The New Movie Thread

GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,149MI6 Agent

I thought I'd create this thread to post trailers/news/etc for upcoming movies that aren't Bond related but may appeal to the various interests of the board.

First up:

That looks like it could be a lot of fun!

Current rankings (updated 12/21)
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

Comments

• Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,354MI6 Agent

That looks excellent!

I saw the premiere of Swan Song at London's NFT on Wednesday, starring our own Naomi Harris. It's a very moving, beautifully acted, written and directed film:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B1juDROE4G0

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,149MI6 Agent
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 19,984MI6 Agent

Could this be the first ever good, big-budget viking movie? It's possible ..... 🤞

edited December 2021

I just saw the shortlist for Best International Feature Oscars. All the Nordic countries exept Sweden still have a horse in the race: Finland, Denmark, Iceland and my personal favourite Norway ("The worst person in the world"). Promising!

Has anyone seen the Danish entry "Flee"? I hear it's very good.

haven't seen that but I've seen two Danish films recently that were excellent, both with Mads Mikkelsen:

• ANOTHER ROUND
    • RIDERS OF JUSTICE

I've seen "Another round" too. Very good movie! It's rare to see a movie looks at both the negatives and positives of alcohol, but particularely the upside. Or so I'm told - personally I don't drink.

I medically can't drink (pancreatitis). It's a bummer as I did enjoy the occasional martini...

Great movie, though. I'm sure we'll get an American remake of it. RIDERS OF JUSTICE is already getting one.

edited January 12

Operation Mincemeat (2021)

Many of us have heard of Operation Mincemeat, a secret and imaginative operation in WWII that came from Ian Fleming's fertile brain. The western allies had conquered north Africa and next they were going to attack Italy. Unfortunately this was the obvious thing to do and the German forces were waiting for them there. The allies needed to trick the Germans into beliving the attack was coming in Greece. Ian Fleming wrote a list of ideas for secret operations, including "not a very nice one" for this exact problem. Let a corpse in staff officer uniform and a suitcase attached to his wrist float on shore in nazi-friendly Portugal. The suitcase would contain fake documents "proving" the upcoming invasion would come in Greece. It's an incredible story, Ben MacIntyre has written a fabelous book about it.

Now there's also a movie about it, based on MacIntyre's book. There is also a 1956 movie titled "The man who never was". The new movie is titled "Operation Mincemeat". It stars Colin Firth, Mathew MacFadyen, Kelly Macdonald, Simaon Russel Beale (Churchill), Jason Isacs (admiral Godfrey "M") and South African actor Johnny Flynn as Ian Fleming. The movie is on BAFTA's longlist for "Outstanding British film".

IMDB entry; Operation Mincemeat (2021) - IMDb

Trailer: OPERATION MINCEMEAT Trailer (2021) - YouTube

Promo photo (Ian Fleming on the far left).

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 25,634Chief of Staff
    edited January 12

It's an incredible story, Ben MacIntyre has written a fabelous book about it.

He certainly did…it is a cracking read…as are all of his books 🍸

YNWA 97
    Currently Head of Station C: Canada 🇨🇦
    edited March 22

The movie is directly based on MacIntyre' book.

holy cow, I've never heard of this! That cast is astounding.

A new Martin Campbell film. Looks like it could be promising:

of note: it has the Bellucci in it.

• IceQIceQ Posts: 276MI6 Agent

Couple of films I’ve seen this week that I’d recommend :

CODA - rather lovely without usual cheese of these kind of films

Nightmare Alley - had no preconception so was pleasantly surprised, great acting by all

DUNE - finally got to see it at cinema, didn’t want to watch on small screen, really stunning visuals and sound

DUNE was fantastic. I saw it on IMAX here in MN and loved it. The good news is that it totally works on the small screen as well but boy am I glad I saw it in IMAX. Bring on the sequel now.

Also, I've heard great things on CODA. I've been meaning to watch that.

Trailer for MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - DEAD RECKONING (part 1).

A low rez version of it leaked over the weekend and was stomped on by Paramount pretty quickly as well as they could...but it was out there. The good news is that the response to it was pretty positive so I guess Paramount decided to just go ahead and release it now.

Love it. You can't tell what the plot is but the action beats looks solid. Christopher McQuarrie is back from M:I 5 and 6 so I'm pretty confident that this one will be awesome.

Loving the return of Henry Czerny as Kittredge. He was one of the best parts of the first film and his return pleases me to no end.

• CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,292MI6 Agent

It took me a long time to warm to this franchise. I think I was finally won over by Cruise's crazy commitment to doing his own insane stunts. I love that the trailer highlights something as simple Cruise running. Because so few actors really do (Craig being an important exception!).

And as a Bond fan, I appreciate that the M:I franchise calls out to 007 constantly now. People will claim that fight on top of the train is a "rip off" of Skyfall. I'm more than willing to bet it's a tribute.

I'm also willing to be that Dead Reckoning (part 1) has the best action in it of any film next year. Wick or Extraction 2 might have better close combat stuff, but frankly Mission: Impossible does spectacle better than anyone, including Bond.

Great! The stunt from nearby Hellesylt is placed at the end of the trailer as a highlight! 😀

Another new one coming to Netflix: THE GRAY MAN

Of note, this is directed by the Russo brothers who did 4 of the better Marvel films.

My brother is a huge fan of these books and he's incredibly pumped for this. To me it seems generic but I guess there's something there to make it stand out. Regardless, this looks like a more than competent actioner.

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 2,631MI6 Agent

That new MI trailer looks awesome. Will be a nice palette cleanser and pick me up.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,607MI6 Agent
    edited May 25

Was ok. It tries to be different and it is at some points. It is what Liam does the best being an assassin, a gun for hire, single or divorced and basicly nothing to lose. Can't believe the man's 70years LOL Miss Bellucci has aged unfortunately, like we all do 😉

Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 2,631MI6 Agent

Just seen the Memory trailer. Looks pretty good. This and Backlight when it was released a few months ago have both crept under my radar.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I haven't seen it myself yet, but the new Netflix movie Troll should be good. It's a Norwegian movie and it's not about people who spend too much time on the internet. 😉

TROLL | Official Teaser | Netflix - YouTube

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 2,062MI6 Agent
    edited June 17

Took my Dad to see TOP GUN: MAVERICK this afternoon at the plush new Vue at Valley Park. We both thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll post a review later once I've digested it. Probably the most entertaining blockbuster I've watched in the cinema for a long time. Better than Marvel. Less complicated than M.I. No OO7 navel gazing. No sci-fi fantasy bollocks. Good music. Good photography. Good effects. Decent performances. Workmanlike script which touches all the right buttons. A bit obvious, but very very good.

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/comment/1045910#Comment_1045910

edited June 30

Les Seydoux is cast as Lady Margot in Dune: part 2

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 9,716MI6 Agent

The Harry Styles film Don't Worry Baby looks pretty trippy, touches of The Omen.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017