BAFTAS and OSCARS

13»

Comments

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent

Billie Eilish won the Oscar? I didn't hear that 😎

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent

It's still feeling a bit strange, I haven't seen King Richard, it doesn't quite appeal. It feels like a lot of these films don't really exist, due to the pandemic. It all feels a bit suffocating. It's like the year didn't really happen. I feel I have to sneak along the cinema these days, backing out if too many people have booked seats. I backed out of seeing Diamonds are Forever at the Prince Charles for that very reason. A trip to the cinema feels surreptitious and potentially dangerous, as if heading off to a strip joint or something.

I didn't know Billie Eillish got best Oscarn on the day, it wasn't even much on Twitter and I have a lot of Bond followers. The mainstream UK news didn't cover it much - any of the Oscars - the following morning.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,704MI6 Agent

I know what you mean, I'm not desperate for the cinema either. Maybe if I had more days off I'd go along in the day, but I seem to be booked the whole time.

• writingsonthewallwritingsonthewall SpainPosts: 417MI6 Agent

I tend to go to the cinema during the work week - my schedule so allows. I've found Tuesdays at the earlier showings to be the best days in order to sometimes even having the whole theatre to oneself. But I do get you, and even under such favourable circumstances I tend to go sparsely and select which movies are worth the experience. A pity to be sure, but these are our times now.

(And yes, OF COURSE Bond was one of those occasions that made the risk worthwhile).

"Enjoy it while it lasts."
    "The very words I live by."
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,253MI6 Agent

I've been on holiday. Thanks [?] for moving my thread.

Will Smith is an idiot. But his actions shouldn't detract from his winning an award, although I haven't seen the film so can't judge his performance yet. It must be better than the one he gave on Oscar night.

Regards CODA, which no one has mentioned: another 'worthy' film which in time will be considered a head scratcher question on pub quiz nights. This is the problem with having ten nominations for best picture, there are too many variables and people end up voting for a film they feel ought to win rather than the most accomplished. Previous recent examples include Moonlight, Green Book, 12 Years a Slave, Argo, Parasite, The Departed.

Regards BILLIE EILISH, well done, not my favourite Bond song, but congratulations and it is good to see OO7 finally getting recognition for its music even though we will never understand how Chim Chim Cherree won an Oscar yet Goldfinger never even got a nomination...