Bond’s Jamaican villa

TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent

Just stumbled across this, lots of great pictures of Bonds villa, along with other sets. The villa shots are the most comprehensive ive seen, showing loads of details of lifestyle, books etc so loads more props for us to hunt… annoyingly there’s another hat, a Panama or fedora… just don’t tell @MrE :)

Comments

• SnorpleySnorpley Posts: 86MI6 Agent

This is fantastic @Tennyson . Thanks for sharing.

...a brother from Sydney
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,126MI6 Agent

Regarding props from these pics, I managed to (probably) ID the monocular recently, if anyone is interested;

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/54497/nttd-monocular#latest

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • CajunCajun Posts: 483MI6 Agent

Home run, thanks for sharing.

I edit, therefore I am.
  • IceQIceQ Posts: 298MI6 Agent

Such a good article!

• _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent

Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing.

Ok, so I need that lamp and those rattan chairs and that rug and….

Murder | Employment.
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent

Thanks for sharing that @Tennyson! So much info!

Hate to self promote, but I wrote an article back in April on alternatives for some of the pieces in Bond's house (including those chairs):

Of course I'll need to update it now that we have more details on all the pieces.

Cheers!

John

• OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent

I really like how many books they put in Bond's villa.

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • NorchaNorcha Posts: 148MI6 Agent

Really good article,thanks for sharing.Some Bowers&Wilkins speakers there.

• TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

This has just popped up on my Youtube feed, a short BTS video with more Jamaica villa stuff..

watch

again lads of inside shots, like the fact he is fixing an outboard engine in his kitchen. I can also see he likes marmite.. really... 🤢

• Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,151MI6 Agent

Nice find! (and more bloody books to collect!)

Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • redsleighdownredsleighdown USAPosts: 450MI6 Agent
    edited December 2021

More bond shirts, technically

Edit: And in the laundry basket

• IceQIceQ Posts: 298MI6 Agent

book on table is Alan Watts - Reading the Weather, modern techniques for yachtsmen.

also visible: sarsons malt vinegar, hp sauce, a bialetti Mokka coffee maker another anglepoise lamp

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent

That photo makes six Panama (or at least straw) hats in Bond's house...

• Royale-les-EauxRoyale-les-Eaux LondonPosts: 820MI6 Agent

I like to think the Marmite is a wry nod to the audience reaction to the plot! 😁

• km1fdmkm1fdm USAPosts: 211MI6 Agent

Everything in Bonds house would be ruined any time there’s a hard rain, wouldn’t it? No real climate control, and all open air, in a tropical locale.. 🤔

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

I have always had the impression that GoldenEye had no glass in its windows either (at least initially), just the wooden slats, and therefore was extremely vulnerable to the elements as well. Jamaica is certainly very warm and sticky and despite those lovely cooling breezes from the sea, I agree with you km1fdm...not to mention the torrential rains.

edited December 2021

The jealousies at Goldeneye (and, one assumes, the ones in Bond's villa) are constructed in a way that when you shut them, they keep out rain and wind. They're clever pieces of engineering and craftsmanship and are quite effective.

There's no glass in the windows at Goldeneye; you probably don't want panes of glass in hurricane-prone areas.

• TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent

If you read the book Goldeneye, it often mentions the fact the place has no glass and as such it was often felt as damp and quite unpleasant by Flemings guests in the 50’s and 60’s. His wife grew to hate the place for many reasons, but it’s clear she found it quite squalid in the end. I would now hope as a luxury hotel, they would have done something to keep it ‘fresh’.

There are ceiling fans and air conditioning if you choose to keep the windows closed but, in my opinion, feeling the atmosphere and blurring the line between indoor and outdoor is part of the appeal of the place.

The Fleming villa has a full housekeeping staff and one assumes the linens and towels are never in use long enough to get damp or unpleasant.

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

There are few sounds better to fall asleep to than the crash of waves drifting through an open window. Perhaps the clickety-clack of a train is close...as long as they are not accompanied by someone wearing shoes with knives in the toes standing behind the door!

• JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 465MI6 Agent

Also on the list of Bond's belongings...EIGHT martini glasses.