How do you rate NTTDs PTS compared to all the other PTS sequences?

2»

Comments

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 2,062MI6 Agent

I've been on holiday and am catching up on all things AJB and found this post stuck in the draft 'Leave A Comment' box. I read it. It's a rubbish post, but I'll leave you guys to say what you will about it - and I know you bloody well will...

Speaking as a writer, there is a general acceptance that when constructing a novel, the opening and closing chapters should be the shortest. The opening scene sets and presents the overarching topic or a segment of it, it is designed to intrigue and draw the reader into the story. The closing chapter is more or less a coda, resolving the remaining loose ends, ensuring the characters and story have closure. Cinematically, we can see the coda in action in NTTD, but the preface is all over the place, introducing a host of themes and story arcs which are too numerous to take in with any authority. That's the problem with these enormous PTS films, they go far beyond the requirements of an opening salvo. If we look at the 'classic' sixties period of PTS each of them delivers the preface format, although perhaps not in the completely traditional form, GF for instance doesn't introduce the topic at all, rather it shows Bond as a man of action, and explains how he ended up in Miami. The extended PTS doesn't neglect the theory, but they do it with such tremendous depth they cease to be a teaser and become part of the overall movie and story, or worse a completely separate story. GE and SF are particularly bad in this. SP could easily have stopped after the collapse of the building, a neat three / four minutes of interest. Curiously, two of the very best PTS have come during the Craig-Bond era, the three minute violence fostered tomes of CR and QOS, which fulfil the requirements of the opening chapter perfectly: we meet the central character, we begin to understand who he is and something of his background by what he is doing, we also meet an antagonist, there is a moment of extreme excitement, the chapter ends with a scene, or a line, which begs us to follow up and read (view) more. Creating these mini-movies, doesn't do this: we meet more people than the central character (M, Moneypenny, Madeleine, Q, numerous antagonists, a whole room-full in TWINE, etc) . They are basically yawn inducing.