War Drums

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 19,646MI6 Agent

Questions to "the class":

• Do you think Russian state controlled media like the RT TV channel and the net site Sputnik should be closed like the EU has done?
    • Do you support a cultural boycot of Russia? You know, stop Russian novels, symphony orchestras, theatres etc. from publishing or performing in the West?

Zelensky outlaws pro-Russian political parties. Not a wise movie.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 7,813MI6 Agent
    edited March 20

No, it'll sadly only add credence to Putin's neo-Nazi claims about the Ukrainian leadership, however discredited they are. It's all grist to the mill of Putin's propaganda and misinformation machine and Zelensky shouldn't be feeding it anything or scoring any own goals.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    edited March 25

There are neo-nazi elements in Ukraine such as the Azov Battallon, and Ukraine and for some time Ukraine had to rely a lot on them becaus eof their equipment and experience. But many countries have neo-nazis, including Russia. This is the commander of the Wagner Group - a mercerary unit with very close ties to Putin.

Zelenski on the other hand is jewish and lost family members during the holocaust. (he just spoke to the Israeli parliament and compared the Russian invasion to the holocaust. He should know better). The Right Sector, the Ukrainian neo-nazi party got about two percent of the votes in the latest elelction. The claims of Ukraine being run by neo-nazis are riddicolous.

• 00730073 COPPosts: 904MI6 Agent

Now that the Russias "Special Military Operation" is in, what Kremlin says; full swing and making great strides... 🙄 Here is Mark Feltons great recap of another, just as well executed, "Special Military Operation" -that time it was "Winter Special Military Operation"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkxbDwsJo38

The Ukrainian defenders have not been lacking in strength and determination! However this turns out in the long run, they have certainly earned their place among the Hallowed Heroes in history, who went above and beyond to defend their home and hearth against an unjust and ignominious assault on their homeland.

My honest wish is, that history repeats itself and just as it was in the winter of 39-40, the invaders will be forever remembered for their failure.

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
    -Mr Arlington Beech

Mark Felton is a great place to find small, forgotten and facinating stories from our history, especially WWII. Mark Felton Productions - YouTube

The Winter W ---- Special Military Operation isn't a small story. A former member of the Russian empire that broke free a couple of decades earlier and developed an independent democracy. Russia attacks to get a wider buffer between Russia and a hostile world (at least that's one of the reasons). The smaller country shows an impressive and unexpected fighting spirit, but the rest of the world is unwilling to get directly involved. Yes, it sounds familiar.

The Ukrainian delegation are told not to eat, drink or even be careful not to touch anything during their negotiations with Russia in Turkey. Trust is important in negotiations .... 😅

I wonder if they check the stairs, to make sure it won't turn into a slide.... or chairs for electric connections.

-Mr Arlington Beech

🤣🤣

NATOs best PR man of 2022! 🥇

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,014MI6 Agent
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

I found this video on BBC News. It supposedly shows a civilian car navigating some landmines on a road. As a former combat engineer I can see they are anti-tank mines, but it all looks strange. The mines are completely visible so it should be easy to just move them, but there is a risk they are booby-trapped (but it's not easy hiding the trap when the mine is completely exposed. What's the point of putting a mine field there? It's easy to spot them at a distance on the long stretch of road, so no-one will drive into it. The only way I can see this mine field being effective against an army unit is if it's combined with an ambush, probably using anti-tank missiles.

Ukraine war: Cars appear to drive around landmines placed in road near Kyiv - BBC News

• IceQIceQ Posts: 263MI6 Agent

My impression was that it was deterrent - slow or stop any vehicle coming down the road while still allowing it to be navigable

edited April 2

Yes, but it's no real use slowing them down a bit if you can't follow up with an attack. If just slowing down vehicles was the objective it would make far more sense to use a "Spanish rider" or other non-explosive obstacles.

It seems to me that using anti-tank mines without a follow-up ambush is a waste of valuable assests and an unneccesary danger to civilians. I would blow up/destroy some of the asphalt cover (just here and there, make it look like mortar hits or something) on the road and hide mines in some of the holes if blowing up tanks is the objective, and it often is using anti-tank mines. Of course you have to be very sure there won't be any civilian traffic on the road.

They basic rule is, that you have to be able to cover the minefield some how or the enemy will just destroy it (or pick it up and use against you). Either with at and small arms fire or with antipersonnel mines and booby traps.

That video just shows poor execution caused by poor training /discipline.

-Mr Arlington Beech

I have a theory: it could be from the pull-out of Russian forces north of Kiev. I've read they used landminer to but time. Just putting mines on the road could five them a half an your extra and the troops could've been demoralized not to vare that the mines will be used by Ukrainan forces against their own.

• MrZarebaMrZareba Krakow, PolandPosts: 1,775MI6 Agent

I live in Krakow which is like 160 km from the Ukrainian border and I'm pretty much depressed for a month now. First of all because the future doesn't seem bright anymore, secondly because I saw countless cars on Ukrainian plates, filled with clothing and people, trying to get as far away from their home as possible. I was once waiting on a highway entrance surrounded by 7 or 8 Ukrainian cars fleeing from their country and I just started crying.

