The literary Bond minimalist/capsule wardrobe

Dear members, in the books Bond basically has two navy suits, a trench coat, tweed jacket and dinner jacket (talk about a capsule wardrobe!).

what would his capsule wardrobe look like in 2022?

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent

And a houndstooth jacket/suit too.

Probably be the same in 2022. It’s a pretty English staple.

..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Matt BMatt B Posts: 366MI6 Agent
    edited March 2022

Ah yes, the houndstooth jacket! I always forget that one! Brilliant!

A black suit isn’t that versatile in London society, more reserved for formal events or funerals. I’d take two Navy suits in different materials if pushed to minimalise. And maybe a grey birdseye or sharkskin suit.

• TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent

Don't forget the shoes to match as well, mostly slip on and moccasin in the book, but I think DC had it pretty much spot on in the modern era with Churches and C&J

100%. Never a fan of literary Bonds footwear.

USA style is very different from traditional London style. Although Bond broke many of the rules. I really couldn’t see him wearing a black suit outside of formal occasions. It’s a mourning or evening thing, and still a remnant from years back as the colour that staff and servants would wear. Although a black blazer is fine.

oh Yes, the “Bond abhorred laces”! 😂

agreed, DC’s shoe game is extremely good!

Very Interesting point about how Brits view black suits vs blue and grey. I have a few Windsor TF black suits but mainly wear them at night to dinners with a white shirt like TF himself and I think it looks great however it’s probably because of the cut of the suit and the wide lapels (definitely not a Bond look) and if I wore it during the day I agree, looks like one works in a shop!

edited March 2022

Do you wear dinner jackets to events in London? Such as theatre and ballet? Nice dinners? In New York one can definitely dress up to lots of things and not feel overdressed (I’ve only been to London as a tourist so curious how locals do things).

edited March 2022

Absolutely, if you walk through London in the evening you’ll see loads of people in black tie, sometimes white the later you get. I remember coming across one elder gent in white tie and hideous rainbow polka dot socks sleeping on a moped in the line of locked up Vespas early one one morning in St James Square. I thought he was dead, but he was still half cut and had a go at me for waking him up🤣. It was those socks that I can remember vividly still

Family gatherings are still black tie events too, Christmas and Boxing Day white tie. New Years Eve black tie. Although family gatherings at the latter events are getting rarer as we have all spread out across the country as the years go on. Sad really.

• TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent

Its remarkable how many Brits do dress up for formal occasions still, its as important as BBC presenters wearing ties, unless they are a war zone!

I moved to New Zealand about 8 years ago, and as much as I love it here, like Aussie, its a very informal country, and my first job over here people would laugh and mock if I wore a tie to a business meeting.. I usually cut them down by reminding them its not my fault they don't have any class.

Ha ha hilarious about the drunk guy!

I love that about the Brits - sticking to formality in a way that’s pretty rare here unless you live in a Ralph Lauren ad 😂

edited January 2023