Drake Crosby Moc-Toe Chukka Boot - Sizing

I picked up a pair of the Drake Crosbys in my normal size, 9.5 UK, but they were like an 8.5, couldn't get them on. If anyone else has had this issue , and replaced with a larger size, did they go a full or half size up ? Drakes seem to be good with exchanges but i'd defer to any advice ?

Comments

• llvhhuillvhhui Posts: 81MI6 Agent

Mine was my normal size, no issues there. Same sizing as my CJs. Seems true to size to me.

• 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent

I went half size up on my cnj

Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • cederic0011cederic0011 UKPosts: 181MI6 Agent

These have definitely got smaller over the seasons. I have 3 pairs now …( not all in the same colour). I normally take 9.5 U.K.

I am having same issue of sizing up to either 10UK or 10.5Uk and have both sizes currently and still working out which to return. The original 2019 had amazing fit and comfort. I think choice though will depend on shape of your foot. The 10.5 U.K. on me are marginally too long, but the extra length marginally shifts the widest point of the boot!

Year of purchase, size and measurements might help !

2019 : 9.5 U.K. length 31.5cm width 11.3cm

2020: 9.5 U.K. length 31.2 width 11cm

The 9.5 U.K. in 2021 version no longer fits me ( I returned before measuring)… measurements below for

10 U.K. length 31.1cm width 11cm

10.5 U.K. length 31.7cm width 11.1cm

Not sure this helps… you might need to order both to be sure!! Returns are straightforward.

• k5211k5211 UKPosts: 164MI6 Agent

Thanks Cederic

Very interesting, same issue. I just got the 10 having returned the 9.5 (which were like a size under) the 10 are snug in thin socks, but I figure they are a summer shoe/they might have some give in them. Like you I have considered the 10.5 but don't want clown shoes. Did your Crosby start to loosen up ? £300 is a lot for shoes that don't fit isn't it. Appreciate your response

• cederic0011cederic0011 UKPosts: 181MI6 Agent

From my previous pairs, I don't remember there being a lot of give with wear, but at least they are suede. The original version were like putting on slippers - perfect! Unfortunately nothing quite matches that original high hurdle! I'm sticking with the 10 and hoping that they will be ok!

• xzther13xzther13 Posts: 14MI6 Agent

SAME HERE, I thought it was just me. I love this shoe, so sad they changed something. I have owned 3 pairs so far since 2018? Two dark brown and one snuff suede. I recently bought two more in 7UK my normal size as my others and it definitely felt more snug. I even emailed drakes if they had changed there last shape and they said no. Three differences I noticed on the newer pairs were the height of the new shoe was cut slightly shorter about .25" inches and this new pair also had a full length padded insole? In my older pairs only the heel area is padded. The new pairs also only have one line of stitch on the vamp area, while the older pairs had two.

• xzther13xzther13 Posts: 14MI6 Agent

I am probably going to go with the same route and pick up a 7.5UK now, 1/2 size up from my old size

• GomersGomers Posts: 61MI6 Agent

Have just sent you a PM regarding this, interested to get an update from you.

• k5211k5211 UKPosts: 164MI6 Agent

Just as a note, I also had to buy shoes that were a full size larger than I normally run and I could probably go and a size and a half to be honest. The Guys at Drakes, in fairness, were not aware of the odd shoe sizing, but my own size was, essentially mislabelled. They should seriously consider re-sizing the stock as returning could be pricey for some. Nice boots

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent

I visited Drake's last month and personally tried the Crosby on in order to be sure of this (and picked a SPECTRE bowtie, a long-awaited purchase since Royal Mail and Spain's Correos jointly managed to lose AND destroy one purchased from a fellow member a few years ago). Barrington was a delight to deal with, and this is what I gathered:

I am a EUR 43/ US 10/ UK 9-9-5 (depending on the manufacturer) shoe size. Size 9 (UK) fit me perfectly in store, but I was told that "real" size 9 would be classified as a size 9.5 in their website for whatever reason. As I will be ordering my pair later this year (due to not having space in my luggage at the time of visiting) that's what I would go for. I strongly suggest giving them a ring before placing an order so as to avoid having to return your pair for a size change. Hope it helps.

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."

I've just received the Crosby (Brown) and the Astorflex Dukeflex (Dark Chestnut) yesterday. Both ordered online so the sizing was a bit of a lottery to be honest. Went for UK10 in the Astorflex and UK10.5 in the Crosby.

For reference I'm usually 9.5 - 10 in C&J boots. The Crosby feels smaller than the Astorflex and fits me better as a result, there seems to be more room in the Astorflex. To summarise sizing, IME the Crosby runs half size small (possibly due to the downward sloping of the instep to toebox area), the Astorflex a half-size too big (which is complicated more by the fact that the Astorflex doesn't come in half-sizes) 🙄

From a styling POV, as to which boot I prefer, it's the Crosby which surprised me (rather annoying as well, see below). I thought I'd like the more 'bootish' structure of the Astorflex. Colour wise, the Crosby is the darker of the 2.

Value - well, there is no way on this earth that the Crosby is worth the asking price, end of. It appears nicely made but as with most of these types of boot, the 'unfinished' style of the crepe sole lends them a bit of a 'rustic' quality that makes the Astorflex the better value proposition, although I feel this is also at the upper end of pricing for what you're getting. Waiting in the wings of course is the Berwick 1707 Apron boot that appears far superior value to either, although I've not tried them.

Will try them on again this weekend with more time but at the moment the Crosbys have it. If the Astorflex was available in half sizes, then that may well change things, missed a trick there IMO, I think the UK9 would be a tad snug.

I’ve had a bit of an about-turn here, the Drakes’ have been returned.

Had more time over last weekend trying both and definitely came out liking the Astorflex more. The feeling of slightly more room and the overall appearance, together with them being half the price of the Crosby won me over.

I do feel they are different enough that owning both would work but the asking price of the Crosby is not, by any means inconsequential. Also there’s the whisper that Astorflex make the Drakes, who then double the price.

Very happy with my decision and my refund means I can maybe get a different colour.