Bond Wardrobe Must Haves (seeking advice)

Extremely sorry if this isn't the right forum, or this isn't allowed

But.. I'm doing a spot of shopping on Monday in London for some new clothes and wondering what some of the Bond Must Have Staples are that i could pick up

I've only really started taking a sartorial cue from Bond more recently (although my wedding suit was made by the same Tailor who made the OHMSS wedding suit)

I have a good range of Riviera Polos and the R&B Henley and a lovely knitted shawl cardi - what other smart casual things should I be picking up whilst in town (doesn't have to be screen accurate)

Comments

• mynameisbond007mynameisbond007 Posts: 68MI6 Agent

Can’t go wrong with an rgt jacket

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Also a navy Harrington is a must have, doesn’t really matter on the brand as long as it’s quality, maybe a Baracuta.

What’s the background regards your OHMSS wedding suit? Who was the tailor?

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • AgentCJ19AgentCJ19 Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    edited January 2022

I had it made at Major Tailors in Fulham by the son of Dimi Major who tailored the suits for OHMSS - we had a few changes made to make it a tad more modern (nothing major) whilst keeping the look and feel of the one worn by Lazenby (grey trousers and waistcoat with the midnight blue jacket)

my way of having a Bond fandom be a subtle part of the big day

I was thinking of a Navy Harrington, can't see anywhere in London selling Baracuta - has anyone got any experience of the Olebar Brown Octopussy Harrington?

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent

I have the OB Octopussy Harrington. I got it during the Mr Porter clearance a year ago. It's really not worth the price OB charges for it. At a deep discount the price is closer to what it should be.

It's a very light weight jacket which I like. The styling is fine. The very small collar hook is impractical. I haven't worn it out. Too many jackets and not enough safe places to go in these times.

• JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 462MI6 Agent

If you're also looking for shoes then a pair of brown suede chukka boots might be a possibility to go with your Riviera polos.

• sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent

I would go for the Royale Harrington which is awesome. I own a navy Baractua one and i think the Royale one is definitely more sleek and Bond.

Others on this forum hate matchless as they feel it ripped off JV and they dont like the badge but i own several of the Craig Blouson in wet navy and black nappa leather and also suede (natural and navy). I have worn the navy suede version and it looks awesome.

I am also a fan of the Tom Ford Polo from spectre and have several colours but i also like the styling so much i have bought alternatives - John Smedley Noah in Navy is really nice or Orlebar brown Mallorry or whatever their new equivalent to that model is as i think its been discontinued. Magnoli one in navy I've worn and got compliments each time, more so than wearing the real one!!

I have the OB harrington as well and have worn it....nice but as mentioned above total rip off for the price so also glad i got it on clearance as its just a cotton jacket.

In terms of Chukka boots i got the dark brown John White Westbury - amazing quality and stylish...even got them for my dad. also own the Sanders Chukka in Brown and Black but have only ever worn the black ones.

TF ties - got loads and never worn as no one wears ties any more in office!

edited January 2022

ah yes I forgot that, I do have the Churches already

the OB octopussy harrington is £199 at the moment (so almost half price) thoughts on it at that much?

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Don't forget sunglasses!

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent

Yes I went for the same look at my wedding, though the Major link would have been cool, I just sourced look-a-likes.

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent

I got mine for around $230. Still a little overpriced at that price point. Really up to whether you really like the details. £199 isn't bad. If returns still allowed go for it and see if you will be happy with it.

• SadanoyamaSadanoyama Posts: 35MI6 Agent

I would suggest the N.Peal OHMSS cashmere mock turtle neck. I got one for Christmas and it looks really good. Lots of admiring comments etc. I find the OB stuff vastly overpriced for stuff that is basically TM Lewin/ Hawes and Curtis quality.

If you can find it at a decent price, the Barbour Beacon jacket is very versatile and solid construction. I get lots of wear out of mine. The T&A Dr NO shirt is also well made but not cheap. I've had one for five years and it's still on active duty. Goes well with a shawl cardigan.

• apple8apple8 London,UKPosts: 140MI6 Agent

I picked up the OB jacket in last January’s Mr Porter sale for £148, completely underwhelmed by it even at that price, I never wore it and ended up selling it on eBay a few months later for £100.

• MailfistMailfist Posts: 236MI6 Agent

Would definitely add a long sleeve polo to your collection.

Also a dark blue polo neck/roll neck/turtle neck (depending where you live) for the LALD vibe.

A navy blue round neck cable knit sweater for the GE look. On of my staples for the winter

thanks guys, I'll be keeping an eye out for a harrington (anyone any experience with the Barbour Steve McQueen Harrington?)

I've been looking at more jumpers/sweaters it's something I don't have much of, I was actually considering an Arthur Beale sweater, I know it's not Bond but a 400 year old British brand that makes naval sweaters seems like something that could/would be Bond (although I'm sure a slimmer moidern take on it made by Tom Ford no doubt) https://arthurbeale.co.uk/products/arthur-beale-beerenberg-pullover

I'll pop in to their store to look at it anyway but most replies here have me thinking it's one to avoid buying

• _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent

Keen to see what you pick up!

Murder | Employment.

I'll probably end up coming back with nothing 😂

disappointingly this was somewhat accurate in the end! I enjoyed the suggestions, advice and convo so thanks! But London shopping disappointed me, whether I had too lofty expectations or because most stores carried a tiny portion of what they offer online (or more likely a combo of both) I didn't come away with any Bond items.

I did get a nice suede trucker jacket and a pair of suede loafers though and had a nice dinner with my wife and mother afterwards so not a bad afternoon