Sunspel or O.B?

Hi folks, I'm after a few t-shirts & wanted to know which was the better of these two brands? (Quality / fit , etc.)

Thanks.

Comments

• JTullock23JTullock23 ArizonaPosts: 552MI6 Agent

Hey Dex. I assume you only want to stay within these two because they have relation to Bond, right? Are you open for other options outside these two that do not have Bond ties? Just curious.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • DexDex Posts: 28MI6 Agent

I'm open to any brand really , but wanted to add a couple of bond items to the wardrobe so to speak.

• 405405 Posts: 119MI6 Agent

I have a few from both brands and I much prefer the OB-Ts. I find them more comfortable and they fit me better. One thing to be aware of is I notice the OBTs fit slimmer than Sunspel in the body. I also find the OBTs to be lighter weight material.

• MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent

I own plenty of both.. it’s a toss up for sure.. other brands to consider are Varvatos.. (also a Bond clothing connection) and consider James Perse too..

• DexDex Posts: 28MI6 Agent

Thanks for the advice so far fellas, much appreciated.

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

Sunspel all day long.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Cg23Cg23 Posts: 242MI6 Agent

Worth considering Ob-t very thin. Soft but pretty thin. Not sure if that matters, but figured Id throw that detail in there

• km1fdmkm1fdm USAPosts: 211MI6 Agent

Sunspel is thicker and seems to be higher quality cotton to me.. OB very soft and thin, and I wear one size larger than my sunspel size due to the slimmer cut.

I agree with MFisher, John Varvatos is a great choice. My go to is James Perse. I own several. Best bang for the buck I think is Buck Mason’s t-shirts. But, my favorites are hands down James Perse.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC
  • TroyIkedaTroyIkeda Los Angeles Posts: 231MI6 Agent

Sunspel is quite nice, I wear the Riviera T shirts and they are a slightly heavier weight, but my absolute favorite shirts are James Perse Lotus T shirts…they are amazingly soft, easily washed and tumble dried and the fit is fantastic. On the pricey side, but I feel are really worth it. 100% cotton, but feels like a cashmere-silk blend. Really amazing stuff. Of course you can go TF, but for $320 a shirt, I’d rather get a couple JP. Just my 2 cents.

• Alex006Alex006 Posts: 156MI6 Agent

Just a word of warning, if you even have a hint of a belly, the slim fit OB really accentuates it. I'd recommend going the standard line if that's the case.

Also, I used to like Sunspel, but the quality IMO nosedived in the years after CR. I stopped buying their stuff after 2013, so in all fairness, maybe their stuff has gotten better? Regardless, just know that most of their tees are not dryer friendly due to a plastic lining in the shoulders (unless that's been changed).

I'd second James Perse. Heck, I'd even recommend Mark's and Spencer's. Can't go wrong there...

• NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent
    edited October 2021

interested in those James Perse Shirts as I have never heard of that brand. they get a lot of recommendation. how do they fit in comparison to OB for instance? when I'm a Medium in OB am I a Medium in JP? ty...or maybe I will search their sizing chart :d

edited October 2021

You won't regret it.

They use a different system for sizing. Instead of S,M,L,etc, they go 0,1,2,3... More or less the same thing though, 0 is small, 1 is medium, etc.

And it kinda depends, as with everything else. I'd look at their sizing chart, and just order a couple sizes and return whatever doesn't fit, if that's an option. But to give you an idea, I'm about a 38 with a 32 waist, and a 1 fits me perfectly, about the same as a small Rag and Bone henley...

Also note that depending on what fabric you get, you might need to downsize. For example, almost everything I have is a 1, but I have a couple in 0 as they use a more slouchy, Japanese fabric.

Just depends on how you prefer the fit.

• NoiNoi Posts: 705MI6 Agent

thank you for the detailed answer, I think I will follow your advice and order several sizes and see what fits

Here is a bit more info on James Perse Tees

I find that James Perse Tees are a little more true to size. They aren’t slightly as slim as it sounds OB are. The Luxe Lotus (MELJ in their coding and retails at $165USD) ones are the second best feeling article of clothing I’ve ever put on my body. Their Elevated Lotus Jersey Lounge Tee (MEL and retails for $195USD) is the absolute best feeling article of clothing I’ve ever put in my body. I cannot explain the level of comfort. Like Troy said they are like silk and cashmere feel, but all cotton. Simply amazing! It would blow your mind how comfortable this thing is. I have one of their Clear Jersey (MCJ) t-shirts. They are a bit thinner than the JP Lightweight Jersey (MLJ). They are extremely light and airy. You’ll feel like you aren’t wearing a shirt. These can be slightly see through. But just slightly. I own a grey and you cannot see my skin through it, but a white you might. I own more, about 5. of the Lightweight Jersey t-shirts. They are more like your typical t-shirt all cotton tee, but much nicer. Their Heather Grey option is a great OB-T ‘budget’ option. The Heather Grey is (MHE) and feel slightly different than the other MLJ tees, but not vastly different. The MLJ comes in a myriad of colors. These are sold year round. The CLJ are usually sold around spring and summer.

I also agree with Alex that you may wanna size down in the MCJ, MELJ and MELS. I failed to add the S to the Elevated Lotus Jersey Tee

• MFisherMFisher Posts: 746MI6 Agent

I’ve picked up a number of Perse T’s off Poshmark etc.. (for next to nothing actually). First Heard- of them from watching Californication, as that was what Moody’s go to black T’s we’re..

Hear, hear! Now there's a man who really knows his James Perse!