One thing that unfortunately I had to learn is to limit reading news because you check them constantly in the hope this will end, someone will kill off the whole Kremlin gang or whatever - but it won't. This will last.

On another note, just found out today that Tom Ford is still running his shops in Russia. As someone who was once dreaming to afford stuff made by him I now feel ashamed that I have actually stuff with his logo on it. I don't understand why he's still operating in that terrorist state.

edited April 4

Thanks for posting. Around here the war doesn't affect is much beyond higher petrol prices (and even more income for the government), so it's good to get input from someone closer to the events. We're all having dark thoughts these days, but remember it won't last forever. The winter war in Finland ended, WWII ended, the Soviet Union eventially ended and many things got better with time. The Spanish civil war had even darker moments than what we see now, and now Spain is a democracy where people like to go on holliday!

edited April 4

I know but you see - I just have been promoted. I was working years for this. I'm working for a great American company now and I just wanted to be happy but no - literally 2 weeks after that, the war broke out and now I'm not sure what to think. Before I was dreaming about a future in New York but now I'm worried for my mum and other relatives who live here, I can't just leave them like that. There is a noticeable fear in Poland that the russian animals won't stop at Ukraine, or even Moldava or Georgia. Polish people seem to agree that trying to reason Putin's action is very mistaken, hence why all that talk about Putin not attacking a NATO country is not really something we believe around here. You hear more and more that he will go for the Baltics, starting with Estonia (smallest one, least important for the treaty) and then advance his way towards Poland. Despite the fact that I obviously was born after the cold war, we were though in school about how WWII broke out and how much treaties were worth. Poland was left alone in 39' despite having "guarantees" from France and UK, both countries did nothing and since Poland is not really a very important international player (especially today with this bullshit government we have) I doubt our allies would do anything. My honest opinion is that the Americans would take action once Germany would be threatened.

From my perspective it's the appeasement policy all over again. Let Putin have his stuff and he will eventually stop - that's exactly what the Brits thought about Hitler unfortunately, the russians probably know that. We think with reason and try to avoid conflict. They don't. There was an interview with a russian man some time ago somewhere where he was asked whether he would like to live in Switzerland. He replied - "Why would I want to live in such a small country?". That describes the mentality of an averege, not well educated russian. They thing about size, military, power. They don't care about peace, economy, international relations. They don't have much to loose because they're usually pretty poor and they were thought that the west is to blame for it. It's a country you can't win with. It's been like that for a thousand years now and probably won't change soon.

I see. Personally I have more faith in NATO than you have. If a NATO member is attacked and NATO dorsn't do anything, many members will think "but what if it's us Back in the (first) cold war the general who was SACLANT (Supreme Allied commander Atlantic) said: "If we lose Norway and don't get it back in three days, we'll go for the nuclear option". Not an uplifitng thought, but there it is.

I also wonder about Hungary where Orban just got four more years, a man who brags about being Putin's friend. Or perhaps the next American president is a man who doesn't care about democracy that much, doesn't like international organisations like NATO and admires Putin. It may sound incredible today, but I belive such a man can become US president. 😉

These things can create problems and they worry me. But I think the pressure to follow Article 5 and protect all NATO members is strong, Really think Poland is safe. Much like Hitler and Stalin's invasion of Poland in 1939 was the red line (Hitler got further before he was stopped, but no-one negotiated with or trusted him again), I think Ukraine is the red line today. I also think NATO is stronger in more than one sense than Britain and France was in 1939.

We see horrible images from Ukraine as Russian forces are forced to pull out of the suburbs of Kiev. We didn't expect to see war crimes in Europe in 2022. It looks like Putin no longer cares if Russia loses all credibility in democratic countries. He belives he can keep the truth from his own people and instead co-operate with countries like China that doesn't care much about freedom and human rights. As MrZareba says, it's depressing.

It get's worse. In Mariupol the Russians are using mobile crematoriums to burn the victims of their war crimes. Imagine being raped, murdered and then burned. This is Auschwitz level of brutality at this point. This article is in Polish but I'm sure you'll find similar stories in English, it's just the pictures that hit me here.

https://tvn24.pl/swiat/ukraina-mobilne-krematoria-w-mariupolu-rosjanie-ich-uzywaja-by-ukryc-dowody-zbrodni-5666053

edited April 7

I've heard of the mobile crematoriums, but it as been belived they were for Russian soldiers to avoid sending too many body bags back to Russia. Knowing war crimes are being done in a neighbour country must be horrible in any case. Keep the faith! To quote the Norwegian WWII hero Max Manus: it usually ends well!

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 7,813MI6 Agent

Maps certainly seemed to have changed a bit since I last studied Geography. 😉

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Perhaps you and Vladimir Putin studied geography at different schools? 😁

• Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 2,885MI6 Agent

Where's the enclave for the Putin wing of the Republican Party?

Yes, it would appear so. Amongst other things. 😉

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,014MI6 Agent
    Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton