my Italian is limited to si; grazia; prego and Inter Milan…but I loved every single minute of it watching it for the 3rd time. Clearly watching it in Matera was a lot of fun - the locals cheered and whooped at every turn of their city / area. It was a very enjoyable experience as it, clearly, poured down outside.

Even their cinema is pretty spectacular! 😉

Another thing I loved - NO adverts! Straight in to the film on time.

Yes. Considerably.